You are here

Producing electronic dance music using ready-made 'loop packs' - Cheating?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Producing electronic dance music using ready-made 'loop packs' - Cheating?

Postby Freuman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:14 pm

The Elf wrote:trip hop... dubstep...

Wha? :crazy:

Trip Hop is white dad friendly hip hop without so much talking.

DubStep is 130 bpm garage with the same wobbley bass sound in each track...

:headbang:

(no doubt that'll offend/confuse some teenagers!)

:round1:
Freuman
Regular
11011110110010101111 - 110000001111111111101110 - 101110101101 Hexadecimal binary coding anyone?

Postby markhodges » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:37 pm

ryan mead wrote:
And I gotta echo the Elf's sentiment about the trivial distinctions between genres! Hobbles creativity at times. I guess they're so rigidly and narrowly defined because ultimately they're destined for dance floors, where constancy reigns.

It's kind of like garage rock, indie rock, progressive rock, folk rock, punk rock, hard rock, glam rock, heavy metal, classic rock and so on. Some of the differences are more obvious than others.

With dance music specifically, some DJs genre-hop more than others, but the fact is that tracks that are similar in tempo and style are easier to mix together into a coherent set and often that's what people want to hear. In much the same way the average death metal fan doesn't want to go and see coldplay, someone who wants to go and dance to some nice hard pounding distorted 909 bass drum techno isn't necessarily going to get off on a disco tinged beat and big gospel vocal. Even so, some DJs will venture to both extremes in the same set.

Aside from that, the jargon enables those with an understanding of the distinctions to have a conversation more easily.
markhodges
Regular

Postby Maske » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 pm

NinjaPower wrote:
ill wrote:Didn't the Pied Piper's number one "Do you Really Like It"
use the demo song from an EMU module?

what? Seriously??! :ooo: :headbang:

Proteus 2000

If my memory was switched on right now I would remember the preset.

Press Demo and there is their intro and chorus right there!
Maske
New here

Postby Richard Graham » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 pm

You know I’m convinced somebody, somewhere actually understands the difference between all of these ‘genres’.

But they all go ut-sss, ut-sss, ut-sss to me! :D

Is there somewhere I can go gen up?

Look Mr Elf, if I said that I couldn't hear the difference between Crosby Stills and Nash, and say, Motorhead, (or between The Beatles and Yes, or Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac, or between rock'n'roll and thrash metal) would you look kindly upon my opinion? Or would you simply suspect that I hadn't really bothered to listen to any of the aforementioned artists and styles but had chosen instead to put my fingers in my ears and say 'I'm not listening to anything recorded since the invention of the electric guitar, it all sounds like a frightful din to me'?

Exactly. :D

You can 'gen up' by listening to music from your local library, or Spotify, or something. As someone famous once said, 'writing about music is like dancing about architecture'. Reading the contents of a website isn't going to do anything for you!

Of course, it's your prerogative to dismiss what you dislike or don't have time to investigate! As long as you don't mind sounding like a grumpy old sod!

(And by the way, I don't know my grime from my grindy: life's too short... but there was a time when I kept up... back when drum and bass was the latest thing!)

:)
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby tomafd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 pm

ryan mead wrote:
And I gotta echo the Elf's sentiment about the trivial distinctions between genres! Hobbles creativity at times. I guess they're so rigidly and narrowly defined because ultimately they're destined for dance floors, where constancy reigns.

Indeed- I once had a housemate who after listening to a bunch of bods at my kitchen table discussing dance music, stubbed her fag out with an aggrieved sigh and said "look, you stupid c**ts ... most of us don't give a [ ****** ] about all that, all we want is that big thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk at the bottom, every beat, and [ ****** ] the rest of it."

Words from a true, straightforward, punter, not a DJ, or a muso.

Thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk

there you have it.
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Richard Graham wrote:
And by the way, I don't know my grime from my grindy:

First one's your likely to get stabbed at a gig and the second one has guitars and a ubertrendy as you like Nathen Barley crowd. In most cases I wish they could combine the two.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby tomafd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Korff wrote:
And Ken, everything's rehashed to some degree, but I think there was definitely something a bit fresh about jungle when it first grew out of hardcore.

Cheers!

Chris

Yup, watching Lock Stock & 2 smoking barrels the other night I was reminded of that EZ Rollers tune Walk the land (I think it's called) Must be from 1998 ? 99 ? Totally wicked, totally fresh, and just so funky. I don't pay that much attention these days but I'm not hearing anything with that kind of freshness and sheer joy these days, when I am trawling through today's dance music.
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby onesecondglance » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Richard Graham wrote:grindy

grindcode indie? now that would be worth hearing...

genres are just tags. they help people see patterns in something abstract (music). it's the same thing as naming colours - that could mean a million different chroma but say that something is red and everyone will know what you mean.

it always annoys me when bands say they don't like to be put into a genre. if it helps someone else get an handle on what you are, i say great. being classed in a genre by a journalist doesn't define what you should write as a musician!
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Im sorry but i find a lot of the comments here rather mis/ill informed. Just because you dont like a style doesnt mean it is any less or more creative than the ones that you do like. It's just that you don't understand the way in which it's creative as you have no reference. Just your "boom tssh" comments.

One could say something similar about all style of music. The very basis of a style of a track is usually to do with its beat/rhythm. Ska all has a very similar beat, lots of indie music has the same kind of beat. Just cos its on real drums doesnt make it any less repetative.

Seriously some of the comments on here are so narrow minded!
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:40 pm

onesecondglance wrote:
Richard Graham wrote:grindy

being classed in a genre by a journalist doesn't define what you should write as a musician!

Well said!
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby FutureRetro » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Michael Dow wrote: lots of indie music has the same kind of beat. Just cos its on real drums doesnt make it any less repetative.

There repetative and then there is actual repetition. A musician can inject life into a performance, they can play with solos, two performances will never be the same etc. Most electronic music doesn't have this creativity. Not to say it cannot be done, it just isn't generally and certainly not in the more popular forms of electronic music.
FutureRetro
Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:37 pm

This is true yes, but thats what club music is about. It's always been about that since detroit techno. Something to get lost inside. A groove that binds the rest of the track together.

I guess some people get it and some do not. And those that don't think it's childish and un thoughtful as a whole.

But.. talking of unthoughtful production.... using just sample packs isn;t great. Yet as we see, it works for those that it matters to. The people dancing to it.
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Richard Graham wrote:Of course, it's your prerogative to dismiss what you dislike or don't have time to investigate! As long as you don't mind sounding like a grumpy old sod!
:D

If I had to investigate every musical style I *don't* like I wouldn't have to time to find out about stuff I *do*!

To each their own, dude - but please don't take me too seriously... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby KNB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:20 pm

NinjaPower wrote:
ill wrote:Didn't the Pied Piper's number one "Do you Really Like It"
use the demo song from an EMU module?

what? Seriously??! :ooo: :headbang:

It was a proteus! I remember finding that loop on it and thinking that it was a bit cheap. Still it was a pretty cool loop
KNB
Regular

Postby KNB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:20 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Dj Shadow - Entroducing

Multi award winning and listed in the top 100 albums by a publication no more mainstream, middle of the road than "Time" magazine.

100% samples.

All he's done in effect is go out and find samples and build them into tracks.

Loop cd's surely all your doing is skipping a certain amount of finding the loops?

This is surely a totally different point.
KNB
Regular

Postby KNB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Freuman wrote:

Trip Hop is white dad friendly hip hop without so much talking.

DubStep is 130 bpm garage with the same wobbley bass sound in each track...

:headbang:

(no doubt that'll offend/confuse some teenagers!)

:round1:

Dubstep is half speed
KNB
Regular

Postby KNB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:30 pm

NinjaPower wrote:Been thinking about this for a few days now...

I an a House music DJ by trade, but for a year or so now I have enjoyed a hobby of actually producing house music tracks of my own.

I use Ableton, a few software plugins, I have several new and old external hardware synths, outboard effects units, compressors, Midi Keyboard and synth keyboards, and I sometimes sample from old records and CD's.

I quite like making every part of my tracks from nothing. I like programming and EQing the drums, building the basslines and melodies, tweaking the outboard Synths and generally going through the whole process.

