You are here

eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:46 pm

What's his general history? His eBay history seems good!
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby baron_de » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:23 pm

having two of them seemed dubious to me... so i googled his address and it turns up on a brace of fraudster lists.

one of the listings has now been removed by eBay themselves.

then there's the price... the fact that he puts his email address on the listing... FB is from sellers... and doesn't reply when i ask to pay COD ;-)

i'd say 'be careful'... no?

...bugger, have i just done myself out of a bargain..?

...double bugger, am i in court for libel..?
baron_de
Regular

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Madness!!! :madas:
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby demon dave » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:44 pm

seen this last week, thought it was too good to be true

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7401167074&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&rd=1

i sent an email to him about shipping costs and i got a message back directing me to email his personal email for a response which i ignored. then i got an email from an "ebay partner" which i never opened. then.. i got a message from ebay in my ebay account saying...

Our records indicate that you recently sent an email to or received an email from downsa through the eBay email system (for example, you may have sent an email to this member through Ask Seller a Question or received an email from this member through Contact eBay Member).

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in hopes that you will respond so that the other party can obtain your email address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations pose and encourage you to be cautious about the email you received from this member.

Please keep in mind, sales that take place outside of eBay are not eligible for any eBay or PayPal protective services and you run the risk of losing your money or your item if you complete these transactions. We would encourage you to review the eBay pages related to Fraud Protection at the address provided below for information on steps you can take to ensure that your transactions are successful:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/isgw-fraud-ov.html

Should you have paid for this item, please write with details through our "Contact Us" form found on the page below:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/contact_inline/index.html

Please select "Report problems with other eBay members > Fraud concerns for buyers > You paid for an item but never received it"

If you have paid for the item through PayPal, you may find the following page useful:

/csg/p?www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_pbp-info-outside

Regards,

Trust & Safety Department

Now i see the item is back under a different name and location..........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digidesign-Control-24-Board_W0QQitemZ7402828577QQcategoryZ23792QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
demon dave

Postby Fuji Ed » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:04 pm

Conz wrote:What's his general history? His eBay history seems good!

His account has been hijacked and used to list fake auctions.

Look at sellers other auctions and see that a wide range of items, desirable to many types of people have been power listed for a 1 day auction. Scammer is trying to lure people interested into offline sales with his invitation to email him.

It's essential to contact sellers through eBays internal messaging system.

Also essential to look at feedback, selling patterns and current auctions when considering buying off anyone. If something looks suspicious, confirm that it's not before sending payment. There's lots of scams out there!!!
Fuji Ed
New here

Postby baron_de » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:02 pm

Intesteting to see how these things "work". So it's a hijacked good history.

But good news! His buyer backed out and I've still got a chance for a cheap Voyager!

>Hello,

>I ended my auction early, since a customer convinced me
>that he will buy my item for sure today, while he had the
>money in hand.
>But in the last email he told me that he can`t buy my item >anymore. I don`t know what to think..but I reported him to >eBay.
>Are you interested to purchase my item for US$ 1600?
>I will cover all the shipping and insured fees. You will >receive the item in Max 2-3 business days at your door. >You must know that I have asked in my auctions to be >contacted in my email address because I am carefully with >my auctions since I had multiple problems in the past with >nonpaying bidders so this is not the first time when I >meet with this problem.

I will be glad to hear from you as soon as possible!

Best Regards,

>>I am interested in this item, can I have details of >>shipping to UK, please.

>>Also, I need to pay Cash-On-Delivery - is this possible?

>>Thanks!

...ho hum...
baron_de
Regular

SOS Readers Ads Scammer

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:11 am

Seems like quite a few readers ads advertisers are being approached by someone using the email address geo_willis07@myway.com and sending them a variation of the typical scammer First Contact email. See example below:

Dear seller,
I 'm interested in purchasing your advertised [your product will appear here] and i will like to know the price if is okay by me.if I can pay with a cheque drawn in your location. If this is okay with you do get back to me immediately for me to arrange the payment. Concerning the shippment, my shipper will come and pick it up from your location as soon as we seal this transaction. Do get back to me immediately with your Full Name, Contact Address and
Phone Number for me to instruct my client to make the payment ASAP. Hope to hear from you soon.
Best regards

Our advice is to proceed no further with such approaches and ignore them, or you might lose your shirt!

Personally, I would ignore any would-be buyer whose email contains reference to a "shipper" and then wait and see how they follow this up. If they are a genuine advertiser, it should become apparent.

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,911 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby forumuser672102 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi all,

I have this one too. Typical bad English, send me your address and I send round some nice peolpe who will save you on your house-moving costs. Yeah right !

