You are here

A6 vs Prophet 08 vs Virus TI vs V Synth vs Motif XS

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

A6 vs Prophet 08 vs Virus TI vs V Synth vs Motif XS

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 am

Hi all, I'm about to splash out on a nice keyboard synth to supplement my small array of rackmount synths (waldorf pulse, ATC-1, Cheetah MS6) and a load of VSTis and sample libraries... itll be nice to have something extra to rock live too... i make hiphop with an electronic bias by the way..

i have covetously eyed up the A6 for a while, and thats my main choice, but i was checking out other options to be sure, and came up with the others in my list above as ones that would have something interesting to add to my setup. I realise they are a real mix from true analogue to VA to digital workstations, but I already have some of all of the above, so its not like theres a special hole that needs to be filled. I just want something fun and powerful to add to my setup.
anyone got any thoughts on any of the above that might help me make my mind up?
(Im still heavily swayed towards the A6 but you never know)
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Re: A6 vs Prophet 08 vs Virus TI vs V Synth vs Motif XS

Postby jrbcm » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:32 am

If you want something really deep and complex, the A6 is a great way to go - and I love the sound of it.

Personally though, the Prophet 08 suits me perfectly. The learning curve is virtually nothing - it's just so elegantly laid out and logical, and it's just got a gorgeous musical sound. I've got a zillion soft synths with all the complexity you could ever want, so this one is for sheer depth of sound, and getting quality sounds quickly. You really should at least hear it.
jrbcm
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:39 am

oh, ok, is the prohpet 08 sound really that special. how do the p 08 and a6 compare soundwise if you ignore all the other features? i like the fact that i could take the a6 on the road and not need much else other than the laptop though, due to its multitimbrality.... but i do like the idea of the p08 too
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 am

oh, and how versatile are the sounds you can make with the prophet? i get the impression you can make pretty much any synthy sound with the a6 if you put your mind to it..?
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 am

I think you should check out the Motif, especially as you already have "synth" type modules and s/w. The Motif has excellent polyphony, a HUGE array of sounds and expansion possibilites.

Although the A6 and P08 are stunning synths, I sense something like the Motif is missing from your arsenal?

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby jrbcm » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:53 am

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:oh, and how versatile are the sounds you can make with the prophet? i get the impression you can make pretty much any synthy sound with the a6 if you put your mind to it..?

Well, the P08 is not as versatile as any of those you've listed - it's got no HPF's for example. But it's a boutique synth for those with plenty of other stuff in their studios. It just does what it does very, very well.
jrbcm
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:09 am

i really am torn - while my head says that a motif may be more practically useful, my heart really wants the ultimate in modern polyphonic synth action (i think this might be my inner 80s child that used to love jean michel jarre and vangelis calling).... aaaaargh... while im sure my position wont elicit much sympathy, it is proving a difficult choice!
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:47 am

All of them are great choices, it's just finding something to fill in the most gaps. IMO, the Motif fits the bill nicely. The Motif also allows for synth expansion boards, including one of the most highly underated modelling synths ever made... the AN1x :lol:

You're best off going to have LOTS of serious play time in your local music store then go with your gut instinct.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:28 pm

oooh its between the motif and the a6 then... finding this hard. real hard. two very different beasts. anyone want to sell me theres for cheap so i can get both ;) seriously though, where other than readers ads is good for finding either of these secondhand? then its not so long til i can buy the other one and everyones happy!
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby snipsnip » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Joe,

I know you are probably posting here for impartial advice, but im erring towards the motif. Your ATC is a big filthy don, and although you have lots of software sample libraries, I think the motif will provide a more accessable platform to those kinds of sounds. I think if you get the a6 you will spend too long noodling and not making music. Also, I think the music you make would possibly be more crossover with a motif, and possibly too niche if it became any more synth heavy.
snipsnip
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:48 pm

true say. spotted the xs6 for 1400 quid new as well, so its not too much more either.... hmmm.... starting to sway that way big time. damnit. damn my rational head. unless someone seriously sings the andromeda's praises soon it could be losing out here...
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby jrbcm » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:49 pm

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:unless someone seriously sings the andromeda's praises soon it could be losing out here...

He'll be along shortly ;)
jrbcm
Regular

Postby hogberto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:29 pm

if you love the A6 sound then, well, nothing else will do.

this is the most beautiful sounding synth i've ever heard, rompler or analogue.

i bought one back in december with the sale proceeds of a jupiter 8 and i've never looked back.

the jx-10 has also gone and the jd-800 is also on its way out the door.

buy one of these and you are unlikely to regret it. :protest:
hogberto
Regular

Postby Seaforth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 pm

Don't forget that Andromedas have had some nasty reliability problems which can be quite hard to spot - i.e. they don't necessarily show up without a thorough inspection, and that can be quite daunting given the complexity of the thing, and the fact that they have to be left to settle for a while after switching them on anyway.

Not something to buy off someone you feel uncomfortable with. If you're good at buying second hand cars you could be laughing but if you're a bit eager to please then perhaps you should find a (slightly) more belligerent friend, who knows Andromedas quite well to do the inspection for you.

It's all quite well documented so a Google search should shed some light.
Seaforth
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I'll probbers buy one new to be honest, if i went for the A6
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby leslawrenson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Seaforth wrote:Don't forget that Andromedas have had some nasty reliability problems which can be quite hard to spot

It is true, that the Andromeda is buggy, but they are well documented, and provided you get one with the latest OS, you should avoid the major pitfalls, such as out-of-tune filters. The only real bug that I notice when programing mine, is that the square wave defaults 50, when the true square is actually 52. Again, it's a well documented bug, and being aware of it allows one to work with it (eg when detuning two square waves against each other, always remember to set them in perfect sync at 52, rather than 50, before undertaking any detune, etc).

Even with all its bugs (and the nay-sayers who don't own an A6 always harp on about those), I'd take the Andromeda over the new Prophet any day.

If you want a Prophet, do the job properly and buy yourself a Prophet 5. ;)

Having said that, I have been tempted, myself, by a Motif rack... Oh, the agonies of choice.
leslawrenson
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:34 pm

ive bought the andromeda on a whim! now to sell all my other kit and buy both.... maybe?
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby hogberto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:27 am

congratulations!

do yourself a favour though and don't buy any other synths for at least a couple of months.

you owe it to yourself and teh A6 to devote your efforts to it exclusively for a while.

enjoy. :bouncy:
hogberto
Regular

Postby Seaforth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:28 am

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:ive bought the andromeda on a whim!

Did you get a new one - if so - where? And do yourself a favour - try to set up a 16 voice unison, without any modulation or anything going on. (After you've let it warm up, tuned it etc.). Then when you press one key you'll be getting all 16 voices and it'll be easy to hear anything iffy. Probably you wonlt and all will be well but I'd still do it, if I was you. Thus spake a pessimist!.

Seriously, I hope you love it. Ple-e-e-enty of scope for years to come.
Seaforth
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:57 am

got it ex-display from an ebay shop for £1245... latest OS and full year guarantee apparently, so seemed like a pretty safe bet..

Im now considering grabbing the Motif Rack as well :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Anyone know how these hold up against the full versions?

then i wont be spending any money on music stuff for a loooooong time..
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Next