You are here

eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby iceman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:52 pm

we put our mackie SR40.8 with two psu on ebay got a lot of people bidding on it, clearly marked in the listing PICKUP ONLY cash on collection, the winning bidder sends a message saying he is based in Ireland (we are nr Liverpool) and he would need a few days as his father had just died, no problem so we leave it for a few days, next we get a msg asking for a contact number, no problem, a couple of days later i get another message again asking for my number. I send a message back saying id already given it to him and we need the desk gone as we have plans for the space its taking up, i get a phone call from a 'gentleman' with a very thick Nigerian accent telling me "he pay by cheque is very good!" i tell him No as the listing specifically says cash on collection, then he says "I pay by western union! you send item yes?" i tell him i cant hear him and to send me a message on eBay as the phone line is really really bad. surprise surprise no message!! very anmnoying and time wasting, second chance offer hasnt been taken so now we have to relist the item and wait all over again GRRRRR!!!! :x the persons eBay i.d. is tonybanis051
iceman
Regular
as metal as your nanna`s new hip

Postby fatbenelton » Wed May 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Posted a wanted ad......dubious reply by Andreas Roman of Madrid with very generic description, request for Western Union, Moneygram etc..when asked for pictures got the usual google/ebay rip. Took me 30 secs to find the same picture from an eBay auction...needless to say it wasn't in Spain...beware.
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Re: Readers "Wanted" Ads Scam Alert

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Just received this from a reader:

the guy below
k.w511@outlook.com
has replied to my wanted ad on sos. he then calls himself Kelvin Walker...speaks slightly broken english...says he is in italy but from the uk... then shows you pictures of the item you're after (all jpegs with relevant dates) ...then a passport in the name of Kevin Walker... still signs the email Kelvin...will only accept bacs or moneygram....bank account is in the name of Kelvin....ect ect... you get the picture.

He's on a couple of forums selling stuff as well...google his email address.

thing is, i'm not a mug but he was so very very convincing and if it wasn't for the Kelvin/Kevin slip up i would have gone ahead and transferred almost £500... he is very very good.

people need to be warned of this email and name as he's bound to catch a few.

i hope this helps.

On 29/06/2015 12:02, Sound On Sound Readers Ads wrote:

Hello am from Italy i have the item you advertised for sale and in good condition please let me know if you are still keen to buy and how much you are willing to offer..
Regards
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Readers "Wanted" Ads Scam Alert

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Tapping that email address into the Facebook Search tab brings up this profile...

https://www.facebook.com/schneider.reiner.5
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Just come across an ominous new scam whilst looking at eBay. I'd already noted an earlier hacked account that was listing a Gibson SJ acoustic (standard one picture of the guitar and one picture/screen showing an gmail account to contact before bidding plus offering a buy-it-now price). Then I spotted another vintage Gibson SJ listing (starting at £1) which when I clicked on it, took me to a page purporting to be a new-look eBay sign-in page (despite being already signed-in) - in which you would obviously type in your user name and password. This screen kept coming up every time I clicked on the page. The web address was obviously not an eBay one.

Luckily that listing now appears to have been taken down, but beware if it happens to you. Do not enter your details or he scammers will have access to your account!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Kwaidan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Strange one from a Scary Mary!

Username: mary
Email: maryliace234@gmail.com

I got ur sale toward the Item u posted sell/buy If u accept Paypal (White ostrich feather ballrooom dress).....as Payment email me (maryliace234@gmail.com )

Hmmm is a White Ostrich Feather Ballroom Dress classified as gear ? :roll:
Kwaidan
Regular

Postby Barjeelik » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:17 pm

Hmmm,

Glad I read this as alarm bells were already ringing. Looks remarkably similar in the bad English sense to this I received today (see slow in quotes). So it loosk to be your Scar Mary under another name.

Regards

Bar.

"Message:

I got ur sale toward the Item u posted sell/buy If u accept Paypal.....as Payment email me (rkristi958@gmail.com )"
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby fatbenelton » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Also got this scammer.....

I got ur sale toward the Item u posted sell/buy If u accept Paypal .....as Payment email me (rkristi958@gmail.com )
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Postby Barjeelik » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Changed the price on my ads and got the same fool with the same damn fool message. Seems scammers are the only ones to reply to reader's ads these days :(

I got ur sale toward the Item u posted sell/buy If u accept Paypal .....as Payment email me (rkristi958@gmail.com )
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Trebor Flow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Great thread,

Please excuse my ignorance, but i thought if i pay for something on eBay using my Paypal account - which is how I do buy things of ebay (although almost always new things from businesses) I thought I was fully protected by Paypal buyer Protection.

Reading the Paypal terms and conditions, it states if something doesn't turn up or is not as it should be then I will be entitled to my money back.

is this thread saying that Paypal protection is in effect useless!

Thanks
tf
Trebor Flow
Regular

Postby John Willett » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Trebor Flow wrote:is this thread saying that Paypal protection is in effect useless!

My understanding is that it's useless for the seller.

You can sell something, deliver it properly and as described and the buyer then says "it didn't arrive" or "it was not as described" or the like - gets refunded by PayPal and you (the seller) lose both the money and the goods.

Personally I don't touch e-bay with a bargepole.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Trebor Flow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 pm

OK I understand now - it's not good if you're the seller.

Thanks for that.

tf
Trebor Flow
Regular

Postby forumuser650890 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Beware of buyers offering to pay by Paypal and arranging to have item
Collected - the culprit will receive the goods then claim via Paypal goods were never sent - Paypal then reverse your credit - result lost item lost payment

Typically English is bad I received two emails about 2 unrelated items
Buyer claims to be at sea and buying for a relative AVOI AVOID AVOID !

Example mail

I got your sale toward the Item u posted (item nnnnnn ) for sell and i will like to know if the item is still available for sale do you accept PayPal as Payment You can email me here (Email I'd)
forumuser650890

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:38 pm

forumuser650890 wrote:Beware of buyers offering to pay by Paypal and arranging to have item
Collected - the culprit will receive the goods then claim via Paypal goods were never sent - Paypal then reverse your credit - result lost item lost payment

Typically English is bad I received two emails about 2 unrelated items
Buyer claims to be at sea and buying for a relative AVOI AVOID AVOID !

Example mail

I got your sale toward the Item u posted (item nnnnnn ) for sell and i will like to know if the item is still available for sale do you accept PayPal as Payment You can email me here (Email I'd)

This is why one should always use a service that offers tracking/recorded delivery.

Similarly, make sure you note serial numbers before sending an item - especially mics. A common scam is to say the item wasn't working on delivery and can they please have their money back. They actually had a dead mic of the same model which they've sent back to you - and got a working one for nothing...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby IAA » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Just to say, got following for my synth on classifieds (not pursued it but for info);

Hello,

Thank you for prompt respond,am ready to buy the Item and i will be very glad if you can consider it sold to me,..I'm an honest and straight forward person and always want to be treat the same way,I am presenting this Item to a Cousin as a Birthday Gift and presently am not around as am offshore,I am paying through PayPal and you can put the PayPal charges on me as well because i don't have access to my bank account online where i am,but i have it attached to my PayPal account and that is why am using PayPal to pay you,all i will need is your PayPal email or PayPal invoice to make the payments.

Also i want you to know that there is already a pickup agent that will be handling the pickup of the Item after payments has been sorted out,I will contact the pick up agent with your location once payment is made So that i can know how much it will cost me for the pick up,payment will be make to you as soon as you get back to me with your PayPal email address and phone number, I will be looking forward to hear.
IAA
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:27 pm

^^^ a classic poorly written, poorly worded scam email.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby mathsieve » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am

I also got this exact email on 11th Feb.
forumuser650890 wrote:I got your sale toward the Item u posted

I got another on the same day, which said:

"Is your Item still available for sale and do you accept PayPal?Kindly get back to me at... "

I wondered whether this was also a scam because of the lack of space after the question mark. If anyone also got the exact same mail or thinks this is a scam, please update this thread.
mathsieve

Postby mathsieve » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Ah yes. Now he's come along with a Cousin he's buying a gift for. This is definitely a scam, as previously noted by another poster. Is there a mechanism for flagging people/email addresses as scammers?
mathsieve

Postby Scramble » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:51 pm

These a-holes are also ruining it for people like me, generous people who are genuinely on a ship in the mid-Atlantic and who want to buy a synth as a present for their cousin in Afghanistan. No-one believes me any more.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby fatbenelton » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Got two generic queries today with the exact," Is your Item still available for sale and do you accept PayPal?Kindly get back to me at... " email....

Reply email was to bkatherine1990@gmail.com
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

PreviousNext