Just a thought, if you do get this one, remember they do not know your email address as it is sent through the system. If you reply, you will be bombarded with mulitple "phishing" emails.
Also, if you are a PC user watchout as they will send you one or two choice hidden applications that clock your key activity etc to get passwords.
The apps are hidden in "document" files and on the PC they are hidden/ disguised, not so on the Mac as they are quite easy to see.
they usually look innocent enough, like "Here are those files you requested"
'data.doc'

Best advice is to bin all such mail.

8-)
forumuser672102

Postby Conny » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:34 pm

can anyone with a more trained eye tell me if this ebay offer is authentic; it seems too good to be authentic... http://cgi.ebay.com/MACKIE-D8B-DIGITAL-mixer-custom-patch-bay-snake_W0QQitemZ6621571199QQcategoryZ50QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting :?
Conny
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:53 am

connie wrote:can anyone with a more trained eye tell me if this ebay offer is authentic; it seems too good to be authentic... http://cgi.ebay.com/MACKIE-D8B-DIGITAL-mixer-custom-patch-bay-snake_W0QQitemZ6621571199QQcategoryZ50QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting :?

Best thing to do is throw a few questions at the seller like, "can I view /try the goods before I bid?", "can I pay cash and collect personally?", etc. If they refuse any of these, steer well clear...

I remember seeing an auction for a Fairlight, with no pictures, although they were available upon demand, so I requested them... They were pictures of a Synclavier (pics were actually from Synhouse a Sync restorer, who I know), so I played with the seller for a little while. In a nutshell, he was adamant I was NOT to see the unit(s) until payment had been made and cleared. He actually started to get irate.

Good luck!
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby bakup » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:33 am

this item has been removed early from ebay , beware of items
advertised from the bristol area there is a member of this mag with several items for sale in the readers adverts,if you want to read an interesting bit of infomation search for: Knowhere Contact uk: Mangotsfield, the person named here is we believe at it again,
bakup
Poster

Postby Mark III » Sat May 06, 2006 10:58 am

Here is an email I got today regarding an SOS readers ad I have placed.

Dear seller, I'm interested in purchasing your advertised Item,and i will like to know the price if is okay by me.if I
can pay with a cheque drawnin your location. If this is okay with you
do get back to me immediately for me to arrange the payment. Concerning
the shippment, my shipper will come and pick it up from your location
as soon as we seal this transaction. Do getback to me immediately with
your Full Name, Contact Address andPhone Number for me to instruct my
client to make the payment ASAP. Hope tohear from you soon. Best regards,

Looks like a message from here but with different text to try and fool, I'm certainly not going to reply, plus it's all to vague and pass the buckish..if you know what I mean.

Cheers.
Mark III

Postby necromunger » Tue May 09, 2006 4:59 pm

had this on monday and told him where to go

john timms blanch
hi there,how are you doing,however i just contacted my client that the check was sent you 8am this morning with an error on payment,also i will like to notify you that he issue a check of 1500 pounds to you intead your asking 150,there was an over payment of 1350,and i will kindly like you to cash the check immediately you receive it and help have the excess fund send back to him via western union.i hope this is acceptable.Anticipating your quick respond.God bless you.
necromunger
Regular

Postby Telefonic » Wed May 10, 2006 9:51 am

Did anyone see the huge SSL E-series on eBay recently, sat at £200 for days but sold last minute for £8000 odd. Love to know how the buyer got on, the guy had no feedback, it was a private auction etc etc.....
Telefonic

Scammers: close down their email account

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 11, 2006 10:37 am

We received this useful email from a reader, so we are passing on his tip to aid others:

Thanks for your warning regarding the cheque/shipper scam that currently operates. 1 day after placing my ad with you I received this mail which was then followed by the exact pattern you laid out. Having recognised it I contacted the MET as my local Police force and it turns out that there is some limited action that they can take to at least have the fraudsters e-mail account closed down (I realise this is small, but every little helps)

Potential victims need to obtain a reply e-mail directly from the 'buyer' (rather than through your site) and then forward that message with the internet headers pasted in to this address - fraud.alert@met.police.uk . Below is an excerpt from the e-mail I got from the MET.

'To find the Internet Headers you need to look on the original e-mail that was sent to you. I have attached a Web link which explains how to find them. http://www.johnru.com/active-whois/trace-email.html or if using a Macintosh http://www.mind.net/hpage/omacheader.html

Once you have found the Internet Headers you need to copy and then paste this information into your message to us. This then enables us to trace the origin of messages and then if possible close the Website or E-mail account down.

Please note that without this information there is little we can do to help stop this situation being repeated again and again.'

On no account should a suspicious seller give out home address details (even if they really want to see a fraudulent cheque) as this could lead to burglary and their goods disappearing.

I hope that this info can be passed on so that as many of these fraudsters can be stopped, or at least hindered, as possible.

Forum Admin

SOS Readers Ads Scam Alert

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:19 am

The following email reads like a potential scam, and seems to have been sent to lots of advertisers in Readers Ads, so I'm p[osting it here as a warning to TAKE CARE. Personally, I'd give it a wide berth...

Dear Sir/Madam,
H & S International Limited is an european textile company.We produce and distribute clothing materials such as batiks,assorted fabrics and traditional costume worldwide.We have reached big sales volume of textile materials in the Europe and now are trying to penetrate the UK market. Quite soon we will open representative offices or authorized sales centers in the United Kingdom and therefore we are currently looking for people who will assist us in establishing a new distribution network there.
The fact is that despite the UK market is new for us we already have regular clients also speaks for itself.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FOR US?
The international money transfer tax for legal entities (companies) in UK is 25%, whereas for the individual it is only 7%.There is no sense for us to work this way, while tax for international money transfer made by a private individual is 7% .That's why we need you! We need agents to receive payment for our textiles( in money orders,banker's Draft,check or bank wire transfers) and to resend the money to us via Money Gram or Western Union Money Transfer.This way we will save money because of tax decreasing.

JOB DESCRIPTION?
1. Recieve payment from Clients
2. Cash Payments at your Bank
3. Deduct 10% which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed.
4. Forward balance afer deduction of percentage/pay to any of the
offices you will be contacted to send payment to(Payment is to forwarded either by Money Gram or Western Union Money Transfer).

HOW MUCH WILL YOU EARN?
10% from each operation! For instance: you receive 7000GBP via Banker's Draft or money orders on our behalf. You will cash the money and keep GBP 700GBP (10% from GBP7000) for yourself! At the beginning your commission will equal 10%, though later it will increase up to 12%!

ADVANTAGES
You do not have to go out as you will work as an independent contractor right from your home office. Your job is absolutely legal. You can earn up to 3000-4000 GBP monthly depending on time you will spend for this job.
You do not need any capital to start.You can do the Work easily without leaving or affecting your present Job.The employees who make efforts and work hard have a strong possibility to become managers. Anyway our employees never leave us due to our excellent work condition.

MAIN REQUIREMENTS
18 years or older
legally capable
responsible
ready to work 3-4 hours per week.
with PC knowledge
e-mail and internet experience (minimal)
And please know that Everything is absolutely legal, that's why You have to fill a contract!
If you are interested in our offer, please respond with the following

details in order for us to reach you:
NAME
CONTACT ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBERS

Thanks for your anticipated action.And we hope to hear back from you.
YOU ARE TO SEND YOUR REPLY TO MY ALTERNATE/PRIVATE EMAIL:
sobat_tech_uk@yahoo.co.uk
Very Respectfully,
Mr.
President,
H& S International Limited
102 Broadway,
Cowbridge,
CF71 7ER, Wales
United Kingdom
Phone:447024022091
Fax: 447005808027
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:28 am

I got this over the weekend for 3 of my items in the SOS ads column. It read EXACTLY the same for all 3, so looks like a scam to me...

Hello seller,

I am an engineer based in ireland.I saw your advert on the internet, and i must tell you that i am really interested.I want to know the present working condition of your item.Please do go ahead and tell me the present condition ,and the {least price} that it will be sold for. Get back to me quickly to avoid further delay in the purchase,as my shippers are ready to come for the pick-up.

Get Back to me Via My Private Email Address: engr_garry_roland@yahoo.co.uk

Regards,

Garry Roland

If he's genuine, then I apologise, but the email doesn't seem very personal at all and has characteristics of the regular scams we've all come to know and hate!

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:38 am

This Gerry Roland has emailed LOTS of SOS sellers over the weekend too, so I would ignore such contact (any mention of a shipper and steer clear IMHO !!!!).

ian G
Forum Admin

Postby Mr Sister » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Forum Admin wrote:This Gerry Roland has emailed LOTS of SOS sellers over the weekend too, so I would ignore such contact (any mention of a shipper and steer clear IMHO !!!!).
ian G

Yes i thought as much,I had 12 ads in the SOS ad pages and i had an email regarding all of them with the same text from this guy,so thought it was far too hoky,given that he replied exact,when most people tend to be short and sweet when enquiring

Heres the email cut and pasted from my mail box,sounds remarkbly similar to Conz

Hello seller,
I am an engineer based in ireland.I saw your advert on the internet, and i must tell you that i am really interested.I want to know the present working condition of your item.Please do go ahead and tell me the present condition ,and the {least price} that it will be sold for. Get back to me quickly to avoid further delay in the purchase,as my shippers are ready to come for the pick-up.
Get Back to me Via My Private Email Address: engr_garry_roland@yahoo.co.uk
Regards,
Garry Roland

===============================================
Mr Sister
New here

PreviousNext