You are here

The difference between Behringer C2's and Behringer C4's???

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

The difference between Behringer C2's and Behringer C4's???

Postby BennyBassist » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:42 pm

As the title suggests I've been looking into buying a pair of Behringer C2's as I'm on a SERIOUS budget but then noticed the Behringer C4's.

From what I can see there's not a lot of difference except in appearance. So does anyone know if one is better than the other or alternatively if anyone can recommend a better sdc pair for about the same price?

Cheers
BennyBassist
Poster
All the best

Ben

------
Ben Peilow - Sound Engineer/TM
www.benpeilowaudio.com

Re: The difference between Behringer C2's and Behringer C4's???

Postby darrylonguitar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 am

Sorry, I can't answer your question. But I can tell you that I use a pair of C-2 mics very often at home and have been very happy with the acoustic guitar tone I'm recording. The stereo mic bracket that comes with the pair is very handy. I have used it on vocals with acceptable results for my home studio, but it did leave a little to be desired there.

Also, I just received an AT2020 tonight and it sounds much nicer on vocals from the few test tracks I've recorded. If you can spare the little extra cash for an AT2020, want to record vocals and acoustic guitar, and don't mind giving up the stereo miking, I would recommend the AT2020 instead.

All in all, I can't believe how crisp and clear these mics are for as little as they cost.

DP
darrylonguitar
Poster

Postby BennyBassist » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks so much. I have been looking at the AT2020 as well, but i think I'm after a stereo pair as a priority. The AT2020 will make an appearance very soon. Thanks again!
BennyBassist
Poster
All the best

Ben

------
www.benpeilowaudio.com

Postby darrylonguitar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

No problem. I did just see another thread on the forum regarding the C2 mics. One user commented that that C4 has much less internal/self noise. I can hear the difference in noise between the C2 and my AT2020 and others complained about the C2's noise level in that thread. So, it may be worth it to go with the C4 over the C2 for a stereo pair.

Even with noise of the C2, I am happy with the recorded tone of my acoustic guitar. It is budget gear and "you get what you pay for" holds true. But "budget" gear implies you're on a budget. It still has great value at that price if it gets you in the game.
darrylonguitar
Poster

Postby grab » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:25 pm

For a single SDC close up, a C-2 isn't too bad. But as a stereo pair for drum overheads, or for anything else that needs a reasonably consistent off-axis response, they don't sound very good at all.
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BennyBassist » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know I received the C4's in the post and tried them out on a piano and acoustic guitar. Im overall pretty impressed, it wasn't really harsh sounding, the sound of the mics were pretty good and the inclusion of the stereo bar is very useful. I've not tried it on overheads yet so we'll see how they do there and i can see what you mean about the noise but for the money and what I'm doing right now these are exactly what i need.
BennyBassist
Poster
All the best

Ben

------
www.benpeilowaudio.com