A few months ago however, Some friends of mine who are also DJ's/Producers got a Tech/Electro house track that they had made into the Beatport top 100. Nice work.

The track was really quite good, and certainly worth a purchase and a play for a few weeks by Tech/Electro DJ's.

Now, these guys aren't what you would call patient or technically minded. So, I saw them one day and we got chatting 'producer to producer' and I asked them how they crafted their nice little track. What soft synths do they have? What hardware synths do they use? Which drum programme do they prefer? etc.

The answer was: "Easy mate, We just downloaded a few of those big producer loop pack things and listened to hundreds of drum loops, melodies, pianos, FX, basslines etc until we came across a load we liked, pasted them into Ableton's audio tracks in blocks, added a few fades here and there to the tracks, few FX, built a couple of breakdowns using the 'breakdown loops' provided with the packs and bingo, decent banging track in a few days"

Now... I dont know whether to be impressed by them for being so resourceful of the tools that are now available in these Loop Packs, or whether to be disgusted that all they did was basically copy and paste perfect ready made sounds into tracks!

Or, should I be mad at myself for always spending hours and hours trying to home create drums loops, melodies, and basslines when I could just be auditioning a few hundred with a click of the mouse till one perfect one pops up out of these loop packs?

I went home, downloaded a couple of well known house music 'Loop packs' from the big names of this kind of thing. auditioned a few samples and loops for about 20 mins and then started banging the ones I liked into Ableton and guess what...within about 2 hours I had basically crafed a really funky little house track with some great drums, basslines, melodies, and complete with soulful and fruity horn and saxophone sounds. Amazing.

I'm not saying I'm converted... but it's really playing on my mind and irritating me...

And obviously the same applies to nearly all genre's now as well. Hip Hop, Dubstep, RnB, Soul, Pop... there are seemingly Loop Packs available for everyone.

So.. whats your opinions on all of this?

Loop Packs: "Great! they make producing electronic music really fun and easy, and with so many thousand loops and sounds available, its unlikely my professional sounding track will end up remotely like anyone elses! They allow you to create tracks you like the sound of without knowing anything about music which is fantastic."

Or somthing along the lines of...

Loop Packs: "Rubbish. Its basically a modern day version of Dance eJay! any idiot can knock a track up in an hour using someone elses hard work. Its like building a track from a Lego kit with instructions. If everyone did this and got their stuff published, all the tracks we hear would contain exactly the same basslines, drums and melodies."

I dont know what to think? Its cool, but somehow feels a bit lame at the same time... I wonder how many of the actual published 'chart' and club dance music out there was made either partially or in whole by using purchased royalty free loop packs?

Either way... My friends sold hundreds of copies of their track on a well known music website and I haven't! :headbang:

Sometimes I use loops in productions with a bunch of effects on them, perhaps just for rhythmic high end. I'd never just 'use' a loop that I found to form the basis of a track, but I totally get that that is what most dance producers too.

When I was at university I gave some tracks to a well known dance production outfit and asked what their advice was (back in the day) and there reply was 'Listen to a dance track you like, rip off the beat, try to use the same sounds, follow the structure'. I actually lost a lot of respect for them....

It's sad that music is getting to the point where it is just being re-hashed in various guises. Still... has anyone read The 17

KNB
Regular

Postby jellyjim » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:23 am

their approach might create content or let's be frank about it, product, but will it make art? i think not
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:40 am

jellyjim wrote:their approach might create content or let's be frank about it, product, but will it make art? i think not

To simply put it..thats it! Spunkin' tracks up on a wall to fill a space and make some quick cash/cashing in but huring the sceene.
Those artist/genre sample cd's are awfull imo..sound like "xx" in one click...nice!

No art or culture to it, what Shadow did on his first album is totaly different.. His passion, the digging involved, the fact that he only used this old MPC60, ADAT and a SL-1200 and the quality of the music sampled...it introduced guys from hip hop to the likes of Tangerine Dream for example.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby The Pearl Works » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:45 am

Who remembers the "Amen" break?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac
The Pearl Works
Regular

PreviousNext