You are here

Novation Supernova II keyboard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Novation Supernova II keyboard

Postby stevo0476 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:36 am

Hi,

someone offert me this synth (novation) in exchange for my Roland Juno 6 in good condition.However there's a drawback, 6 out of the 8 analog outputs produce some sort of humm. The guy checked all outputcables and the're okay. I contacted the Dutch repairservice and they said it was a problem with the digital/analog audioconverter. They could not give me any answers pricewise for repairing the synth because they had to check with the mothercompany in Britain.

I'm not really an analog freak or live up to the hype of it. The juno has been out of a job for ages in my setup and just stands there doing nothing.

To deal or not to deal, that's the question :roll:

Thx

Steve
stevo0476
New here

Re: Novation Supernova II keyboard

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:59 am

Doesn't really sound worth it. You are probably better off selling the Juno and buying something else, perhaps a fully functioning Supernova or put the money towards something more expensive.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Postby stevo0476 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks Richie for the quick reply.

I'm going to call the guy and ask him to repair the synth on his account via the official repairshop.He lives in Holland and the repairshop is in Holland too so I don't have to bother driving 200 miles from Belgium to the repairshop.

He's the one who asked me to swap. No use in swapping a juno in good, working condition for something that does not live up to what it is supossed to do, that I already knew.

Maby we can work things out. I'll keep you informed of what came out of the deal.

If it's a "no go" than no harm is done.

Steve
stevo0476
New here

Postby johhny normal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 pm

this isnt uncommon with supernovas....noisy outputs and output issues , slipping encoders etc.
johhny normal
Poster
'normal' is the new abnormal

Postby ManchesterMidischool » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:58 pm

My Supernova 2 also has a problem with some of the outputs (loud crackle).
I have heard this is common.
With regards to the swap comparison...
The Juno only has a stereo anyway, so you are still in the same boat regarding how many working outputs on either synth. I guess you just have to think about what kind of sounds you desire in your productions, as both are different.
The Juno does sound a little warmer overall, but the Supernova is far more versatile and the onboard fx are a bonus and actually rather good!
ManchesterMidischool
Music Production Courses.
midischool.com

Postby BJG145 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:20 pm

stevo0476 wrote:The juno has been out of a job for ages in my setup and just stands there doing nothing.

This says it all to me. Personally I'd have gone for it. Value-wise, there's probably not much in it - a fully-working Supernova II keyboard would fetch more than a Juno 6, and who needs the extra outputs anyway.

(Miss my Supernova I. Can't afford a II.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Does this apply to the Rack Version, suppose they both use the same internals. I used to have one of those and it was completely trouble free, except...........when the arps were sync'd to Cubase it would freeze. But I did like it, sometimes criticized for being a too harsh digital sound, but on some settings that actually enhanced the sound. ON the +side all the knobs would send controller data to Cubase and with some dynamic filtering etc sounded quite good, it was easy to mess about with real time
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Swap the 6 for a JP8000 instead.

Better sounding than the supernova but seriously let down by lack of outputs. (Which in this case is a blessing as there is less to go wrong)
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 am

kolakube wrote:Swap the 6 for a JP8000 instead.

Better sounding than the supernova but seriously let down by lack of outputs. (Which in this case is a blessing as there is less to go wrong)

I'd knda agree with this. I own both a SNII rack version, and a JP-8080 and the JP is way better. But actually not as versatile. The sounds it creates are much thicker than the SNII however. It really depends though, if you dnt use your Juno, why keep it? But you may not use the SNII either? It's great for arpeggiated sounds, and FX. And as mentioned the effects are good (apart from the dreadful sounding reverb!) The chorus/flange is nice and can create some seriously twisted sounds. And the distortion can be nice, with great filter section with its own drive control which is good.

All in all though, they are all fairly dated sounds. Why not go for something a little newer, or even jst get a Virus. C? Or TI?

THe blofeld is suposedly great and far newer and more up to date sounds can be made.
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am

Part of the fun surely though Michael with synth with many controls is making your own sounds.

Mind when your as lazy as me its so much easier to just use for or five VSTs as if there one huge romper ;)
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Indeed most of the fun is making your own sounds. I can do that all day and nght on my JP but i dont like the menu's on the SNII. Just doesnt feel very nice to me
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:46 pm

I also have both a SN2 rack and a JP-8080 and would broadly agree that, voice for voice, the JP is a richer-sounding synth. But the SN2 does a neat line in all kinds of weird sounds where the JP can’t follow, at least when it comes to drums and some of those incredibly whacky effects patches.

