You are here

Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

Postby Bunderson » Sat May 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Dameo wrote:they kept buying up all the other music shops in sheffield (academy of sound) and other places like turnkey - no wonder they've messed up- run too fast and you'll fall.

R.i.p - i new something was going wrong when the main sound control branch in the center closed a bit back :frown:

Was this the one near the showroom? I traipsed all the way down there and it was gone. When did this happen? Nowhere else in Sheffield to buy musical goods form now.
Bunderson
Poster

Postby Watty » Sun May 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Tomadvent wrote:The failure to get the basics right was SC downfall as management lost control of the growing empire, but would not allow local managers the authority to sort the problems.

In your opinion. In reality, it was trophy-collecting of failing businesses, ill advised opening of spectacularly expensive stores and competition from e-tailers which killed SC.

Your experiences, while unfortunate, were not typical. In the 6 months I worked at head office, I took one call from a disgruntled customer (of the London store) and I heard of maybe 3 other customer issues in that time. That's pretty good going considering the thousands of transactions done in half a year.
Watty
Poster

Postby Ian Stewart » Tue May 13, 2008 8:10 am

I don't know if it has already been mentioned in this long thread but I walked passed Turnkey yesterday and I noticed two items saying "buy now and and don't pay anything to 2009". Does this mean they have now been bought?
Ian Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Jez Corbett » Tue May 13, 2008 1:12 pm

No, they do credit arrangements through a third party. Turnkey may dissapear completely before then, but the bank that supplies the credit will keep going and still be wanting it's money back from you.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby Collie » Tue May 13, 2008 3:58 pm

They have always done a Buy now pay in 12 months credit agreements through Barclays,I bought some equipment last year on that BNPL scheme.

They aren't allowed to do it now since the Administration,I went into the local branch to get a soundcard last week and some guy was on the Phone to a customer and I heard him say they were unable to do offer the BNPL credit facilities just Cash or Credit card transactions,yet they had a buy now pay 2009 placard on the till,so it probably just an old advertisment.
Collie
Regular

Postby Jez Corbett » Tue May 13, 2008 4:20 pm

I guess they can't remove the sign because it is the property of the bank ;)
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Mahoobley wrote:I guess they can't remove the sign because it is the property of the bank ;)

:bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Tomadvent » Tue May 13, 2008 7:57 pm

Watty wrote:
Tomadvent wrote:The failure to get the basics right was SC downfall as management lost control of the growing empire, but would not allow local managers the authority to sort the problems.

In your opinion. In reality, it was trophy-collecting of failing businesses, ill advised opening of spectacularly expensive stores and competition from e-tailers which killed SC.

Your experiences, while unfortunate, were not typical. In the 6 months I worked at head office, I took one call from a disgruntled customer (of the London store) and I heard of maybe 3 other customer issues in that time. That's pretty good going considering the thousands of transactions done in half a year.

Are you seriously suggesting that with a company the size of SC the fact there were only 4 complaints should be regarded as good - plainly it never occur to you that it simply meant that you were utterly out of touch with what was happening at shop level. Plainly the loss of control was greater than I had ever imagined!
Tomadvent
Poster

Postby Hodgheg » Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Someone in Manchester is either very clued up or very, very jammy: a few months ago a new music shop opened just a stone's throw away from Sound Control's now defunct Oxford Road Manchester store.
Hodgheg

Postby SunShineState » Tue May 13, 2008 9:54 pm

The truth is "music" gear sales is pretty much low margin box shifting with price cutting being the differentiator - I met the MD of Digital Village and threats from internet companies and Thoman etc seem to be hurting the business.

We all want a cheap deal but ultimately we may be partly responsible if local shops go out of business.

Having said that I do think turnkey weren't the best company to deal with - its a difficult balance to get right I guess, but certainly I would rather pay a bit more to have a reasonably local place where you can see and touch gear rather than have it all go internet shopping based :)
SunShineState
Regular

Postby hogberto » Tue May 13, 2008 10:36 pm

looks like there might be news fairly soon about the future of the shops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7398627.stm
hogberto
Regular

Postby MitchT » Wed May 14, 2008 1:02 pm

SunShineState wrote:
We all want a cheap deal but ultimately we may be partly responsible if local shops go out of business.
It's a catch-22 situation. I have experienced the cost of food, gas, electricity, petrol, water rates and council tax going through the roof year-on-year while my employer has recently told me that it can offshore a big chunk of the work I do, so all the overtime has stopped, effectively cutting my income by a third. With less money coming in and more than ever going out on unavoidable 'living', correction, 'surviving' costs, I have to seek bigger and bigger discounts on non-essentials or simply not buy them.

Maybe if the government didn't use such a flawed measure of inflation this type of thing might have been avoided. An accurate headline inflation figure would have revealed creeping inflation many years ago and interest rates could have been edged up a bit to strengthen the pound and nip the inflation in the bud... all at a time when house prices were sufficiently low that borrowers could have withstood the odd rate rise here and there. But now, with everyone mortgage up to the eyeballs, the sort of rate rises that would be needed to bring strength back to the pound and diminish unavoidable outgoings to a sensible percentage one one's income, such that we could afford to support local businesses who maybe charge a bit more than internet suppliers, would cripple borrowers and create something of a catastrophe. Of course, an absence of such rate rises will ultimately lead to inflation in real and unavoidable living costs having the same effect.
MitchT
Regular

Postby Booster » Wed May 14, 2008 4:12 pm

SC operated on an overdraft from the bank. They did this for years. They over extended themselves with the Turnkey purchase and were in talks to sell it and other things off. They had laid off Directors and cut back costs. The bank pulled in the loan before they could finalise anything and that is why they went into administration. That is the only reason. There was no measured decline in support or customer service. Yes local managers couldn't always action what they thought was best for the company. This happens in other chains too. But this is not why the chain went under. Turnkey probably has the worst reputation in terms of customer service, (check the forums) and time and time again people come back to buy there. Bad service doesn't always mean you lose business, as long as you offer good terms and low prices. Even if there was a drop off in business due to bad customer service (or product knowledge et al), it is certainly in no measurable way responsible for the collapse.
Booster
New here
I don't want a signature...

Postby Watty » Wed May 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Tomadvent wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that with a company the size of SC the fact there were only 4 complaints should be regarded as good - plainly it never occur to you that it simply meant that you were utterly out of touch with what was happening at shop level. Plainly the loss of control was greater than I had ever imagined!

Four complaints escalated to head office level is actually very good going for a company which would've turned over in the region of £25 million pounds in that time. If only 4 complaints came through to us then that suggests that the managers were capable of sorting out issues at store level.

Plenty of informed posters on this thread have explained what SC's actual problems were but these explanations seem lost on you with your bitter anti-SC agenda.
Watty
Poster

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Wed May 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Like a moth to a flame.... :headbang:
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext