You are here

Tascam US-122 audio interface leaking sound between DI'd tracks

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Tascam US-122 audio interface leaking sound between DI'd tracks

Postby Biggtime » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:58 pm

I have a Tascam US-122 audio interface and have recently been recording a lot of audio using it into Cubase (SX3). My problem is that where instruments have been plugged in directly to the audio interface (like guitars and bass, using Amplitube 2 for the amp sounds) they are still picking up the rest of the track in the background - when I solo them I can hear the rest of the song in the background during their quiet parts. I'm baffled by this as I assumed there should be no leakage whatsoever with this method of recording. Is it is a problem with the audio interface, or something else?
Biggtime
Poster

Re: Tascam US-122 audio interface leaking sound between DI'd tracks

Postby OneManBanned » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:32 pm

hmm. i've got one which i used to use regularly until i upgraded to a motu 828mk2. Can't say i ever had that problem. I suspect it may be something to do with the way you've got your signal chain set up....

are you using a mixing desk and how are you monitoring when you record the guitar parts?
OneManBanned
Poster

Postby Biggtime » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm

OneManBanned wrote:hmm. i've got one which i used to use regularly until i upgraded to a motu 828mk2. Can't say i ever had that problem. I suspect it may be something to do with the way you've got your signal chain set up....

are you using a mixing desk and how are you monitoring when you record the guitar parts?

I haven't got a mixing desk, so the basic chain is guitar lead straight into line-in on US-122 with the signal going straight to Cubase where I process it. I'm monitoring using headphones most of the time. I have to say, this one has me confused as I assumed the signal would be pure recording this way.
Biggtime
Poster

Postby Gary M » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 am

Do you have a Mic plugged into any of the mic inputs. The Di input doubles up with one of the mic inputs, if you are recording guitar and you have your speakers turned up then the mic could possibly be picking up the speakers. To be honest I really cant see how this is possible. Please put your exact setup and we will try get to the bottom of it.

cheers

Gary
Gary M
Regular

Postby Biggtime » Thu May 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Gary M wrote:Do you have a Mic plugged into any of the mic inputs. The Di input doubles up with one of the mic inputs, if you are recording guitar and you have your speakers turned up then the mic could possibly be picking up the speakers. To be honest I really cant see how this is possible. Please put your exact setup and we will try get to the bottom of it.

cheers

Gary

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. Just to be clear, at the time the only input is the guitar lead, into the 1/4 inch 'Line/Guitar In' jack socket. There is no mic attached at the time. The headphone output is connected for monitoring, and the left and right line outs are connected to hi-fi system that I sometimes use for monitoring (not ideal, I know) when several people need to hear what is happening. When not, the hi-fi is not even on at the plug. I agree it is odd, and I'm really not sure what can be the cause of it.
Biggtime
Poster

Postby recoder » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

I vaguely remember experiencing something similar when I first started home-recording, also using a Tascam US-122 with the same DAW.

I didn't get the bottom of it either, imagining it to be something I was not getting a grasp of. I remember finding it hard to explain to friends who were more experienced with recording audio than me who were bemused by my explanations.

I long ago switched to Mac/Logic and never ran into this strange problem again, but perhaps it's a DAW issue. Have you searched Cubase forums to see if there's any known software bugs that could cause this?
recoder
Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 pm

When plugging the guitar I assume you're plugging it into the 1/4 input and there is nothing connected to any of the other inputs and you're still getting cross bleed?
I'd check with Tascam on this as it seems like maybe bad wiring. It could also be that there is a software mixer that you somehow let other tracks bleed into your recorded one.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Postby OneManBanned » Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 am

Biggtime wrote:the left and right line outs are connected to hi-fi system that I sometimes use for monitoring (not ideal, I know) when several people need to hear what is happening.

i know it's obvious and you've probably checked, but are you SURE you haven't recorded guitar parts with the hi-fi on?
that would certainly cause your problem.
OneManBanned
Poster

Postby Gary M » Sat May 03, 2008 10:51 pm

No a hi-fi out would not cause the problem at all, the US122 is designed to record and playback audio at the same time. Suspect you have your copy of cubase set up incorrectly.

regards

Gary
Gary M
Regular

Postby Biggtime » Sun May 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks Gary. But in what way do you suspect I have Cubase setup incorrectly?
Biggtime
Poster