You are here

"sucky side-chain madness"

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: those pumpin' drum beats

Postby The Korff » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:11 am

ryan mead wrote:If you can make it to 1:20 of the Benassi clip

I can't.

But apparently... there's an 808-type kick drum sound being layered over the other clip, and the hi-hat definitely sounds like it's being squished by one of the kicks.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: "sucky side-chain madness"

Postby leslawrenson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:40 am

Korff wrote: A recent example

And a cracking video!

Also, that was the first and only track that Prof Stephen Hawking ever released!

Ahem!

On a more serious note...

If you have Reason (any version), it's very easy for you to test and practice these sorts of side-chaining techniques. I'm sure it's easy to test it in Sonar, Cubase, Logic, etc, but as a predominantly hardware sort of bloke, Reason is the main software DAW I used for this sort of thing.

In Reason, simply create a mixer, a ReDrum machine with, say, a techno-type kit, and a synth with an analogue-type bass sound. In the sequencer, record a 4-on-the-floor kick pattern, and a droning-type bass line. Then, you can set up a compressor on the bass synth, and plug the kick drum from the ReDrum into the sidechain. Finally, fiddle with the attack and release settings on the compressor, until you get the effect you desire.

You can do fairly complex things, even in Reason. Eg, you can set up another compressor on the bass synth, and route the hi-hat pattern from the ReDrum into its sidechain, to get another gating-type effect, in addition to the "suck" created by the kick. In this manner, you can generate all sorts of rhythms within the main beat to enhance it and add interest.

I'm people have other tricks up their sleeves.
leslawrenson
Regular