You are here

Condenser Mic Noise: Possible Causes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Condenser Mic Noise: Possible Causes

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks. I've just read the HHB COMMUNICATION terms...

"If goods are found to be non-defective, once tested in our service department the products will be returned and you will be liable for return delivery and test fees."

I'm not sure if this is just aimed at dealers but I can imagine that (by chance) changing conditions during the initial journey might affect electronic components for the better, so it seems risky.

Perhaps I'll give it another few days.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:12 pm

They're not unreasonable terms, and do encourage people to test their equipment properly before bothering the service department -- a lot of claimed faults with the kind of high-tech gear they sell and distribute are down to finger trouble.

But the HHB guys are sensible people and your fault does seem to be persistent. So, if you still have the problem after a couple more drying days, give them a call, explain the situation and what you've done to try to remedy the problem, and I'm sure you'll find them extremely helpful.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks Hugh,

I have a halogen light that's on for most of the night, so I could leave it moderately close above it on the stand. I wonder if it's worth leaving it plugged into phantom power while I work on other stuff.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:55 pm

A lot of pro studios leave their mics on phantom power permanently. It doesn't drink much power and ensures they are always warmed up and ready. In your case it might help either to cure or kill -- either moving you forawd one way or the other! ;) be worth coveringhte mic with a clean plastic bag, though, just to keep the dust off. Leave the bag open at the bottom to allow the air to circulate.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby SimonZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:02 pm

It may need a bit longer, leaving phantom on will help it along.

My last encounter with HHB regarding Rode mic service went like this .....

HHB: Hello HHB
Me:I bought a 5th hand Busted up old NT1000 broken on ebay, looked like it had been dropped from 500 feet onto jagged rocks and rolled into a swamp. It's all fixed up now but I need the little plastic thingy that keeps the capsule clipped into the mount.

HHB: Er, it's kind of a whole assembly but before I go look for a plastic thingy in the workshop, what's the serial No. ?
Me: It's 123xyz
......sound of tapping on computer keyboard at other end.....
HHB:It's still in Warranty, send it in, we'll replace the whole capsule assembly.
Me: WHAT !! ? only need plastic thingy, 5th hand.... rocks... swamp etc
HHB: Computer says warranty
Me: Cool :D

Jiffy bag, postage, £6 ish.
Two weeks later, mic comes back with brand new capsule assembly.

Outstanding !!
Imagine a whole world like that 8-)
SimonZ
Regular

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:34 am

Yeah, I'm becoming less optimistic about fixing it myself. I can't really see how it could have got damp at all, let alone enough to take so long to dry. I've had it drying out for two days and nights, and again tonight infront of a halogen light fire (on low) for about 8 hours so that the mic became warm at different angles, and left it on phantom power for that time too. No change or improvement at all, just a really loud rustling noise -louder than any recorded signal it picked up. I listened in to it now and again and noticed that the noise started some time after it was switched on and continued. I think it's a warranty job, but maybe one or two more days...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 am

Yes, if it's that warm and still no better it's almost cetrainly something more serious. Rode's warranty is pretty good. Get in touch with HHB.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 am

Well, I sent the mic back and they fixed and returned it within a week! (The cause/fault was not mentioned on the form though.)

Thanks

Postby canhyon » Sat May 09, 2020 8:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It does sound like a humidity problem. This kind of thing is made infinitely worse if the capsule diaphragm is dirty which tends to happen if the mic is used in a smoky environment, or is sung into at close range a lot without a pop-screen.

In these cases the dirt on the diaphragm tends to 'hold on' to water vapour more stubbornly and so it takes far longer to 'dry out' and is more prone to future repeat bouts.

Hello guys,

First I would like to thank you Hugh for your great input on this matter. I have a Rode NT2-A, my first mic, it has been a solid companion for hours and hours of recording and I just love it.

Two days ago the problem started, exact same sound as in the Soundcloud clip on this thread. It might stop sometimes if I go for the -10db. But I don't want to go there, and even when I go it comes back after some time.
Besides that here in Portugal we have went through 4 rainy days followed by two really extra warm days, and then back to rain. So I guess it is the exact humidity problem Hugh was suggesting.

I will try to dry mine for a day or two with rice and salt. I have one questions though:
1- Is there any way to clean the capsule diaphragm that might be dirty as you said? Could or should I unmount the mic and do it?

Thank you!!
canhyon

Postby rhannington » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Guest wrote:I've just read a lot about how these Rode mics are durable and hardy compared to other capacitor mics. I can't see how I could've damaged it so easily. It could take weeks to get it back from repairs or get a replacement. Damn!

Has anyone else heard this sound caused by damp from a condenser...?

http://soundcloud.com/tonespectra/rode-nt2-a-noise

Yes, I had just that sort of noise on a AKG P170 after only a few weeks of owning it from new. I sent it back to Bax the supplier who told me that AKG could find no fault with it. After getting it back and hearing the noise again, I found this post.
I dried the mic near a radiator for a couple of days and now It’s completely quiet again. The mic had not been used for voice , just acoustic guitar. The room it’s in maybe very slightly damp at the level the mic was sitting at on the stand, but I also have a Rode NT1A which shows no signs of this, so mayb the AKG is vert sensitive to moisture.
Anyway, very pleased to have got this pointer, thanks.
Richard
rhannington

Previous