You are here

SPDIF cable

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SPDIF cable

Postby wireman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:34 pm

To explain a little more. With early Ethernet you used coax which was termed thick (10-Base5) or thin (10-Base2). A computer was attached to a transceiver which connected to the ethernet cable.
With twisted pair there was some time when a transceiver was used before this all became intergrated and you plugged directly into the network.
My (very) old computer could be used with a thin ethernet transceiver and for a short time I could connect it to a PC with a network card that had that connection as well as twisted pair. Now I don't have any thin ethernet to connect it to so a transceiver to twisted pair is what I would need.
wireman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Wireman. You can buy 'Baluns' that take BNC and transform it to 100 Ohm twisted pair outputting on an RJ45.

Google "Helerman Tyton Data" but 'Zon might be cheaper if they have them.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Sorry, it was saying you needed a TX that confused me, I read 'transceiver to mean both transmitter and receiver. Either way I did have a quick look as I thought I might have an old coax type Ethernet card but looks like I binned them a while ago unless they are buried somewhere.

Isn't 10BaseT twisted pair/Cat5?

edit :- you've answered that, thanks.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby wireman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:35 pm

ef37a wrote:Wireman. You can buy 'Baluns' that take BNC and transform it to 100 Ohm twisted pair outputting on an RJ45.

Google "Helerman Tyton Data" but 'Zon might be cheaper if they have them.

Dave.

Thanks, will look.

By the way there was a TX but it was 100BaseTX, the post designation meaning Twisted Pair (T) with a particular encoding (X). Had to check google as I forgot the terms.
wireman
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Gosh! I set a bit of discussion going here, didn't I? Anyway, the point is if you're doing Wordclock use the right stuff :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 pm

I've learned a fair bit from it though which is good.

And i do understand the TX* confusion now too #wireman :)

* TX and RX being commonly used to refer to transmitter and receiver respectively in the radio world.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous