You are here

HHB Burnit CD recorder - low speed media?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

HHB Burnit CD recorder - low speed media?

Postby mcguirk » Tue May 22, 2007 9:36 am

In one of our studios, we've got a HHB Burnit CD recorder as a master recorder. It's been proving extremely unreliable, with lots of disc errors upon writing the PMA - resulting in a disc with nowt on it!

On the HHB site, it says that you should only use "low speed media" with the recorder. This isn't enormously helpful, as low speed media is proving extremely difficult to find nowadays. The only low-speed media I seem to be able to find at any of the suppliers we can use at work are CD-RW discs. But then it raises the issue of playability on domestic hi-fi.

Anyway, if anyone on here has experience of this unit, and has any tips for reliable and easily available media, it would be really helpful. Many thanks.
mcguirk
Regular

Re: HHB Burnit CD recorder - low speed media?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 22, 2007 9:48 am

Low speed media means anything with a speed range of 1-12 or thereabouts. Most media these days seems to be 24x and upwards, which is not ideal.

HHB sell suitable low speed media themselves and it is generally of very good quality.

However, I don't think this is your problem. The CD burner should be able to put something even a high speed disc. Your suggestion that it puts nothing on at all would implie that it is a very poorly machine. I would think it likely that the laser is on its way out, ot it has some other serious defect.

Best solution would be to have it assessed by HHB, and then take it from there -- either sevice or replace.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 am

Am I right in thinking that you work for an educational establishment? Last time I checked, PMD were on the Universities' approved suppliers list and they had low speed Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui media.

I would agree with Hugh though - if the problems are finalising the disc at the end of the process rather than recognising the disc at the start then it could well be a burner issue.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby BigAl » Tue May 22, 2007 11:57 am

I have the HHB CDR850 and have little no problems burning to any blank CD I happen to have at the time.
I did have issues with it once and it was the recorder which was at fault (which I got fixed).
In general, a very reliable machine.
BigAl
Regular

Postby mcguirk » Tue May 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Cheers for the advice, folks. Yeah, the problems are intermittent - often it will be fine for a few days, and then have a day of refusing to finalise or write the PMA on any discs you use. Lots of "CHECK DISC" or "REPAIR" errors, almost always followed by what appears to be a blank disc (although it's effectively ruined, albeit with some data on it).

We're into the summer break now, so I'll give HHB a call and maybe drop it down to them.
mcguirk
Regular

Postby turtles » Tue May 22, 2007 11:09 pm

I've encountered this problem before with a Marantz 630 recorder; the recording element failed completely about four months later. Get it checked out- no point having a mastering recorder that doesn't record a master properly :-)

In the meantime, if you have critical audio on the failed discs, chances are the data may still be on the disc even though the disc appears blank to a player. As long as the disc has been physically burned (i.e. you can see the marks on the writeable side of the disc) the data should be recoverable with IsoBuster (freeware) which performs a low-level rip of any disc in one continuous datastream, and then examines it and allows you to rebuild audio or data files.

I found that it was often only the first four or five data blocks that had been burned incorrectly which corresponded to about 0.3 seconds of audio loss at the beginning of the CD- the remainder of the data was retrievable and could be saved as a .wav for copying to a fresh disc. Similarly, failed TOCs or PMAs were easily recovered.
turtles
Regular

Postby mcguirk » Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 pm

Aha.. I'd forgotten about Isobuster. Great advice.

Yeah, definitely getting this looked at by HHB.
mcguirk
Regular

Postby Jeraldo » Thu May 24, 2007 7:05 pm

I have an ancient HHB recorder-the one with the weighty aluminium "upside down" platter. This machine is ancient, and has burned many, many thousands of CDRs! And it is still chugging along just fine. CDR media has changed a great deal since that recorder went on the market, but I have never encountered a problem with it, even using a variety of the current higher speed oriented CDRs. Now I do most of my work on other devices. but occasionally when I need an extra recorder, etc., I bring this out and it's great. It does have all the required digi and analogue input/output options.

I would never have believed that it be totally functional this far out, but it is.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster