You are here

technology and music questionnaire!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: technology and music questionnaire!

Postby redleicester » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:18 am

Not quite a dissertation but hey.

Media and Technology Questionnaire.

Please try and give more than 1 word answers I.e. not just yes or no. Just a brief description would be great!

Do you own an iPod or similar device (Zune, Zen etc)?

YES. Neither Zune, Zen nor iProd.

Do you own CD’s and a CD player?

YES. Several. Tascam, Cyrus, Denon, Sony.

Do you own vinyl? Is it for listening purpose? (i.e. not samples)

YES. Currently doing duty as a doorstop.

Do you rip your music/dvd’s onto your computer?

YES, I put them into the drive and they end up on my hard disc.

When is your favourite time to listen/watch to your personal media?

When I have spare time, which given I work for a living, am married and have two small children is pretty rare.

In the future, do you want to see more ways of accessing your media? (I.e. like phones that play music, would you like to hear music at bus stops? To be awoken by your favourite media?) How would you like to have it with you? How would you like your media delivered?

All of the above have been available for years. Delivery is currently by radio waves or the Internet, so barring the reemergence of carriar pigeons, I think that's most issues sown up. As for music at bus stops, I vote Conservative and thus have no knowledge of what a bus is apart from a gratuitously expensive, ozone destroying proletariat transport device.

Do you still buy CD’s or pay for downloads?

I buy CDs. Why would I want to pay for something that is hamstrung by legalities and poor quality?

Do you illegally download music through torrents and other means?

No.

If your favourite songs were available to you for a small price (i.e. 25p) would you still illegally download?

See above.

If you pay for your downloads, what site do you get them from?

See above.

If you download a lot, do you burn to CD?

See above.

If CD’s were abolished due to the horrific accident between a man, a dog, CD’s and a bottle of lube, would you miss them?

See above. Yes.

Any general thoughts on Digital media? Good or bad?

Aha, one I can get my teeth into:

Personally I found ADAT rather poor, though DTRS was better. Always wished there wasa digital variant of U-Matic, but then we can't have everything. Love my DAT autoloader, and backups just wouldn't be the same without it. I do wish that HD-DVD was more likely to regain it's status, but then we've been here before, so anything may yet happen. DCC had its place and was vastly superior to MD, but sadly marketing forces yet again forced the manufacturers hands. Thank god for the World Wide Web, don't know where we'd be without it.
redleicester
Regular
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Postby redleicester » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:20 am

reid wrote:Nurse?

Prozac please.

DOCTORRRRRR!!! WE'VE GOT A LIVE ONE!!!!! PADDLES! STAT! :bouncy:
redleicester
Regular
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 pm

As John said, all I got was a web page that asked for money. Also I (along with many other people) do not have a doc reader or any Microsoft software other than Windows. Indeed it is banned on my side of the building. On the admin side, they have all kinds of girly stuff like that, but in the studio, men are men.

But now that I know what the questions are, I can attempt an answer or two -

Do you own an iPod or similar device (Zune, Zen etc)?

No.

Do you own CD’s and a CD player?

Yes, but it's broken - so I just listen to Radio Four.

Do you own vinyl? Is it for listening purpose? (i.e. not samples)

I own loads of vinyl, two inflatable beds and some old lilos, though they all have holes in them. Back in the 70's, I had an inflatable Margret Thatcher, but one day, she made a farting noise and flew out the window.

But if you mean records - Yes. Sometimes.

Do you rip your music/dvd’s onto your computer?

No.

When is your favourite time to listen/watch to your personal media?

I have a life, therefore I watch 'Dave' in the evening occasionally, but that's about it.

In the future, do you want to see more ways of accessing your media? (I.e. like phones that play music, would you like to hear music at bus stops?

No. I do not have a cell phone and the idea of being pestered by music is abhorrent.

Music at bus stops? Not counting airport shuttle buses, the last time I took a bus was at least 35 years ago. But assuming that I did take busses, it's bad enough being very poor, but having to listen to music just because you can't afford proper transport is adding insult to injury!

To be awoken by your favourite media?)

I listen to Radio Four - indeed, I have it on all night. This annoys my wife who then turns it off. This wakes me up and I usually say something like "I was listening to that!"

She then bites me.

How would you like your media delivered?

By a naked, Scottish widow in handcuffs, with a DVD of 'Porky's Revenge' clenched between her buttocks.

Do you still buy CD’s or pay for downloads?

As I cannot download a naked, Scottish widow in handcuffs, I do neither.

Do you illegally download music through torrents and other means?

No.

If your favourite songs were available to you for a small price (i.e. 25p) would you still illegally download?

I have not yet stopped beating my mother.

If you pay for your downloads, what site do you get them from?

No, Mummy is still getting beaten!

If you download a lot, do you burn to CD?

Poor old Mummy!

If CD’s were abolished due to the horrific accident between a man, a dog, CD’s and a bottle of lube, would you miss them?

I would definitely miss the bottle of lube.

Any general thoughts on Digital media? Good or bad?

Bad. Very bad. It just could be any worse.

God, it's awful!

Ghastly business.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)