You are here

Show Us Your Studio!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Show Us Your Studio!

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm

While I appreciate the idea, it does seem a shame to effectively destroy much the guys hard work. If it were me (and yes, I know it's not) the only thing I'd want to remove would be the big PC, and replace it with something much smaller, but still effectively doing the same job.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:35 pm

I don't know enough about the project to comment really...

I assumed the idea was to make a playable organ controlled from that console -- in which case the MIDI encoder route and Hauptwerk organ software would be would be quick, easy, computer OS agnostic, and deliver superb results.

However, if the idea is to resurrect a bespoke and unique software platform working with a console connected via a custom interface... that's a whole different kettle of piranhas...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Logarhythm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm

It's sort of both, but more the latter unfortunately, Hugh. The controller part of it was really just a means to an end, I believe.

The sound generation aspect was definitely his primary focus. I think if he was alive now he'd probably just explore the Hauptwerk route that you've suggested, in the same way that he'd obviously tried previously - there was at least one of almost every generation of digital sampler since the mid 80s gathering dust in his workshop, with the DSS-1 that now resides with another forum member also serving as a basic midi KB in his rig (the organ didn't sit near anything as vulgar as a computer screen - it looked out over the river towards the boat he built, and was surrounded by shelves of innumerable scores).
I don't think there was anything similar available when he started this, so the bulk of the time/effort of the project was definitely the software side of things.
Losing ye olde PC is first priority I think - if I can get the software moved over to run on my main PC as a start then it'll feel slightly less onerous, and I can then progress the currently rather daunting task of deciphering what is, and what isn't, currently already coded. From a bit of idle twiddling I believe that implementation of some of the stops is the main unfinished area. If the task looks too big, bearing in mind the absence of any conversation with him, no structured notes, and my experience/skill with software being at the non-existent end of the spectrum, then I'll give Hautpwerk a go I think. Figuring out the hardware interface should be reasonably doable, and given the number of books on MIDI that were on his shelves I have a (possibly foolish) hope that it might just spit out MIDI through the USB link to the "brain" part, and thus could be as simple as pointing it at MIDI-OX and crossing my fingers...

I feel an element of responsibility given that his family have gifted (cursed? :? ) me with this legacy of his!
Having said that, I also think that his son and grandson would be pretty pleased if it just did vaguely organy things that resulted in organy noises, which is another point in Hauptwerk's favour...

You missed out on seeing it after the SoSage meet but if you find yourself in Exeter then you're more than welcome to come and have a twiddle :thumbup:

(And Will, if you find yourself taking a sojourn to the south west then I may stock up on Hobnobs with which to bribe you for assistance :lol: )
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm

Logarhythm wrote:(And Will, if you find yourself taking a sojourn to the south west then I may stock up on Hobnobs with which to bribe you for assistance :lol: )

So that could be 4 reasons to take a trip in that general direction :lol:
Many moons ago, I spent a fortnight traveling round that way, B&B-ing for a couple of nights at various places that seemed interesting. I wonder if that is still viable.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Logarhythm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Folderol wrote:So that could be 4 reasons to take a trip in that general direction :lol:
Many moons ago, I spent a fortnight traveling round that way, B&B-ing for a couple of nights at various places that seemed interesting. I wonder if that is still viable.

Yep, and if you pick your timing well then you'll get some reasonable weather for exploring but avoid the school holiday price-hikes / general busyness that comes with the influx of tourists selfishly propping up Devon and Cornwall's economies...
PM me if it looks likely - might have overcome my current phase of indecisive procrastination and acquired a new toy by then too. And it sounds like I probably need to have a look at one of these YoshimiPi things ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Previous