I actually think the SN2 sounds better than many seem to give it credit for, but as far as editing is concerned there’s something about the JP-8080 that says – ‘come on, tweak me!’, though this has to be tempered by the fact that it takes up double the rack space of an SN2 to work its charm. The SN2 deserves a lot of credit for packing so much power and quick edit-ability into such a small space – and for providing a significantly more sophisticated synthesis engine than the JP – even before you take the multi-timbrality into consideration

For myself, I’ll take the JP for instant synthesis, quick tweaks and a genuinely ‘Roland-ish’ sound, and I’ll take the SN2 for its programming depth, drum mapping, 8-part layering and compact form. In fact, that’s exactly what I did!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

I would sell the Juno 6 and buy a 106 LOL :headbang:

Doesn't any one here wish Novation made serious synthesizers again? I mean they were bloody brilliant for the times.
Bass Station is still a great cheap little analogue synth, Drum Station's were and are still fantastic, Nova's and Super nova's for the time were great but not up my street sound wise any more although the A-Station keeps me happy as a 1U half pint super nova.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Agree totally Elf. I like both but if I could have one or the other it would be the JP. Plenty of room for both.

Lol at vinyl junkie.

Yeah I wish Novation were still around mate. But then I wish the whole music industry hadnt gone the way it did, IE everything from studios to synths to distribution to well, everything virtual. I much preferred the real world. These days I get scared looking outside haha
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

In fact im actually thinking of getting rid of my SNII because i'm poor. I dont want to see it go. But i think i need to sell it! Argh :frown: It's my least used bit of kit (apart from the 303 and 606, but they aint goin nowhere!)
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby willco » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Argh, get the novation, they are awesome... I stupidly sold my s2 rack to the studio I used to work at because I kept on bringing it to work and everyone would rinse it.

The vocoder is in my opinion excellent, and clearer than most.
You can get seriously resonant crazy things going on with the comb filter that are unlike most comb filters.
The amount of knobs makes it great to tweak.
I think novation use pretty decent keyboards in terms of the key action.

I still miss mine... one of the main menu knobs got a bit sick, the technician at my work replaced it in no time so they must be fairly straightforward to fix up.
willco
New here

Postby jwillifixit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm

OneWorld wrote:...it would freeze.

Hi there fans of the Supernova 2... I have recently come into ownership of a rack model and it's not working properly. I was hoping that if I describe the issue someone here might be able to point me in a direction.

Okay here goes... It powers on and all the lights flash once then the display shows "Supernova" than it adds "voices 24" and on the next line "O/S version 2.0" as it is changing to that the Part buttons 1-8 and the edit button light up than the display changes to show "Seq 30303 Dist" and on the second line "Prog A049" and a few of the lights are lit. Seems normal enough.

Okay I found out how to play the factory demo and was playing that but didn't mess with any knobs or buttons. There are 3 demo's and I did move from one to another a few times... I let it sit playing one of them and it played for quite some time like that just fine.

Well I turned up the master volume and it just sort of locked up. Display was still lit but no button or knob did anything... volume up/down didn't change anything. I couldn't change any menu or setting.

I used some contact cleaner and cleaned the pot's a bit. After that it seemed to be working correctly (let me add that I am not a musician and have no input source for this - I've only output from the headphone out to powered speakers). I moved around through several menus and discovered that it would make sounds if you hit the part buttons... way cool sounds I might add!!! Okay this is great I'm thinking. Well not so much because now it's back to doing the same thing. I can start it and move a few knobs and then it locks up and won't do anything. If I'm in the demo it freezes on the last sound and just starts looping it (same if I'm hitting a part button). Display is illuminated and all it's just non-responsive. Okay - thoughts? I'd love to get this working and try to put a Casio LK-220 I have into a computer and output Midi to the synth and PLAY!!!
jwillifixit

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm

My Supernova 2 rack has been back to Novation twice in the last couple of years with similar issues to yours. Both times it was power supply problems. Time to get it to Novation's engineers I would say. I wouldn't go fooling with switch cleaner - these are not analogue synths!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jwillifixit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm

The Elf wrote:.. Time to get it to Novation's engineers I would say. I wouldn't go fooling with switch cleaner - these are not analogue synths!

Thanks for the response "The Elf"... this thing seems really cool and I want to use it.

The power supply board seems to be a PT-45B and readily available for ~$15usd. Perhaps I'll start with replacing that. As for electronic contact cleaner... I'm thinking it doesn't really matter what it's connected to it's still simply a rotary potentiometer so it can't hurt.
jwillifixit

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm

jwillifixit wrote:As for electronic contact cleaner... I'm thinking it doesn't really matter what it's connected to it's still simply a rotary potentiometer so it can't hurt.

Unless it is an optical encoder that you've mistaken for a potentiometer...
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Next