You are here

wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby LimitedHeadroom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 pm

I would like to put many (up to 40!) sets of wireless headphones receiving the same signal. Is there any reason this can't be done using one transmitter and all the receivers set to the same channel. There is a budget issue with this so I was thinking of using this as it is the cheapest option I can find.


Thanks
LimitedHeadroom
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:00 am

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby Sam York » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Low power FM using an iTrip or similar?
User avatar
Sam York
Regular
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 am

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby Parker Fly » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm

LimitedHeadroom wrote:I would like to put many (up to 40!) sets of wireless headphones receiving the same signal. Is there any reason this can't be done using one transmitter and all the receivers set to the same channel.

Nope, none at all, and that's exactly how most West End set-ups work. The leads will have their own channel, to give them "more me", which the rest will have a summed mix.

The largest set-up I've used myself in this manner probably had 12 receivers, and there were 2 stage transmitters for better coverage.
Parker Fly
Regular
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:00 am

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby dmills » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:51 pm

IIRC 854Mhz is outside the license exempt band in the UK, so you would need to talk to JFMG about licensing some spectrum.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 am
Location: High Wycombe, UK

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!


Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby John Willett » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 am

Yes, it's all possible.

However, the item you linked to is illegal in the UK (or only legal on a site specific co-ordinated licence from JFMG).

But - THIS is the same thing on a UK de-regulated frequency that you can use anywhere in Europe licence-free.

To be licence-free and legal you need to be between 863 and 865 MHz.

BUT! - You will notice that it's reception range is only 10m (as opposed to 100m for the Sennheiser ew 300 IEM G2 system) and I can't see any mention of a matching transmitter for it. :headbang:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby LimitedHeadroom » Sun May 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks for all your help. The reason we want to do this is for a show (still only in the development stages so not definite yet). But as it is not your regular show the only way fr the audience to experience it is through headphones, but we want them to be able to move around freely as it is not taking place in an auditorium.

The itrip idea would be another possibility that I hadn't thought of, we could just supply audience members with standard radios!
LimitedHeadroom
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:00 am

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby John Willett » Sun May 04, 2008 4:09 pm

LimitedHeadroom wrote:The itrip idea would be another possibility that I hadn't thought of, we could just supply audience members with standard radios!

Illegal I think.

The little transmitters on the broadcast band have a minuscule range and are designed only to transmit from your iPod to a car radio in a sealed metal box that won't disturb other users.

Using it as you describe is illegal and most users will be too far away from the transmitter to receive anything.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby John Willett » Sun May 04, 2008 4:15 pm

You could use something like THIS with lots of extra headphones.

Image

One transmitter and many headphones.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby John Willett » Sun May 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Or you could hire an infra-red system.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby LimitedHeadroom » Sun May 04, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks John,

that sennheiser thing looks perfect! Really reasonably priced as well, although strangely the headphones on their own without the transmitter cost more that the whole system together by £10 (at least on Amazon, not looked around yet)
LimitedHeadroom
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:00 am

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby John Willett » Sun May 04, 2008 4:59 pm

LimitedHeadroom wrote:that sennheiser thing looks perfect! Really reasonably priced as well, although strangely the headphones on their own without the transmitter cost more that the whole system together by £10 (at least on Amazon, not looked around yet)

The headphones are about half the price of the set - but - you are likely to get discount off the set because loads are sold, but not off the headphones as they would probably be special order.

Try contacting Sennheiser sales direct, you may get a special price as it's for trade industrial use.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby chris... » Sun May 04, 2008 6:34 pm

John Willett wrote:
LimitedHeadroom wrote:The itrip idea would be another possibility that I hadn't thought of, we could just supply audience members with standard radios!


Illegal I think.


As I understand it, these things were legalised in the UK (for in car use) a year or so ago.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/rcomms/itrip/

Seems like a backwards step to me - why should the airwaves be needlessly polluted, at a time when car stereos with a line-in or pod-dock etc are becoming increasingly ubiquitous.

As you say, the range will probably be insufficient for the OP's application.
User avatar
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Sunny Glasgow

Re: wireless in ear monitors - any reason this is not possible?

Postby John Willett » Sun May 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Chris Edwards wrote:
John Willett wrote:
LimitedHeadroom wrote:The itrip idea would be another possibility that I hadn't thought of, we could just supply audience members with standard radios!

Illegal I think.

As I understand it, these things were legalised in the UK (for in car use) a year or so ago.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/rcomms/itrip/

Seems like a backwards step to me - why should the airwaves be needlessly polluted, at a time when car stereos with a line-in or pod-dock etc are becoming increasingly ubiquitous.

As you say, the range will probably be insufficient for the OP's application.

Exactly as I said.

For car use, where the transmission range is a metre at most - and - it's all in a metal "Faraday cage" box it's OK. It's also OK to enable you to play your iPod through a home radio, where you are far away from anyone else.

Not for other uses - where it would not work anyway due the the increased transmission range.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ConcertinaChap