You are here

Interviews or Tips or Articles or any other source of information from any Professional.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Interviews or Tips or Articles or any other source of information from any Professional.

Postby gryfyx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Each one of us surf net to find dope on music production. Tips and tricks has been an age old way of digging out info, and most of those search results turn out to be some novice mind's outlook.

How about sharing the valuable info that we all dig out from net and concise all into this one place.

But only condition that I lay is that all those info must come from a Pro and would be great if source of that material can be shared as well.

Videos and books that are supposed to be either bought or downloaded will not be appreciated. Although links that directly takes you to the info source, like youtube would do.

I'm starting out with an interview of 'Erez Eisen' of 'Infected Mushroom'.
Many of you must have already read it, but truly guys I found it pretty informative.

Three Part Interview of Erez Eisen - http://en.audiofanzine.com/sound-technique/articles/Infected-Mushroom-Sound-Alchemy.html#pages

:)
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Another shot for those who like psytrance, its not my sport although, not much informative either, but someone who is starting up must be familiar with these papers from Berkeley University.
Berkeley University Document on Psytrance - http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~easwaran/papers/psytrance.html

gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Pretty old interview of Astrix, but still lays a lot more gravity than any novice suggestion - http://www.harderfaster.net/text/features/11536

gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Again, a not so informative but still a precious one as its rare, Asura interviewed by Chillbase.org - http://www.chillbase.org/interviews/220-asura-interview.html

gryfyx
Regular

Re: Interviews or Tips or Articles or any other source of information from any Professional.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am

I think you're neglecting the most obvious and comprehensive source of Interviews with Professional Musicians, Engineers, and Producers on the SOS Forums, and that's those that appeared in SOS magazine :headbang:

Just in case anyone forgets, these forums are hosted by SOS Publications, and whether you're a regular reader or not, the archives are open to you 8-)

Only the contents of the five most recent issues are locked for subscribers only, which has always seemed very generous to me!

Here's our Inside Track | Secrets Of The Mix Engineers section:

www.soundonsound.com/articles/InsideTrackMixSecrets.php

...and here's our Classic Tracks section:

www.soundonsound.com/articles/ClassicTracks.php

Both contain links to dozens of in-depth interviews!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby gryfyx » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 am

Thanx a lot, Martin, for the contribution. I truly neglected some good info that was right behind me.

Could anyone help me with a good informative interview of Brian Eno, where he doesnt talk about music as aesthetics only and also lead us to some valuable tip or trick in production. He normally never goes that techy in interviews.
gryfyx
Regular

Re: Interviews or Tips or Articles or any other source of information from any Professional.

Postby aim » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 am

I always like the Secrets of Mixing Engineers, but sometimes it's just too bad that the really important information is missing. Usually it's just like what plugins they've used, but none of the settings on some really wierd plugs. But still like those articles a LOT.
aim
Poster
www.ProSoundingVocals.com - How to make vocals sit in a mix

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm

AuralSerenity wrote:Could anyone help me with a good informative interview of Brian Eno, where he doesnt talk about music as aesthetics only and also lead us to some valuable tip or trick in production. He normally never goes that techy in interviews.

Ah, the enigma that is Brian Eno. Well, here's an SOS interview with him that contains both practical info and aesthetics:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/oct05/articles/brianeno.htm

Actually, this discussion has now departed significantly from 'Keyboards | Synthesizers | Sound Design', so I'll move it to our more general Music Recording Technology forum where it will attract more posts.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby gryfyx » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
AuralSerenity wrote:Could anyone help me with a good informative interview of Brian Eno, where he doesnt talk about music as aesthetics only and also lead us to some valuable tip or trick in production. He normally never goes that techy in interviews.

Ah, the enigma that is Brian Eno. Well, here's an SOS interview with him that contains both practical info and aesthetics:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/oct05/articles/brianeno.htm

Actually, this discussion has now departed significantly from 'Keyboards | Synthesizers | Sound Design', so I'll move it to our more general Music Recording Technology forum where it will attract more posts.

