You are here

Vintage kit issue: Fostex DMT8 digital multitrack issue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Vintage kit issue: Fostex DMT8 digital multitrack issue

Postby 2084 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:24 am

Are we actually able to use the DMT-8 without any hard drive ?

Does the analog inputs & outputs are usable ?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums.

I can see why you appended your query to this very old thread... but in general it's probably best to start a new thread as re-visiting archive threads is a common spamming tactic and it immediately sows doubt about your intentions...

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't for certain say whether the DMT-8 will work happily without a drive attached, but I would expect it to allow you to access the I/O.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby paul tha other » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm

hi there..ive owned a few of those fostex machines in my time.....you might run into a few problems with the hard drive for them..

the main problem being/......

if you dont have the most upto date operating system in it you are going to be limited to 4 gig drives..thats gonna be a problem because i dont think you can buy 4 gig drives these days..also i think the speed of the drive is important...

it deff sounds like either a. the drive is a goner or 2 the guy that sold you it just put a old 80 gig drive in it that dosnt meet the spec of the dmt8 therefore wont "mount " in the machine
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop