You are here

Vintage kit issue: Fostex DMT8 digital multitrack issue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Vintage kit issue: Fostex DMT8 digital multitrack issue

Postby flicker66 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone here can help? I've just bought a Fostex DMT8 multitrack recorder which, after powering-up, displays a "no disk" message. Now either the guy that sold it to me has removed the hard drive - why would you do that? - or there's some other issue but I'd appreciate any advice or insight into this issue. I've contacted Fostex's UK distributor for tech advice and dropped the seller a line
but I'm stumped! It looks like a basic but useful beast but it's not happening right now and I want to know why!

Cheers
Al
flicker66
Poster
"Ten thousand watts of power...news headlines on the hour tonight..."

Re: Vintage kit issue: Fostex DMT8 digital multitrack issue

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Do you hear the hard drive spinning? If yes, but it's not recognised, that would indicate it's not working for some reason (even some thing like the cable being jogged loose in transport.

If you can't hear a drive at all, then it's either dead/unpowered, or not there. You could try opening it up and taking a looksee...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby flicker66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 am

Cheers. I can't hear anything from the recorder when I power it up. I did plug some cans in earlier and ran a signal into two of the channels but, whilst there's a power hum, nothing came through.

I've just opened it up and there's definitely a hard drive there - a Fujitsu MPG3204AT - which has a date on it of May 2001. The drive has its cables attached and nothing appears to be loose. Am I to conclude the drive's dead? I did power it up after checking it all over and am still getting the 'no disk' message.
flicker66
Poster

Postby turbodave » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 am

Hi, look in the manual and try a factory reset or summat similar! This may just get everything talking.Also look on the fostex website for firmware updates.dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Postby flicker66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 am

Cheers. I'll try that. The Fostex website is a model of corporate efficiency but has very little content with regard to 'archive products' as it tactfully calls them. If there are any DMT-8 owners out there who've experienced similar issues, please post here or drop me a PM.

Cheers
Al
flicker66
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:20 am

Fostex used to host a very useful forum but it closed recently. There is a user supported replacement here.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby flicker66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks very much. I contacted Fostex's UK distributor/tech support outfit today and they quoted me just under £90 for a new drive plus £60 labour charge which is probably more than the thing's worth! I shall review my options.
flicker66
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Ah, just pick up a cheap drive off ebay and do it yourself. I'm sure it can be that hard to swap out a drive in those things - power cable, data cable and mountings is all it takes...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby flicker66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Cheers but I'm not really technically-minded enough to undertake that sort of work and I wouldn't know what drive was compatible with the old beast.
flicker66
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 pm

It's just a standard IDE drive. I'm sure it's a case of opening the DMT8 up, unplugging the power and data cables, removing the drive, putting the replacement drive in, replugging the power and data cables, and probably formatting the drive from the DMT8 once complete.

It really shouldn't be hard, but if you don't want to tackle it, then you'll need to go the pay-route and get it serviced.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby flicker66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Indeed. If the seller agrees to refund what I've paid him, I will consider getting it repaired. I might also consider cutting my losses and buying something that's fully working! Thanks for your help.
flicker66
Poster

Postby Stan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:56 pm

From the SOS archives - It is a Quantum IDE drive. A 540 Megabyte beastie, giving you 12 mins of recording time. Not a lot!
HERE is a link you might find interesting.
Stan
Regular

Postby flicker66 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks. I came across that page the other day when searching for info on it and mailed the guy who undertook that work. He replied with a few useful things to try but I heard from the seller yesterday. He told me it was working well when he packed it up for its journey to me and must've become damaged in transit. He's refunding me my total outlay and collecting it from me next week. Thanks for everyone's advice and assistance.
flicker66
Poster

Postby 2084 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:24 am

Are we actually able to use the DMT-8 without any hard drive ?

Does the analog inputs & outputs are usable ?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums.

I can see why you appended your query to this very old thread... but in general it's probably best to start a new thread as re-visiting archive threads is a common spamming tactic and it immediately sows doubt about your intentions...

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't for certain say whether the DMT-8 will work happily without a drive attached, but I would expect it to allow you to access the I/O.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Next