You are here

Patchbay for inserts

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Patchbay for inserts

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Make 'em yourself I say. A drum of decent cable, a bag of jacks and a couple of hours with a soldering iron and cable ties can give you an economical and neatly loomed installation that you can be proud of that will outlast a bunch of wrongly sized, bulky, pre-made cables.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby cashhewn » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:57 am

Hello,

Apologies for any breach of protocol, this is my first post here.

I came across this thread in an attempt to figure out how to route the inserts from a Soundcraft 600 series console to a Samson patchbay and then to/from outboard processors. A user called The Elf in this thread mentions that he sent a spreadsheet to the original poster and I can't figure out how to message The Elf to kindly ask for a copy of the spreadsheet (or diagram). I still can't quite get my head around the routing and normalization type required (this is all a thought experiment for me at the moment as I can't actually do the routing until I install everything into the studio this summer but I'm trying to get an understanding and jump on things ahead of time, as well as figure out what and how many cables I need to buy).

Thanks so much for any help!
cashhewn

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 am

Welcome to the SOS forums.

As a new member, the PM system is locked out until you have more than three posts to your name -- it's part of our anti-spamming measures. However, existing members can reach you via your registered email address and hopefully the Elf will be able to send you the spreadsheet once he's seen this. I'll draw it to his attention for you anyway.

In the meantime, there are several articles in the SOS archives about patchbays that might help, such as these:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-installation-workshop-patchbays

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/low-down-analogue-interfacing
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:36 am

PM sent...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:However, existing members can reach you via your registered email address and hopefully the Elf will be able to send you the spreadsheet once he's seen this. I'll draw it to his attention for you anyway.

No, only mods can see the user's email button in their profile.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 pm

The Elf wrote:PM sent...

They won't get it until they've made two more posts.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby cashhewn » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Thanks so much Hugh and Elf, I did indeed receive the XLS document.

Also, I understand that I can't respond directly via DM until I've been a bit more active post-wise, so let me say thanks here.

And I must say it's also great to get a response from Hugh since I've read so many of his articles, I'm glad to be a part of the group now! This site has been a priceless resource, hopefully I can start giving some back as soon as I get this studio up and all the gear running and get some experience under my belt...

Thanks again!
cashhewn

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:43 pm

:thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:42 pm

cashhewn wrote:This site has been a priceless resource, hopefully I can start giving some back as soon as I get this studio up and all the gear running and get some experience under my belt...

It's a gas the first time you actually get to do that, somethimng to look forward to.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:11 pm

One bit of advice...

Given that you're at the start of this, wherever you can use a balanced cable, rather than unbalanced - use one. You'll save a lot of trouble later if you follow this.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 pm

Please return at some point and let us hear about your experiences. It will be helpful to others travelling the same road.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 am

cashhewn wrote:And I must say it's also great to get a response from Hugh since I've read so many of his articles, I'm glad to be a part of the group now! This site has been a priceless resource, hopefully I can start giving some back as soon as I get this studio up and all the gear running and get some experience under my belt...

A lot of people post in these forums looking for an answer, get it, and then never return. It's always nice when someone sticks around and participates in not only the Q&A aspect of things but also on an ongoing basis in the community spirit that's here. I did exactly that a while back and I'm jolly glad I did :D

We also hold regular physical meetups where you can get to meet Hugh and others in person. There are two coming up soon, one in Kent on Feb 29th and one in Wycombe on Feb 12th.

Regardless of whether you are willing/able to make the meets, do feel free to participate in the general banter and ongoing friendly nature of the forums. It's great to have new folks join the community!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Previous