Martin

Thanx a lot, Martin. I dont understand this guy's(Brian Eno) maverick personality that gets revealed in his work. That's so contradictory to his real self. I mean, its the greatest honor to anyone who has a stable status of being recognized as a father of a genre, but this guy is either too modest in his interviews or he is truly a humble soul, who truly knows more than what he looks like. I spend days to decipher his extrahuman skills implemented in his mixing and synthesis skills. He is a true ambient musician.

Is it sounding too cheesy? Did I praise him obnoxiously?
No guys, this man deserves it. I think he deserves more. Alas, I fail to find words to define his capabilities in music creation. Listen to any of his work, you'll know.
:ooo:
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 am

Simon Posford's one of the most watched youtube video. It is very informative guys.

Simon Posford in his studio - Part One - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2NF_J56rFs

Simon Posford in his studio - Part Two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MorP_bYYHVg&NR=1

gryfyx
Regular

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

AuralSerenity wrote:Videos and books that are supposed to be either bought or downloaded will not be appreciated. Although links that directly takes you to the info source, like youtube would do.

Seems a shame to ignore books when you're asking about Brian Eno. You really should read A Year With Swollen Appendices if you haven't already.

Also worth looking for tips from Daniel Lanois, who has collaborated with Eno on many occasions, both on Eno's own material (e.g. Apollo) and on production of other bands.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby gryfyx » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
AuralSerenity wrote:Videos and books that are supposed to be either bought or downloaded will not be appreciated. Although links that directly takes you to the info source, like youtube would do.

Seems a shame to ignore books when you're asking about Brian Eno. You really should read A Year With Swollen Appendices if you haven't already.

Also worth looking for tips from Daniel Lanois, who has collaborated with Eno on many occasions, both on Eno's own material (e.g. Apollo) and on production of other bands.

I have read it already.
Its not about ignoring books, 'Matt Houghton'. I almost have an emotional factor with books. Its something like more than the love that we can carry for humans. I read a lot and had inculcated this habit like an art of living, rather than just an indulgence.
But this particular thread, that has an specific purpose of limiting its scope to the easy availability of information, does not decide to make me be ashamed of anything. If I simply set some rules to this thread, that does not mean that I do not bend those rules. I mean if there is a good book that you read then let us know what dope you drew and can provide to this thread, but in your words(not the title of the book). I do not propagate how much I know, but as you insist, I must tell you that I also have read - "Eric Tamm's Brian Eno: His music & the vertical color of sound" and "Geeta Dayal's Another green world".

But, anyways, thanx for your suggestion.
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Infected Mushroom-

In The Studio -- Part One --
http://emusician.com/videos/interviews/infected_mushroom_studio_tourpt1/

In The Studio -- Part Two --
http://emusician.com/videos/interviews/infected_mushroom_studio_tourpt2/

Duvdev's nice sense of humor and the geeky Erez, very nice interview.
I might buy that kind of reverb. But its freakin costly. Very costly.
:shock:
gryfyx
Regular

Postby JamesSimpson » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:03 am

Some useful stuff on recordproduction.com
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 am

Not sure if this is the sort of stuff you're after but I find it pretty watchable, if only for the infective enthusiasm & the absence of brand loyalty

http://ronansrecordingshow.com/
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guy Johnson » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Have a look at TapeOp magazine. You can get it free, and it is a good compliments to SOS.

Their site.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Postby gryfyx » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:Not sure if this is the sort of stuff you're after but I find it pretty watchable, if only for the infective enthusiasm & the absence of brand loyalty

http://ronansrecordingshow.com/

Thanx, man.
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:31 am

Guy Johnson wrote:Have a look at TapeOp magazine. You can get it free, and it is a good compliments to SOS.

Their site.

Thanx.
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:35 am

JamesSimpson wrote:Some useful stuff on recordproduction.com

Thanx a lot for this.

I found these videos there. Checking them, right now. :)
gryfyx
Regular