You are here

eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm

I've just had an interesting response from a seller on eBay, selling an Emu Vintage Keys Plus. When I asked them if they had any pics, they replied "don't have pics...sorry". They're selling a SH!T load of music stuff, worth 10,000's. I was a bit caught off guard, I have to admit... so won't be making a bid on that item.
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Peter Conz Connelly wrote:I've just had an interesting response from a seller on eBay, selling an Emu Vintage Keys Plus. When I asked them if they had any pics, they replied "don't have pics...sorry". They're selling a SH!T load of music stuff, worth 10,000's. I was a bit caught off guard, I have to admit... so won't be making a bid on that item.

Follow up: I replied saying:

"OK, thanks for your reply. If you can be bothered to take some and upload them I might consider bidding. Thanks, P."

Their reply was... wait for it...

"I am not bothered"

My hunch would be they're dodgy so will share their eBay name in case anyone else is looking at any of their items: carmen7221

P
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Peter Conz Connelly wrote:
Peter Conz Connelly wrote:I've just had an interesting response from a seller on eBay, selling an Emu Vintage Keys Plus. When I asked them if they had any pics, they replied "don't have pics...sorry". They're selling a SH!T load of music stuff, worth 10,000's. I was a bit caught off guard, I have to admit... so won't be making a bid on that item.

Follow up: I replied saying:

"OK, thanks for your reply. If you can be bothered to take some and upload them I might consider bidding. Thanks, P."

Their reply was... wait for it...

"I am not bothered"

My hunch would be they're dodgy so will share their eBay name in case anyone else is looking at any of their items: carmen7221

P

It seems this seller is far too good for us mere peasants, check their latest reply out:

"for a stingy 150 quid you want pictures...don't you want a HD movie with this rack? It is in very good condition and by the way...after playing it again...I think for this sort of change is not worth selling is it? So, it is not for sale anymore."

two words, arrogant c**t

P
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 pm

If you check out his auctions, in some of them he states he's leaving the UK for good in 5 days....
Not exactly confidence inspiring?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Chevytraveller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Kwackman wrote:If you check out his auctions, in some of them he states he's leaving the UK for good in 5 days....

Well at least that means we are less one tosser

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Monotron » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 pm

ainternational wrote:This may or may not be genuine

Well, I just had this come through regarding an ad for an MS6:

> My name is Peter Chamberlain from Sweden...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +46704029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back thanks and hope to hear from you soon >

These tossers must think we were born yesterday. I think it's always worth getting them to send pics with copies of your email or the advert next to the item. :bouncy:
Monotron
New here

Postby ainternational » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Germany, Sweden... Mr Chamberlain gets around a bit.

Was going to post an ad warning people to beware of him, but if he's so dim as to continue using the same name, maybe we'd be better off not letting him know he's been rumbled? What do the SOS people think?
ainternational
Regular

Postby ainternational » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:39 pm

ainternational wrote:Germany, Sweden... Mr Chamberlain gets around a bit.

Was going to post an ad warning people to beware of him, but if he's so dim as to continue using the same name, maybe we'd be better off not letting him know he's been rumbled? What do the SOS people think?

On second thoughts, he probably only reads the wanted ads so I will post to warn others
ainternational
Regular

Postby gnarl » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Thank you for this post. He just replied to my wanted add for a GR33. After reading through the thread, I have not tipped him off and just replied that I had already purchased it.

The text in the post is exactly the same as posted by Monotron.
gnarl
Poster
Corridor Etiquette I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

Postby Raystrack » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks for this post about Peter Chamberlain. He has responded to my request for an SM81 mike with the same generic wording as your responses. There again if he is genuinely selling a lot, he may have a template - he included specs and photos on request

My only concern was his gmail address ( I tend to be itchy about gmailers) but when I requested photos he has sent them straight away and they're obviously taken with a mobile. The price is right and he checked post and shipping costs against my address.

I was about to pay via Paypal as the safest means but they didn't recognise his email address - not sure what to do now if he sorts out things with Paypal.
Raystrack
Poster

Postby Guido3 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 am

My advice is walk away. He is a scam. I have put a couple of Wanted Ads on the SOS site. On two occasions I received a reply from this guy. Neither of the things I was looking for were run-of-the-mill stuff. But low and behold, Mr Chamberlain had both of them!!

It is a scam. Do not give your hard earned away. I have been scammed out of £300 once. Never again. And believe me, when you have been scammed you feel sick and bloody angry!!
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby ainternational » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:16 am

Don't do it.

He offered me a TR-808 for £600 (about 2/3 - 1/2 the going rate), with photos, but he referred to it as a TR-606. He also replied to my ad for an S1000.

If there's just one scintilla of doubt about an online transaction, it's better to leave it be: there's plenty of genuine sellers around and nothing's that rare that you should feel you must proceed (I've been trying to buy an 808 for 6 months now) - be patient. My 2p worth is that he'll get back to you saying there's a temporary problem with his Paypal account and can you pay by bank transfer or Western Union. My understanding is that Paypal's not that safe: you pay, the seller swiftly whips the money out of their account - Paypal can only refund you if the money's still in the seller's account (if someone can clarify this, I'd be grateful)...
ainternational
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 am

ainternational wrote: My understanding is that Paypal's not that safe: you pay, the seller swiftly whips the money out of their account - Paypal can only refund you if the money's still in the seller's account (if someone can clarify this, I'd be grateful)...

If someone wanted to take the trouble to empty his account and run every time a transaction was disputed, he could get away with ONE scam. Or there's the Chinese method of flooding eBay for a few weeks with suspiciously cheap memory sticks etc., taking as many orders as they can, sending out fake items and then disappearing. eBay's system might be able to get your money back, but really you have to admit you gambled, and you lost.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Fortunately you can get your money back from Paypal after a fraudulent transaction, as a while ago somebody got hold of my credit card details and used it through Paypal, but I got the money back.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 am

Kwackman wrote:If you check out his auctions, in some of them he states he's leaving the UK for good in 5 days....

Yeah, I didn't see that until after this thread... How blatant it all looks now, seeing that.

P
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 am

raystrack wrote: My only concern was his gmail address ( I tend to be itchy about gmailers)...

I'm a gmailer, it's pretty much my primary address... 'cos I can pick it up anywhere. I know you can with others but I've had this one since Gmail first started, so it's kinda stuck with me.

P
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am

+1 for gmail....don't be gmailist!!
turbodave
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 am

turbodave wrote:+1 for gmail....don't be gmailist!!

What's so dodgy about having a g-mail account? I would of thought the email of choice for scammers would be something like hotmail

Any way I always wanted to see a kind of star rating system similar to ebay on SOS reader ads, I have been buying and selling on SOS since 2003 and it would be nice if any one who never brought anything of me before would know I have sold and brought a few things and have many happy people who haven't screwed over or received dodgy goods...when ever I buy things I always have in the back of my head...what if? Although most of the time the genuine people you can spot a mile off well most any way
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 am

That said.......

I started a thread here relating to small Firewire soundcards. I received a PM from someone on this forum saying they has a Motu Ultralite I could have for free!! He was getting rid of loads of gear because he was moving abroad. He didn't want any money for it just asked me to give a bit of money to charity to 'keep the karma flowing'. I didn't even have to pay for postage.

** ALARM BELLS **

Too good to be true = usually is

I gave the guy my work address as I was weary of giving my home address away under the cicumstances.

Low and behold, a few days later I received a fully working Motu Ultralite.

You see, there are some very genuine people about. Unfortunately, there are more scumbags so spotting a good one is getting harder.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby ainternational » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am

Possible scammer advertising on SOS:

I replied to an ad for a Pioneer EFX 1000 for sale via SOS: got a reasonable reply:

Hiya..Cheers for mailing about my EFX1000 unit. Still have it for sale if you are interested.
I have attached a few pics to this mail. Paypal is also fine
Thanks
Alan

The pics weren't great and alarm bells started ringing when I replied to an ad a day or two later for a very cheap pair of NS10s and found it was from the same seller (just registered on SOS)... He didn't reply this time and now has two further ads for a PCM80 and a TLM103 (both cheap).

Looks suspicious: have informed Ian Gilby.

If I'm wrong, no doubt he'll get back to me and I'll remove this post: in the meantime, beware!
ainternational
Regular

PreviousNext