You are here

Interesting Topic - Singing With Accents -OT

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Interesting Topic - Singing With Accents -OT

Postby onesecondglance » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 am

having seen various interviews with kate nash, i can say safely that her speaking accent is much less exaggerated than her singing accent... btw, does anyone else find that song "foundations" makes her comes across as a really hateful, horrible person? :D

i dunno, the whole UK regional accent trend seems to be very fake to me. sure, some bands - e.g. Arctic Monkeys - are not putting it on, but there are a ton of bandwagon-hoppers out there suddenly affecting northern accents when they're actually from south London... what's wrong with people singing in "normal" English accents? why does a British accent always have to be either stereotypical estuary (miss Nash, I'm looking at you) or Sheffield?! if these bands aren't putting these accents on, why aren't we hearing more variety - black country accents, anyone?
i get equally annoyed with fake American accents, mind. can someone please tell Ian Watkins he's from Pontypridd, not Los Angeles?! :headbang:

oh well. i suppose trends come and go in mainstream music, and the whole accent thing is one that cycles around. i just wish, as a singer, that more people would sing in their own voices. it's almost like people are ashamed of their own accents - especially if they're middle class - and feel the need to affect something else. fine if you're portraying a character in your song - but don't expect me to take your "heartfelt love song" seriously if you can't even be honest about your accent... :bouncy:

just my opinion, anyway.
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Craig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 am

Every vocalist tries to make their performance sound as good as possible to their own ears.
If this involves putting on an accent, then so be it.

I agree that it can be annoying for the rest of us though!
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 am

Some accents just don't sing as well as others.

Luhdun accents are not as singy as many of the regional UK accents.

Think Noddy Holder singing with his broad black country voice compared to Chas 'n' Dave for example.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby duffycolm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:06 am

What about UB40, surely one of the biggest exponents of this kind of behaviour!! :bouncy:
duffycolm
Poster

Postby The Korff » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:10 am

and Sting.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Craig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am

Duffy,

I am sure you've got a copy of the "Bewitched" album somewhere....

" Just loik me da' "!

;) :D
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:21 am

Interesting topic. There are two things that spring to mind. First, the difference between live and recorded music: Isn't the reason we slave over pitch, timing and notes in recordings because they can be heard again and again, whereas a concert is something that involves the performer and audience in that particular place, at that particular time? I think that an analogy to live theatre vs. cinema is valid: You can improvise and to a certain extent joke around with an audience in a theatre setting, but that just isn't possible in a pre-recorded setting as the connection with the audience just isn't there.

Secondly, the discussion concerning accents is quite entertaining from the viewpoint of someone who isn't from the UK or the US. I'm from Norway and most Norwegian bands sing in English/American. If we were "honest" I guess we'd all sing in Norwergian, but English is the lingua franca of pop/rock. Besides, we've been hearing the same artists as people from the UK and US, so even to me a pop song in Norwegian sounds sort of foreign.

Postby duffycolm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:31 am

Mike Craig. wrote:Duffy,

" Just loik me da' "!

Yeah it's sitting underneath my Ronan Keating album collection.... :headbang: :headbang:

or is he Texan :roll:
duffycolm
Poster

Postby Mike Craig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:41 am

duffycolm wrote:
Mike Craig. wrote:Duffy,

" Just loik me da' "!

Yeah it's sitting underneath my Ronan Keating album collection.... :headbang: :headbang:

or is he Texan :roll:

I know what you mean....

And Joss Stone - Do you "dig"?

I mentioned on another thread recently about Paul McCartney at the Brit Awards.
During "Hey Jude", he was talking away to the audience in an American accent.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby duffycolm » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:58 am

It sort of seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't to a certain extent. Putting on non-regional accent (UB40 and so forth) gets slated (by myself also in jest I grant you) but putting on too much of a regional accent (Lets say Kate Nash being a case in point) also gets slated...

So I say we abandon singing altogether, vocals are a pain in the ar$e to get down and lyrics are over-rated anyway :bouncy: :bouncy:

(...and all they can see is a trail of dust!)
duffycolm
Poster

Postby Mike Craig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 pm

I agree. Lets all fire up our vocoders and forget the vocalists from now on. At least they are always in tune.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby snipsnip » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:02 pm

People shouldn't put on accents.

Its horrifically embarrassing to listen to in most instances.

Especially if your a rapper (thankfully this has been eradicated amongst 99% of the practitioners) or if your a songwriter effecting a mockney accent to make you more 'trendy'.
snipsnip
Regular