You are here

Nuisance neighbour evidence..Need some recording advice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nuisance neighbour evidence..Need some recording advice

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 am

Welcome to the SOS forums.

We have questions like this regularly. And the answer is always the same, you need expensive, calibrated, tools to take the measurements/recordings.

And once you have the information you still have to convince the management committee who are almost certainly ordinary people who don't understand what the measurements are telling them.

Don't waste your money and efforts on recordings. Instead spend a fraction of the money on drinks and snacks and invite the committee for a small drinks party and let them hear for themselves.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby TheSwede86 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:31 pm

zenguitar wrote:Welcome to the SOS forums.

We have questions like this regularly. And the answer is always the same, you need expensive, calibrated, tools to take the measurements/recordings.

And once you have the information you still have to convince the management committee who are almost certainly ordinary people who don't understand what the measurements are telling them.

Don't waste your money and efforts on recordings. Instead spend a fraction of the money on drinks and snacks and invite the committee for a small drinks party and let them hear for themselves.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I will contact the committee again, when I talked to them they seemed sympathetic and asked me to document the noises and get back to them.

I have tried recording it using my phone's microphone and even tried an external microphone connected to my phone but the recording is a poor representation of the sound:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDKBXKV/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I have documented it as well but due to the nature of the sound it is intermittent so an entry for an hour might look like this:
10:00-10:03 Thuds
10:10-10:15 Running / screaming
10:19-10:20 Stomps
10:25-10:30 Dragging something across the floor
and so on so you basically can do nothing else then sitting with an excel spreadsheet and your phone and trying to document the sound and feeling your pulse rise.

Music normally is a consistent sound so an entry for an hour there might be:
23:05-23:40 Music

I will go ahead and contact them again and let the chips fall where they may, it's either that or moving.

Naturally I've contacted my neighbours and even written a letter about the problems and they said that the building is responsive and "kids are kids" and I should take a broom to my ceiling and thump back when I hear them or go up and talk to them.

I just think that those actions should not be necessary :(

Best Regards
TheSwede86

Postby CS70 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:08 pm

TheSwede86 wrote:Yeah I will contact the committee again, when I talked to them they seemed sympathetic and asked me to document the noises and get back to them.

As Andy says, "document the noises" as audio recordings is simply not gonna work, and the best you can do is to invite a couple of the committee people over for some drinks and let them witness by themselves.

But: the Excel thing is not a bad idea. The very fact that you go to the length and effort to document events and their precise days/time can be a far better "proof" than a lousy recording that can be easily dismissed.

Even better, I'd avoid the Excel and make a paper log - easier to have at hand and it's intuitively less easy to tamper with.

You could try to mount isolating panels on the ceiling, but low frequency vibrations would pass anyways and there's no telling how much it would help without evaluating the room and its construction (plus making of course your room slightly smaller).

Perhaps in Sweden there's a city office specifically for this kind of disturbance problems?

Naturally I've contacted my neighbours and even written a letter about the problems and they said that the building is responsive and "kids are kids" and I should take a broom to my ceiling and thump back when I hear them or go up and talk to them.

I just think that those actions should not be necessary :(

Perhaps they shouldn't, but that doesn't help you. The thumping idea is not bad as gives the parent a clear trigger to tell the kids to keep quiet.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:00 pm

zenguitar wrote:...invite the committee for a small drinks party and let them hear for themselves.

Lovely idea. Annoyance can be represented on paper but you might just as well interpret it through the medium of mime.

There's really no substitute for feeling that actual annoyance yourself.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby TheSwede86 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:56 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
zenguitar wrote:...invite the committee for a small drinks party and let them hear for themselves.

Lovely idea. Annoyance can be represented on paper but you might just as well interpret it through the medium of mime.

There's really no substitute for feeling that actual annoyance yourself.

Don't really know what happened, posted a reply and just got directed to the main forum overview.

Anyway a shorter reply than my precious:
When I have guests over it's dead quiet.
The neighbours probably notice when I have guests and they tell the kids to be quiet and doesn't take the "fight"
with the kids unlesss they know I have guests over.

So I risk to invite the committee over and it's basically dead quiet. Would be quite irritating :D

But thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll email the committee on Monday to discuss further actions.
TheSwede86

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:02 am

TheSwede86 wrote:Don't really know what happened, posted a reply and just got directed to the main forum overview.

Sometimes it is easy to click the wrong button. The black Forum Index button will do what you described. I still click the wrong button sometimes when I'm typing quickly.

zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Previous