You are here

Finally finished my album! Pop/Rock/Punk/Ska

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Finally finished my album! Pop/Rock/Punk/Ska

Postby Atila » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. My original mixes (which is hard to pinpoint since each of those had at least 6 mixes each before what I thought was final) had way too much bass in them. I never noticed this on my Sennheiser HD650s until I played it on a mate's TV via my laptop, and the bass distorted something fierce. Needless to say, commercial tracks on MTV and the like did not distort...
So I started fearing the bass frequencies like the devil does the cross, and maybe I overdid it.
I did listen to them on everything I could find, including the TV, my computer speakers (not monitors, but they're pretty good for speakers), a car stereo, a hi-fi, cheap earbuds, the laptop speakers, the works. Hardly any of these is good for judging the bass however, and a bass-light mix would sound good on things that can't even reproduce the bass anyway.
I'm going to have a listen at home over the w/e - just thinking of mixing every night again makes me shudder, but I want them to sound as good as they can.
Having said that, a part of me wonders if I should bother when only a fraction of people can tell the difference.

Átila
Atila
Poster

Re: Finally finished my album! Pop/Rock/Punk/Ska

Postby mysticjim » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Atila wrote:
Having said that, a part of me wonders if I should bother when only a fraction of people can tell the difference.

Átila

Hi dude, its fair point, having got a big body of work to this point, sometimes its worth looking to address things on your next project rather than revisiting the past again and again.

Out of interest, what is your recording setup, equipment and recording/mixing environment?

Jim
mysticjim
Regular