You are here

Paranoid about noise ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Paranoid about noise ?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:28 am

I think I am, never used to be, but I've got a new mixer, and I'm noticing things I never used to notice, like noise from my sound-card, noise from my keyboard, I find myself now gating everything, I've got gates plugged in everywhere !
I'm using a Studiomaster Series 5 16-4-2, which is OK, I know it isn't the best of mixers, but it's fairly quiet, certainly no more noisy than anything else I've owned. But the gain structure is weired, the faders are obviously designed to be used at the top of their travel, with the overall level set by the input gain control. If I use the channel fader two thirds the way up, theoretically at the 0db point, the channels clip as you have to have the master gain up too much. The faders aren't actually marked with a 0 db point, they go all the way up to 10 as the top mark. Am I setting up the gain correctly ? I've always used mixers that were clearly marked with a 0db point on the channel fader, I'm not used to this.

Tony.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Re: Paranoid about noise ?

Postby matt keen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:06 am

Its a long time since I used an outboard mixer but I have carried over my understanding of gain structure into the DAW.

Anyway< I have always set up a mixing whether tracking or mixing, by optimising gain at each level starting as close to the source as possible. If this means that all the faders are near the bottom then that tells me my signal is probably very hot before it gets there - that would seem a good thing if its not causing any distortion. So I might adjust it pre the fader slightly if I was worried, but I wouldn't start by putting the fader at a supposed "normal" level.

Hope this helps
matt keen
Frequent Poster

Re: Paranoid about noise ?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 am

I have a Studiomaster desk from the same era and I've always used in the conventional way with the faders around 7 - there's something on the screen printing which indicates that this position is normal.

I wonder if the desk's output is set for -10dBv while the rest of your gear is expecting +4dBm? On my Studiomaster there are internal jumpers on the groups and outputs to change this.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page