You are here

What USB interface to buy??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What USB interface to buy??

Postby Zanman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi there

I'm looking for a usb interface that will allow me to:
- Connect a Fender Stratocaster (electric guitar), an electroacoustic guitar and a Shure sm58 (dynamic microphone) to my pc;
- Make the sound of the guitars come out through the speakers of my pc, and have the possibility of changing the tone of the guitars independently (adding delays, chorus or other effects, with decent quality);
- Record the sound of all three simultaneously in different tracks, with decent quality;
- Apply realtime changes to the sound of the guitars, so that my configuration tones won't only be "hearable" once I've recorded the sound;
- Do the recordings/realtime reproduction with my pc with no latency (or unnoticeable latency).

I'm planning to spend up to 200 € to buy this usb interface. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
;)
Zanman

Re: What USB interface to buy??

Postby Guest » Thu May 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Have you got a firewire card? That can save on processing power because some of the units available have built in effects.

This is a USB one for starters but you can check out others they have and then compare prices across the net

http://www.dv247.com/invt/22462/

You'll need a program like Cubase to record it all on where you can stick other effects on like reverb and delay.

Latency settings can be changed within the programs, however if you want low latency you'll have to get a decently powerful PC.