You are here

Best Studio Monitors - Your Vote

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Best Studio Monitors - Your Vote

Postby sloanlogic » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:44 am

Wondering what everyone thinks are the best studio monitors. I would also be very interested in SOS doing a shootout of all the most popular studio monitors - Genelec, DynAudio, Adams, BlueSky, Klein & Hummel, PMC, Quested, Tannoy, Mackie and all the other popular studio monitors.

I have Genelec 8040as (with the 7060b subwoofer) and Yamaha NS10m (as reference). I have also had experience with other popular speakers and my main complaint with the Genelecs (the new 8000 series)is that they lack true clarity in the mid range.

Tell me what speakers you love and if you've got a subwoofer and how they translate to the "real world", as in comparing them with Yamaha NS10s or Auratone, etc. :SOS:
sloanlogic

Re: Best Studio Monitors - Your Vote

Postby midiot » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:02 am

as silly as it might sound (pun not attended), i still am in love with my Genelec 1031a's, purchased in 1992....at the time i had my studio equipment rep arrange a demo with 15 different speakers, from all the usual suspects. i had never heard of genelecs until just before the test, so knew nothing about them, really......

the speakers were lined up along the wall in studio B's room at Criteria studio's in Miami. The rep had set up a nifty switcher to go right down the line.....he never got past the 4th pair (The 1031a's). My partner and I just looked at each other, and basically said "Sold....stop the test!!! " at the same time

the rep was so pissed off, but happy to make the sale. 15 years later, one visit to the Genelec main repairs place and a set of new woofers later, and they remain my go to monitors. I've done film scores, cartoon themes, sound design, gold records, commercials, network intertitials, books to tape, you name it, and they translate better than any others i have ever used. totally non fatiguing

recently i hooked up a KRK sub, but only use it to impress the girls when they come over to dance to my sleazy tunes
midiot
New here

Postby James Lehmann » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:20 am

sloanlogic wrote:Wondering what everyone thinks are the best studio monitors.

Trying to establish what "The Best" of anything is in audio is a futile exercise in tail-chasing.

There's no such thing as 'The Best'.

You only have to trawl through these boards for 10 minutes to realise that there are as many different opinons as there are choices - there is simply no "best".

What there is is a lot of good stuff and a lot of crap, each of which has different strengths and weaknesses, and each of which arrives at a vastly different price-point; ultimately, these variables can only be evaluated for your needs by you, the most important end-user.

What sounds 'warm' or 'transparent' to your ears may sound 'muddy' or 'too clinical' to someone else's, what may be ridiculously expensive to you is a perfectly justifiable expense to another - it's all so subjective. Others can and will detail their own findings and experiences, that's the great strength of Forums like this, but no-one can possibly establish definitively what 'The Best' is even if you had provided some useful parameters and criteria (which you didn't), so you won't get a valid answer to your question as it stands.
James Lehmann
Regular
I used to be a rocker, but now I've gone off it and just sit in one. (JL)

Postby __ » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:45 am

I don't know what the 'best' ones are, and ive get better quality and spec'd monitors than these... But my absolute favs are these; http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5136113.htm
__
Regular

Postby topten » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:59 am

when i saw argos i knew
Acoustic Solutions Bookshelf Speakers - in Black.
what can you say - the secret is out and they are awesomely cheap - buy now do not wait these will move fast. believe me i'm totally honest.
topten
Regular

Postby Microwave » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:06 am

ow wrote:I don't know what the 'best' ones are, and ive get better quality and spec'd monitors than these... But my absolute favs are these; http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5136113.htm

Another vote for those.
Microwave
Regular

Postby ghr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:12 am

ow wrote:I don't know what the 'best' ones are, and ive get better quality and spec'd monitors than these... But my absolute favs are these; http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5136113.htm

I have the vintage maple ones :shock:
ghr
Poster

Postby topten » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 am

i love spruce but maple is good
topten
Regular

Postby John Willett » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:21 am

My top list has always been - ATC, Harbeth, Klein + Hummel in the top rank.

I use both Harbeth and Klein + Hummel.

Next on the good list are PMC, B&W and Quad Electrostatics.

Genelec, I call a "Marmite" loudspeaker - you either love them or hate them. I don't know why, but it seems like this.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks for the heads up. What is so neat about these. I think Argos beckons this Saturday morning.

Postby __ » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:41 am

I had a bit of birthday money from my Dad a couple of years ago and i like to spend it on something tangible, and i wanted a grot box, so i saw them and bought them, thinking they would be just cheap old crap.

But i was surprised how solidly built they were, how focused and natural they sound, and how well the mix i was working on travelled, far better than my very bass heavy main monitors. They arent ported and seem nice and flat and fast.

I just find that if the stuff sounds good on these then it generally works everywhere. I started singing their praises on here then....

But of course nobody is going to take a tenner monitor from Argeau seriously :smirk:

I think SOS should review a pair.

I too have the original light-wood version, but have a pair of black ones on reserve ;)

Lets put it this way, you can buy great monitors anytime, but these little things are spookily 8-) I would be upset if i couldnt get anither pair cos they were discontinued or summink, so i'm just about to buy my third pair. :D

But best not listen to me, i'm not really a techie, just know what i like.
__
Regular

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:47 am

Thanx OW. Argoose it is. Anything else I should buy whilst I am there Image

Postby topten » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:51 am

ow wrote:

I think SOS should review a pair.

I too have the original light-wood version, but have a pair of black ones on reserve ;):D
You'd be lucky. Black? No way. Unless you want to pay.
topten
Regular

Postby James T Bigglesworth » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:53 am

Well, you saw it here first - the birth of a legend. Just like the NS10, in fifteen years, every studio will have a pair of the Argos classic.
James T Bigglesworth
Regular
"Over fifteen years without a slogan"

Postby __ » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:54 am

Well theY used ot sell those litle mini Marshall and Fender stacks, you know, the size of a fag packet... I heard that Kula Shaker did their album on one of those,amongst others ;) But they don't do em anymore... :frown:

Don't forget that these little monitors are PASSIVE.
__
Regular

Postby matango » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:05 am

ghr wrote:

I have the vintage maple ones :shock:

Same here. Priceless. :angel:
matango