You are here

eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby forumuser843166 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Just had a scammer contact me.

EDIT: Should have mentioned it was through reader's ads.
forumuser843166

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:42 am

BEWARE Potential Scammer

SOS Readers Ads sellers are being targeted by somebody calling herself Sabina Fumero and using this email: sabinafumero@yahoo.es.

We do not believe this is a genuine buyer as she seems to not read the adverts, or know the price of the goods, and is following the same script as another person who is contacting lots of sellers on Gumtree.

Our advice is to delete the emails she sends you and not to proceed with any money/goods transfer.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Had a couple of emails (identical cut and paste jobs) from a Peggy Morrison about a few ads I've got on readers ads.

Scamometer went off straight away but was confirmed when I asked what interested them in my product.....straight to the deal with no answer.

morrisonpeggy39@gmail.com

Usual stuff - poor English, my shipper will sort it all out, what name do you want on the cheque etc etc - SCAM!
fatbenelton
Regular
Jonny

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I have deleted the morrisonpeggy39@gmail.com SOS account and prevented re-registration with the same details.

At least by posting here, anyone who Googles or Bings that name will find this topic/post and know to avoid replying.
Forum Admin

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 am

Someone using Forum PMs to make contact...

Had a PM this morning from a zero-posts member. Details here:

Would you love to share your ideas on audio products?

Sent: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:23 am
To: Mike Stranks
Hi Mike, very impressed by your audio gadget experience here. May I have honor to invite you to spare me some attention and talk something over the products in my hand?

I am keen on hearing from you.

jackrollone

Could be genuine, but my antennae are twitching! :)

Just a heads-up in case others get a similar message. I'd advise caution; I've ignored it.

To the person who sent this: My apologies if you're genuine... use this thread to clarify why you want people to contact you. Thanks
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Wonks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:17 am

I just get a "Private message could not be found" indication under an 'Information' heading when using that link, Mike.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:20 am

Wonks wrote:I just get a "Private message could not be found" indication under an 'Information' heading when using that link, Mike.

Post has been recast Wonks... message now in 'clear'. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby zenguitar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for reporting the PM Mike. It was posted from a static IP address in Hong Kong.

The best I can make of it is that they have spotted your reviews and would like you to write something nice about their products.

Most days we have a few spammers trying to post in the forums and occasionally we get bulk attacks. So we now have a system where the first 3 posts by a new member have to be approved by a moderator. This has been very effective at keeping spam out of the forums and we are also banning the user names and static IP addresses they use.

By persuading an existing and reputable member to post for them they could circumvent the post approval process.

I'll have a chat with Ian and Hugh and see what they think.

Thanks again

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby robinwylie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Had a few emails from via the readers' ads, obviously a scammer

his email is mrdmann96@gmail.com

Glad to hear from you.This sounds good and it's like we can come to
an agreement,so keep the ad off market and consider sold to me.I am
okay with the price £400,your details is needed for payment to be
issued out to you via post,in which reputable courier will handle the
shipment.
So do not worry about that OKAY.An excess money we be included on the
check payment which would cover both the item bought and for the
pick-up okay.All you need to do,Once the cheque clears in 3 working
days,you are to deduct your payment,afterward the remaining funds
in-cures shipping for the pick up at your location... I will send the
shipping agent details when the payment clears.

Get back to me with your details as requested below:
robinwylie

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 pm

robinwylie wrote:Had a few emails from via the readers' ads, obviously a scammer

his email is mrdmann96@gmail.com

Glad to hear from you.This sounds good and it's like we can come to
an agreement,so keep the ad off market and consider sold to me.I am
okay with the price £400,your details is needed for payment to be
issued out to you via post,in which reputable courier will handle the
shipment.
So do not worry about that OKAY.An excess money we be included on the
check payment which would cover both the item bought and for the
pick-up okay.All you need to do,Once the cheque clears in 3 working
days,you are to deduct your payment,afterward the remaining funds
in-cures shipping for the pick up at your location... I will send the
shipping agent details when the payment clears.

Thanks for the alert. What can happen in similar examples is the cheque you receive is way larger than the agreed amount, (say £1400) and so they ask you to send by bank transfer the "difference" (£1000) to their shipping agent.

