You are here

eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: How can i prove i'm not a scammer?

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am

CYPHER - I have edited your forum profile because you were including an image for your avatar that requests a password and login on a Romanian drum and bass site - this may worry some people, so it has been removed by me. Please use avatar images that are NOT behind a protected site.

Thanks
Ian G
FORUM ADMIN
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,911 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 am

Posting this here as Richard James 773 is allegedly using emails that are very similar to the classic scammer email wording, so Sellers BEWARE.

Forum Admin

Date: 4 February 2009 22:33:31 GMT
To: XXXXX name removed XXXXXX
Subject: Re: Enquiry re XXXXX in Sound On Sound Readers' Ads

Hello,
Thanks for the mail and for the advice but i just want you to understand that am okay with your asking price but i want you to understand that my customer made it clear to me that he can only make the payment by bank draft cheque and we will wait for the bank draft cheque to be clear in your bank before making any arrangement for the transport and You have to note that the transporter payment will also be added to the actual amount and this will be handled by my transporter so you dont need to worry about the transporter. if you are okay with this arrangement just send me your full details in your next mail..

Name (has to be issue on the cheque):
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Country
Phone(Home,Mobile,Office):
Last Price:

I wait to read all this from you so that the cheque can be sent down to your destination...
Cheers..
Forum Admin

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby PigKettle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Slick con...

Between winning the bid on an ISA 220 and receiving the seller's sales information, a third party snuck in with their own invoice. It was perfectly worded, item description, sale details etc. and was sent via ebay, on official ebay corporate looking HTML with working ebay links.

I paid it. The genuine seller contacted me the next day with the genuine invoice. Alarm bells rang and within a few mails I realized I'd just been ripped off 830 euros.

The transfer was done using Western Union, which ebay warns against, so I should have been more cautious - but the invoice was so well prepared, it even supplied escrow details (payment to a third party who holds the cash until both parties agree the transaction has been satisfactorily made).

I was utterly duped by the professionalism of the documentation, so I would like to pass the warning on to all - NEVER use Western Union for these transactions and make sure you use the internal ebay messaging system.

Eagle out.
PigKettle
Poster

Postby Quaver » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Seems we have another Scammer trawling the Ads,I received this in reply to an ad I have in the Readers ad,the usual wording and phrasing suggests it one of those type of scams,anyone else received this

Hello m8,
Im Joe Horthon by name ,I came across your contact details through web directory concerning the Item you have for sale and im highly interested in purchasing it.I will like to know all the details about the Item before proceeding with the payment.....

1. How long have you owned it?

2. Why are you selling it?

3. Best offer?

4. Where you are located? (For viewing and inspection)

So, your swift response to these required information would be highly entertained before proceeding to the next stage. The method of payment is Cheque. Kindly email back, if it's still forsale. Hope to hear from you asap.
Cheers.
Joe
+447024037496
Quaver
Regular

ALERT - ALLEGED SCAM - Gary Hume aka Gary Feeney

Postby Forum Admin » Fri May 08, 2009 7:04 pm

08 May 2009 -- HE's BACK!!!! Warning: DO NOT transfer money to anyone using the names GARY HUME or GARY FEENEY (Kelso, Edinburgh, Forfar regions) as readers continue to lose money and never receive goods. Ongoing Police enquiries.

Email SOS Managing Director: md@soundonsound.com with your details/experiences.

READ newspaper story about him: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/02/08/newsstory10909342t0.asp

This person has the following adverts live on the site, so DO NOT reply to them:

Microphones : Neumann TLM103 Large diaphragm, cardioid condenser microphone derived from the famous U87. Boxed with shockmount, unused in mint condition. 2 available.
£400. Phone Gary 07935 100616 or Email (Kelso) 05/05/09
Microphones : Neumann U87ai Pro studio mic, large dual-diaphragm capsule with three directional patterns. Mint condition, boxed and unused with boxed EA87 shockmount. Less than six months old.
£750. Phone Gary 07935 100616 or Email (Kelso) 05/05/09
Microphones : Shure SM10A Low-impedance, unidirectional dynamic microphone designed for close-talk head-worn applications. New, boxed and unused.
£70. Phone 07935 100616 (Kelso) 25/04/09
Microphones : Beyerdynamic TG-X 60 High performance professional vocal mic. New and unused in carry case.
£80. Phone 07935 100616 (Kelso) 25/04/09
Microphones : Rode NT1000 Large-capsule condenser microphone. Mint condition and unused.
£90. Phone 07935 100616 (Kelso) 25/04/09
Monitors | Speakers : ESI Pro nEar 08 eXperience Studio Near-field reference monitors, extended low frequency response and high quality Kevlar 8" drivers. Boxed and unused.
£140. Phone Gary 07935 100616 or Email (Kelso) 05/05/09
Synth Modules : Korg Triton Rack Excellent sound module, hardly used in mint condition. Still boxed, with manuals, discs and cables.
£380. Phone Gary 07935 100616 or Email (Kelso) 05/05/09
Voice Channels | Preamps : Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Voice channel strip with ADC board fitted. Hardly used, mint condition, boxed with cables and manual.
£200. Phone Gary 07935 100616 or Email (Kelso) 05/05/09

We have received reports that he has taken money and NOT (yet) delivered said goods to the innocent purchasers.

BEWARE and anyone already recently affected by this, feel free to send by email any emails you have had with this person so that we may pass on again to the Police - include statement in any email you send to SOS MD Ian Gilby, that you are willing to have your info passed to the Police to assist in clearing up this matter.

READ newspaper story about him: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/02/08/newsstory10909342t0.asp
Forum Admin

Postby Kwaidan » Sat May 09, 2009 1:35 pm

anyone had emails about buying gear from you, from this email address, legit or not ?

sengaruny@aol.com

english is pretty poor with typing errors
Kwaidan
Regular

Postby DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:51 pm

TR 808 listed in Readers' Ads as of 26/06/09

As new condition and only wants £600 for it.....so I responded :round1:

This is his reply email (reported to SOS)

RE: Enquiry re TR-808 in Sound On Sound Readers' Ads‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: 27 June 2009 11:25:37
To: thesynthwizard@hotmail.com

Hey,

Give me your address.

Your name and your address.

I'm going to come to you as I don't have home.

Be alone as I hate crowds.

Prepare Cash for me.I want to see notes.No mess.Real ones.

I don't have a phone number bastard stole it.I have f*** who steal other ppl property.Thats not me.

So if you want it - I can bring it to you if you give me your address and tell me when you'r at home.

Do you have wife or someone else I can see if you are out working ? Are they in your flat 24/7 ?

Just for security of my own , who do you live with ? Any other adults there ?

Peace

> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:25:10 +0000
> To: drkamkurac@hotmail.com
> From: ReadersAds@soundonsound.com
> Subject: Enquiry re TR-808 in Sound On Sound Readers' Ads
>
> From: thesynthwizard@hotmail.com
>
> Still Available?
>
> Can you elaborate on its condition? Got any pictures?
>
> Thanks, im interested
>
> Jago
DIGITAL SCREAMS
New here

Postby Persuazion » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:43 pm

OH MY GOD!!!

This guy sounds insane! 'Be alone, I hate crowds'!!!

Don't be alone, have at least 10 Police Officers Hiding for when he steals you're money and all your other belongings!

Seriously, this is the craziest I've heard yet. Sounds like he's either out to steal or I hate to say it but... worse if your wife was dealing with him.

Unbelievable!

:madas: :madas: :madas:
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

http://www.loverslanestudios.co.uk

Re: How can i prove i'm not a scammer?

Postby The Compton Chicken » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Yeah that's a common problem in Russia
The Compton Chicken
Poster

Postby Reiknir » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:09 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:
Hey,

Give me your address.

Your name and your address.

I'm going to come to you as I don't have home.

Be alone as I hate crowds.

Prepare Cash for me.I want to see notes.No mess.Real ones.

I don't have a phone number bastard stole it.I have f*** who steal other ppl property.Thats not me.

So if you want it - I can bring it to you if you give me your address and tell me when you'r at home.

Do you have wife or someone else I can see if you are out working ? Are they in your flat 24/7 ?

Just for security of my own , who do you live with ? Any other adults there ?
Give him this address :

Rooney's Boxing Gym
895/896 Arch, Holyrood St.
London SE1 2EL

Tell him it is your place of work
Reiknir
Regular

Postby Persuazion » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:22 am

Seriously, that's a scary one.
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby hogberto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:55 am

that will be the same joker who's pretending to sell a matrix 12 for £900 and an M3 73 for £750. among other things.

i can't believe these ads are still up.
hogberto
Regular

Postby DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:36 pm

What happens if he were to google my name, and somehow find my real address?

This experience has made me think twice about posting/replying to adverts. Whats scares me....is that had he listed the 808 for £1100, dispensed with the alarming email....I would have wound up with a potentially lethal individual in my house.

Thats whats really disturbing me right now.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
New here

Postby directresolution.com » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:54 pm

I remember someone else posting a pretty much exact copy of this message a short while back, it looks like a copy and paster job.

Bizzare type of scam message as it could surely never work!
directresolution.com
Regular

Postby Persuazion » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Very easy to set the guy up for a sting but VERY dangerous. Still, I'd be tempted to let him meet a few of my friends! lol
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby ainternational » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Don't know whether I'm being scammed here, but I bought a Korg Nano Pad and Nano Control from an ad in Readers' Ads on 1st July. Seller replied after bank transfer on the day to say it'd be posted 'sometime this afternoon'. Since then I've heard nothing - emailed twice with no reply. At what point should I deduct it's a scam? Maybe Royal Mail are being very slow and the seller's away on holiday?? I know it's only been 8 days, but I'm starting to get nervous... the amount's not large, but if this has happened to others? The ads are still up on the site.
ainternational
Regular

Postby careful buyer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:45 pm

Kwaidan wrote:anyone had emails about buying gear from you, from this email address, legit or not ?

sengaruny@aol.com

english is pretty poor with typing errors

So does anybody have the scoop on this individual - either as a seller or a buyer? Please share...
careful buyer

Postby Ripped off » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 pm

BEWARE "PETER CRAVEN" AKA GARY FEENEY!
This guy recently ripped me off for £450 in a Neumann TLM103 scam on SOS readers ads.
He is extremely plausable,knows his stuff and seems completely at ease when you speak to him.
A very smooth con-man.
He uses a legitimate bank account under the name "Gary Feeney."

Police are investigating.The bank fraud team have also been notified.

Go with care people.
Ripped off
New here

Postby Phil O » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:22 am

Ripped off wrote:BEWARE "PETER CRAVEN" AKA GARY FEENEY!
This guy recently ripped me off for £450 in a Neumann TLM103 scam on SOS readers ads.
He is extremely plausable,knows his stuff and seems completely at ease when you speak to him.
A very smooth con-man.
He uses a legitimate bank account under the name "Gary Feeney."

Police are investigating.The bank fraud team have also been notified.

Go with care people.

Isn't there a warning on the readers ads section?

[quote] 08 May 2009 -- HE's BACK!!!! Warning: DO NOT transfer money to anyone using the names GARY HUME or GARY FEENEY (Kelso, Edinburgh, Forfar regions) as readers continue to lose money and never receive goods. Ongoing Police enquiries. Email SOS Managing Director: md@soundonsound.com with your details/experiences.

READ newspaper story about him: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008 ... 9342t0.asp />

Phil O
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext