You are here

Recommend me a good piano module?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recommend me a good piano module?

Postby Sendo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:17 pm

I just picked up a Kurzweil midiboard and i'm looking for a nice sounding piano module to pair it with.

I don't need any bells and whistles, i just want a simple, great sounding piano sound that i can use live, and will hopefully come across well on PA gear that may not be so good, since i play a lot of DIY gigs.

For some perspective, i used to use a MOTIF, and i thought the preset pianos sounded pretty awful.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sendo
Poster

Re: Recommend me a good piano module?

Postby _.jk._ » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:20 pm

Steinberg the Grand 2, not sure of the price, but its great i think
_.jk._
Regular

Postby thenaturallevel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:25 pm

NI Akoustik Piano
thenaturallevel
Regular

Postby Sendo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks guys, i've had a look at both of those, they do look great, and i think i will invest in one for playing at home, but for the purpose of gigs, i would like a hardware module so i don't have to carry my laptop about. Sorry should have specified that...
Sendo
Poster

Postby Parker Fly » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:43 pm

The defalt piano sounds on the Fantom XR are pretty good, they're certainly better than the equivalent Yamaha/Korg sounds, although getting the SRX-02 board for it would be the best combination. The default piano sound "So True..." is very good live, it's already EQ'd and it always sits in the mix well.

A secondhand Fantom XR is about £400, and about £100 for the SRX-11, although any XV Roland module will accept the SRX-11 cards. The XV's chipset isn't quite as good as the XR, but it's more than passable playing live.

Thanks
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:44 pm

You probably won't find one *better* as such than the Motif, but you'll certainly find different comparable ones - for instance, Roland do two Piano SRX boards for compatible synths/modules.

I always like the old Kurzweil Micropiano, which are still in demand. Small, 16-bit mono samples - ancient in sampling terms, but they have a kind of "rock" piano sound which I always really liked. There's a more modern version called the MicroEnsemble iirc which might be worth checking out.

The stock pianos on the Roland JV/XV stuff suck as well - any decent sample set sounds better (comparable to stock module drum sounds in comparison to something like BFD).

If your Motif has sample ram, you could always get a decent sample set you like, optimise it for the amount of sample ram in your keyboard, and use that instead.

Otherwise it's a case of going into some shops, or checking online audio demos of keyboards/modules until you find something that matches your tastes, budget and other requirements...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Scramble » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:25 pm

Here's a left-field suggestion to save you having to buy a module or a laptop -- firstly, buy the 64Mb sample RAM for the Motif (it's cheap these days) and then load William Coakley's Perfect Piano Pro into it. These are piano samples that get rave reviews, and they're specifically optimized for the Motif (and will fit into the sample RAM). Then you can report back here on how good they actually are!

Or try any of the piano samples from Motifator.com.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby porthoss78 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 am

I know you prob don't want to change but what about simply buying a stage piano? You can pick a new cheap one like the M Audio Pro Keys for as little as £300 or get a secondhand one off of Ebay (Korg SP200, Yamaha P80, P70) for the same price. I have a P80 and it's very easy to move around and sounds/feels great. You can also use it for triggering other synths/modules etc. through MIDI.

J
porthoss78
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:49 am

Which Kurzweil board did you get?...

Kurzweil's internal piano sound has always been very highly regarded considering it's small sample size.

And for live performance all these big software libraries just overkill IMO
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!