You are here

The very best drum mics

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

The very best drum mics

Postby Alex Cleater » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:34 am

Hi all!

I know drum mics have been discussed a fair bit, but I just wanted to try a different approach!

If money was no object (I think that's a different approach anyway!), what are the very best studio mics people would use for drum kits? Obviously all the spot mics for a full kit, but also stereo overheads and room mics as well. Ideally the condensers used would be good all rounders so they can be used for other duties too. Go on, let yourself dream and drool and write a top notch list, unless you already have all these mics, in which case... lucky you!

For kick drum mics, have people seen those mics made from speaker cones that have been wired in reverse to make mics? Does anyone know where you can buy them or are they all DIY jobs?

Thanks loads in advance for your help and suggestions.

Alex =)
Alex Cleater
Audio Support - Experts in Music Technology
The very best in music technology tuition and support for musicians, producers and schools

Re: The very best drum mics

Postby Paul Soundscape » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:15 pm

for the speaker mic jobby its so easy to make your own,
though you can buy the yamaha sub kick which is just a pretty version
if you want to know how to make the speaker mic theres a good post in the DIY section.
Paul Soundscape
Regular

Postby Dave Rowles » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:02 am

hmm.

All these are personal choices on what I think works best on my drumkit for recording, and it's rock/pop that I play.

Kick: Audix D6
Snare: Shure SM57
Hats: Neumann KM184
Toms: Sennheiser MD421
Overheads: AKG C414BXL-II

That's what I'd spend the money on. If I was getting mics for live I'd probably swap out the tom mics for some Shure Beta98D/S.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:54 pm

Well...If I was doing drums today I would want:

Kick: El Diablo which I've been loving recently but I'd want to know that there was a D12 and a 47 FET combination available if I need to revert to that.

Snare: Beta 57 or an SM7...but I'd also want a condensor option as a backup...Surprisingly the GT44 seems to beat most things but 414's are useful. I dont do bottom mics on snare anymore.

Toms: Sennheiser 421s on the top and 414's underneath.

Overheads: It all depends on the style, the kit and the drummer. I'd want three options: Brauner VM1's for the bright attacky condensor thing, Neumanns for the rounded condensor option (either old 87's or Fet47's probably) and Coles 4038's for a ribbon thing. The sound of the kit would determine which to use.

Rooms: One of the above pair would then be moved to rooms.

Hat: Km84

(Smash mic for rock: Old 87 or 47 FET possibly in a bag)

While we're at it I'd want certain pre's and compressors too...I'd want some API pres, some SSL pre's and dynamics...1176s on the room mics...An SSL listen mic compressor (for the smash mic)...A GML for anything that needed surgery...An A Designs EMPEQ or a Pultec for the kick...SSL eq and compression on the snare. Maybe some Neve's on the overheads.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Alex Cleater » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:07 pm

Awesome! Thanks guys! =)

Any more suggestions gratefully received!

Alex =)
Alex Cleater
Audio Support - Experts in Music Technology
The very best in music technology tuition and support for musicians, producers and schools

Postby Mixedup » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Money no object? Earthworks. Along with a few tried and tested old favorites like the D12, SM57 and Beyer M201.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby J. Matthews » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:21 pm

I'd go for...

D6 and subkick on kick
MD421's on toms
Beta 57 on top of snare, normal 57 on bottom

Nice suitable condensers as overheads, as Jack said, there is no point in using something which doesn't suit the kit.

It would be nice to have a ribbon mic as a room mic.

I wish I had all that stuff...

Joe 8-)
J. Matthews
Poster

Postby Marshy15 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:12 am

I'd rather spend a fortune getting Josh Freese to play the drum tracks and put any mics i had laying around on the drums!

Failing that:
Kick D6
Snare SM57 top and bottom
Toms MD421 (maybe D112 on floor toms)
OH C414
Ambient U87
Marshy15
Poster

A computer, some cool mic's and amps.

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 am

I've spent a lot of trial and error getting my ideal kit setup, but it just ends up looking boringly familar!

Kick - MD421 (rock/pop) or D112 (jazz/country/other)
Snare - SM57 top and bottom
Toms - MD421
Overheads - NT5
Hat - NT5
Ambient - U87

The NT5s may seem odd in a 'money no object' setup, but for me they do a perfect job - not too peaky and not too bright. I can lift a lot of top end in those mics without them sounding 'glued on'.

I'm interested in trying a D6 for kick - seems it has a couple of fans out there. I like a really 'hi-fi' kick with lots of very high click in it - 6kHz and beyond. I really prefer the MD421 for giving me that sound, but when I have to tone it down I revert back to the solid thud of the D112.

But we never seem to have enough MD421s...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby p.dakin » Sat May 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Kick - re20 & e602
kick @ 1' - 47fet
Snare - 57b
snare bottom - sm57/e604
hat's - 4050
toms - md421
overheads - 414/u47/u87/SE r1
stereo room - left overs from above
mono room - SE R1 tube
Crunch - md421 or anything really..
p.dakin
Regular

Postby Aural Reject » Sat May 03, 2008 7:31 pm

The Producer Formerly Known As Jack wrote:Overheads: It all depends on the style, the kit and the drummer. I'd want three options: Brauner VM1's for the bright attacky condensor thing, Neumanns for the rounded condensor option (either old 87's or Fet47's probably) and Coles 4038's for a ribbon thing. The sound of the kit would determine which to use.

Rooms: One of the above pair would then be moved to rooms.

J

:D
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster