You are here

Show Us Your Studio!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Show Us Your Studio!

Postby hopscotch44 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 pm

how are you guys getting photos up here?
i see some older posts have blocked images too?

what am i missing

sorry to lower the tone
hopscotch44
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm

I used to use dropbox but they changed the format a couple of years ago and you can no longer display pics hosted on there, only link to them, it could be that is why some older ones are now blocked.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:50 pm

I think most people use imgur now.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Finally got round to taking some pics of the current studio - it never seems to look tidy so this is about as neat as its gets...

Looking into the recording room

This is the view from the couch

The recorder corner
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 pm

How many tape machines?!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm

I wondered where the 1980s had gone. Nice to know they're thriving in James' studio! :lol: :thumbup:

Nice!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:51 pm

My original ambition was to own a studio just like the ones I used to use when I was in bands in the 80's. The collection of gear was built up gradually as I could afford it (or as clients asked for it in the case of some bits of kit). Of course the modern recording setup all fits in a 4U rack case which can be seen sitting behind the ADAT's .
James Perrett

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 pm

I had an A77 for a good while, wish I'd never sold it.... Not really any point now but I do miss having the 'mickey mouse ears' (as my wife called them) revolving somewhere.....

Though, if I wasn't trying to de-clutter, another Revox would be a nice thing to have (maybe I could afford a B77 this time around......)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 am

They're both good machines Sam - there is actually an A77 sitting in the brown case under the mixer which needs a bit of restoring. I bought the B77 before I had really used an A77 so I was pleasantly surprised by how refined the A77 was when I finally got to use one given that it was designed at least 10 years before the B77.
James Perrett

Postby Jorge » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:57 am

James that is quite an impressive collection of equipment! One question, how do you think having all the racks and electronics in a studio with a low ceiling affects the acoustics?
Jorge
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 am

The low ceiling isn't great for acoustics but I've tried to lessen the effect by the liberal use of absorbent panels. All the corners on the front wall are also configured as corner bass traps and there are some thicker panels at the back of the studio too.

As far as equipment goes, reflections from the mixing desk are the main issue. There is a definite comb filtering effect if you have your head over the desk. To overcome this I just move my chair back slightly when I want to evaluate a change that I've made. The big Tannoy speakers act almost like a point source so they can be used from only a short distance away which means that reflections from other objects in the room have less effect. The stereo imaging from them can be amazingly focused and I often have to check which speakers I'm using as, on narrowly panned material, I can fool myself into thinking that the sound is coming from the LS3/5a's.
James Perrett

Postby BillB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 pm

blinddrew wrote:How many tape machines?!

That’s what I thought, but if you look at James’ list of services
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk/services.html

...it all makes sense.
BillB
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Far more 'home studio-ey' than Jame's.

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

BillB wrote:
blinddrew wrote:How many tape machines?!

That’s what I thought, but if you look at James’ list of services
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk/services.html

...it all makes sense.

I badly need to update that page. I've added a 1" 24 track machine as well as better A/D's since then.
James Perrett

Postby BillB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I think it makes the point quite well: anything old to anything new :ugeek:
BillB
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Music Wolf wrote:Far more 'home studio-ey' than Jame's.

Looks like a well treated creative space to me. I also like the neat cable storage - I deliberately didn't show any pictures of mine as it is an old coat stand that is rather overloaded.
James Perrett

Postby Jorge » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

James Perrett wrote:The low ceiling isn't great for acoustics but I've tried to lessen the effect by the liberal use of absorbent panels...
As far as equipment goes, reflections from the mixing desk are the main issue. There is a definite comb filtering effect if you have your head over the desk...

Thanks. I have a similar setup, with low ceiling, although with congas and other percussion instruments and unused equipment taking up much of the space, rather than vintage equipment that you use. I have also found that a combination of well placed thick absorption panels and trying to emphasize the nearfield sound over the reflected sound both help a lot. Raising the nearfield monitors and larger speakers about a foot higher than usual in my setup helped quite a bit with the angle of reflection off the console/desk and I don't have to sit back quite as far. Higher monitors do require good absorption on the low ceiling, however.
I also have tried hard to find storage outside the acoustic space for some of the equipment I am not using at the moment (extra instruments and PA speakers), and that does "open up" the sound of the room a little bit. Could be psychological but when I close my eyes and listen, I think I can subliminally hear the reflections off of the extra instruments and equipment that sometimes clutter my studio. I haven't tried A vs B recordings or A vs B mixing with and without my clutter, however, and don't know if clearing stuff out helps with better recorded sound or translation of mixes.
Jorge
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Well I don't think it qualifies as a studio, but I'm really happy to finally have a music room thing again. Some acoustic treatment is now a likely winter project I think.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Logarhythm, what’s the amazing pedalboard organ thingy on the right?
BillB
Regular

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 pm

TL;DR - It's a project that I was gifted but may never actually finish!

It's a pipe organ emulator - a combination of the custom controller you can see in the picture, and a corresponding software instrument. A friend's grandfather passed away a few years ago and the family didn't know what to do with it, so they gave it to me. The chap was quite clearly a genius and this was the final evolution of something he'd been thinking about for years, but the technology wasn't there until the early 2000s to make it workable in the way he'd clearly been musing on since the late 70s.
When I went to look at it, about 50% of his studio/workshop/mancave was almost like a museum on the history of the evolution of sample/synth based music tech, and the other 50% was endless shelves of books on electrical engineering, organ design, music theory, synthesis, and an astonishing collection of scores for endless pieces of organ music. I'm kind of in awe of how creative and intelligent he was - a professor of linguistics who did this as his hobby, along with playing the organ to what I'm told was a very high standard, having given performances at some fairly impressive cathedrals.

The pedal board actually came from a real organ originally - his first "home" organ was a pipe organ that a church no longer wanted, and he had to bend all the pipes 90 degrees to run along the roof of his long and low (as compared to the height of even a modest organ) workshop to fit it in. Must have sounded quite intimidating in there!
There was one of almost every generation of computer that could do any sort of sequencing, from a BBC Micro through Ataris, Amigas etc up to what was once a top of the range 3XS system that this thing runs on (not yet set up in the pictures above - I need to sort a new monitor for it and it's in a gargantuan case, so I probably also need a proper double KB stand for my synths to make a bit more space). Similarly, there were various generations of synths, and an assortment of samplers from Akai and Yamaha, as well as the Korg DSS-1 that I now have behind the EX7.

The two manuals in the main unit seems to be fairly standard MIDI keybeds, but I've no idea where he got the switches for the rest of the console controls. The wooden case is his own construction. He was quite a practical chap - aside from the numerous iterations of organ and most of the furniture in his workshop, he built the 30' river cruiser that was moored on the river at the end of their garden.
The pedals, keyboards and swell pedal link together into a box containing a "brain" that sends data via USB, and this controls a sample-based software instrument of his own creation, that does a pretty good impersonation of a full pipe organ, or rather, some of a pipe organ. Alas he died before he finished it, and sadly I never met him, so it's something of a challenging project - I have never been a particularly competent coder and this is written in a programming language that was completely new to me, there is obviously no user manual, and whilst he did keep reasonably good notes, these span all his organ-related musings across a period that I'd guess starts in the late 70s / early 80s through to the construction of this, so finding specific information is quite challenging...
Alas I haven't actually found any circuit diagrams either, so the "brain" part is going to be a reverse-engineering headache if it ever goes wrong. Oh, and as yet I'm a very long way from being a proficient organist.
Aside from that, it's a really useful instrument :lol:

Now that I've got almost enough space to have it set up I really need to get round to doing a full write-up on it and get some proper audio samples too.
I get the impression he did this pretty much full time after retiring and still didn't complete it, so I've no idea if I'll actually ever get it finished :blush:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

PreviousNext