The original cheque will always clear, as banks are useless these days at checking cheques and when it eventually bounces on the bank, they come after you for the money (£1400) they cleared into your account. Meanwhile, being gracious, you might well have made this £1000 payment to the shipping agent (who is never a real agent, and is in fact the scammer or a cohort-in-crime) and thus you are also out of pocket to the tune of the "difference" (£1000)... Ouch! And Double-Ouch!

The bank will care only in getting the £1400 back off you, and all sorts of problems can happen with overdraft charges if you don't have sufficient money to cover the original (fake) cheque amount that the bank, in good faith, put into your account.

Messy, isn't it?

Thankfully by reporting his email, you'll have helped stop someone losing their shirt!
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am

We've had reports from concerned sellers who've been approached by someone called Vaugh Richards using this email: vaughrichards1@gmail.com

Our advice is to steer clear of these 'overpayment' cheque propositions.

Hi XXXX,

Glad to hear from you.This sounds good and it's like we can come to an agreement,so keep the ad off market and consider sold to me.I am okay with the price £100,your details is needed for payment to be issued out to you via post,in which reputable courier will handle the shipment.So do not worry about that OKAY.An excess money will be included on the check payment which would cover both the item bought and for the pick-up okay.All you need to do. Once the cheque clears in 3 working days,you are to deduct your payment,afterward the remaining funds in-cures shipping for the pick up at your location... I will send the shipping agent details when the payment clears.

Full name...

Residential address...

Cell Phone number...

Home Phone number...

I will await to hear from you with regard this as soon as possible.

Thank You.
Forum Admin

Postby Graze » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:03 pm

I got a whole list of emails from this scammer and they sent a french cheque.

Using vaughrichards1@gmail.com

The cheque is for €2,916 for a £140 item!!!

The envelope has a uk stamp on it though.

I couldn't figure out how the scam works as it's so ridiculous to assume I'm going to send £2.5k to a shipping agent,, but hey.

Be careful out there......
Graze

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Welcome here, Graze.

Yes, they hope you’ll be gracious enough to trust them, cash the cheque and send all the extra to them. Their cheque will clear initially, as paper cheques take 5-6 weeks to fully clear but it bounces before final clearance. You would then be out of pocket and likely overdrawn when your bank removes their money from your account if you sent them the overpayment.

Believe me, we’ve heard from trusting souls who got scammed, though most folks now more aware and alert.
Forum Admin

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 pm

I do have to say that the banks should take more responsibility when this sort of thing happens. My bank used to credit you with the money immediately a cheque was paid in but stated that it takes 3 or 4 days to 'clear' (basically saying, we'll assume this cheque covers your overdraft but don't go spending the money for a few days). With electronic banking it should only take a few seconds to 'clear' a cheque (lets face it dealing in futures a few milliseconds is damn nearly a lifetime, I'm sure I read somebody dug a tunnel to route the fibre optic cables and save themselves a few millionths of a second over routing them around the mountain?).

Once the cheque has been 'cleared' by your bank (i.e. they haven't said it may be dodgy within a stated length of time, the old there/four working days) that should be final. If it then subsequently proves to be fake it's their problem.

It'll never happen though will it..... :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am

Sam, you're confusing what 'clear' entails. Yes in a digital world it should be possible, but clearing entails (or used to entail) sending off the paper cheque to a bank clearing house -- these got moved overseas when banks 'outsourced' to save money (=make more profit). Someone used to physically look at the signature(s) on the cheque and check against the stored image of the account holder's signature. If all the words were correct, the cheque date wasn't future-dated, then it got the green light and the funds the bank had put into your account remain there.

However, if the paper cheque fails and the signature does not match, or the amount does not match the words, or the date is too far in the future, or there are insufficient funds in the cheque writer's account etc... then it is rejected by the clearing house, who notify their bank and your bank, etc.

It's this delay which the scammers attempt to take advantage of. It's getting harder as the time-lapse is growing shorter, because some banks scan the cheques and upload to the clearing house (in the old days they were posted in snail-mail).
Forum Admin

Previous