You are here

Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

Postby Calibre » Fri May 16, 2008 6:50 pm

AudioHero wrote:Turnkey took £700 of my hard earned cash for a soundcard, two days before the administration took over april 30th. I wont be getting any of this back.

I went into the shop and was given the number of their administrators deloitte, a voicemail stating I am not entitled to anything as an unsecured creditor.
Deloitte will contact me in due course, but that just means sod off you arent getting anything. I doubt they can even manage to get my address/tel no right

Turnkey could have at least had the decency to pick up the phone and let me know, would have saved me a trip to central london. I was on hold on the phone for 30 mins while they were doing nothing in the shop.

They could have also let me know as soon as the administration went through rather than finding out 2 weeks after while searching the web and wondering why my product is late for delivery.

Lessons learned:

Always, always use a credit card!!!!! - Dont use debit or cash

Never, ever pay in full for a deposit on an un-delivered item!!!!

Feeling pretty sick right now....

But feeling pretty good about the fact that I just ordered the same soundcard by a new company, just too bad I had to pay basically double to get it here!

Consumers shouldnt get ripped off in this situation. Someone has legally taken my money and is also still selling my soundcard!!!!!

Your experience sounds markedly similar to mine - albeit to the tune of £200 not £700...

I had a soundcard on order 4 weeks prior to the administration taking over...
Curiously, Focusrite changing production plants was always sited as the reason for the delay...
I suspect the real reason is that Focusrite had already abandoned ship...

After a week of unanswered telephone inquires I went down to the Turnkey London store and was greeted with the "good" news about their assets having been frozen and their not being able to release monies/stock etc.
The manager stated that the new owners would likely assume debts created by the prior owners so its possible we could be reimbursed in a few weeks time...

All sounds rather tenuous to me so I'm looking into independent legal advice...

:madas:
Calibre
New here

Postby Steve Hill » Fri May 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Calibre wrote:The manager stated that the new owners would likely assume debts created by the prior owners so its possible we could be reimbursed in a few weeks time...

All sounds rather tenuous to me so I'm looking into independent legal advice...

:madas:

I'd save your money... sorry. But I've worked for a boutique firm of insolvency lawyers and I've worked for Deloitte's main UK rival, and no amount of opinion shopping will change the reality.

If the manager you mention was spouting a party line dictated by directors, that's worrying. Anyone buying the business has NO obligation to pay off existing creditors, and almost certainly won't (unless he's a reformed-Scrooge-philanthropist type!!).

If the directors were telling staff to tell customers everything would be OK, that is however another nail in the directors' coffin and the authorities need to know about it.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tomadvent » Mon May 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Is this the first signs of the sell-off - discounts at the clearance centre used not to be as good as this:
http://clearance.soundcontrol.co.uk/index.php.
Tomadvent
Poster

Postby comradec » Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Tomadvent wrote:Is this the first signs of the sell-off - discounts at the clearance centre used not to be as good as this:
http://clearance.soundcontrol.co.uk/index.php.

Browsing through the clearance page - which isn't a new feature even if it has been updated today for the first time in a while - I can't anything exceptional about it.
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby Gelled_Fringe » Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 am

where is rupert pfaff?
Gelled_Fringe
Regular

Postby Tomadvent » Tue May 20, 2008 1:04 am

I thought the discounts in backline and the few "quality" guitars seemed greater - (and there is stuff on offer across the stores which used not to happen too much as it was about clearing sticking stock from particular stores) - than used to be the case - (but then I have looked since late last year) - and it in any case it blatantly runs counter to the Administrators declared intention of not offering "silly" discounts?.
Tomadvent
Poster

Postby subsonicworld » Tue May 20, 2008 1:29 am

Just to clarify. The clearance website has been up and running for a number of months now. What's on there has not changed since the administration process. In fact, some of the stuff 'on offer' is in closed stores... so that's not going anywhere for now.

There is no resolution as yet. Not that it matters to me anyway, I start my new job after the weekend. I wouldn't bother getting involved with the rumours though. Everyone thinks they know what's going on, most of it is conjecture.

Once the dust has settled I'll have a few stories to tell I'm sure. I've certainly learned how to be a better customer.

Good times
subsonicworld
Poster

Postby alanwatts » Wed May 21, 2008 11:09 am

It would seem that Carillon has just been dissolved also. The remaining staff have been laid off...
alanwatts

Postby The customer is mostly worng » Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm

where is rupert pfaff?

Sleeping on a bed made of money with lots of beautiful women.
The customer is mostly worng

Postby stinkfinger » Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 pm

HAHA! to everyone at turdkey and un-sound control, less a few of the decent guys at the leeds store.
stinkfinger
Regular

Postby Watty » Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 pm

stilts101 wrote:HAHA! to everyone at turdkey and un-sound control, less a few of the decent guys at the leeds store.

Must be very proud of yourself for such an intellectual post. Now run along before mummy catches you on her computer and sends you to bed.
Watty
Poster

Postby John Willett » Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 pm

Watty wrote:
stilts101 wrote:HAHA! to everyone at turdkey and un-sound control, less a few of the decent guys at the leeds store.

Must be very proud of yourself for such an intellectual post. Now run along before mummy catches you on her computer and sends you to bed.

Agreed - not helpful. :frown:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby whitecat » Wed May 28, 2008 1:21 pm

heard today that Arbiter may have picked up the pieces and bought the assets of Sound Control... just a rumour, but we'll see what transpires.
whitecat
Poster

Postby Watty » Wed May 28, 2008 1:45 pm

terminal3 wrote:heard today that Arbiter may have picked up the pieces and bought the assets of Sound Control... just a rumour, but we'll see what transpires.

Wouldn't have thought they'd financially be in a position to buy the entire company. More likely just the bigger stores.
Watty
Poster

Postby c0ley » Fri May 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Hey folks, this is my first post and, sadly, it has to be on this one.

Basically, like 99.9% of everyone else who has posted so far, I feel for the front-of-shop staff at SC. I've spent the past 15 years or so buying gear from their Dundee shop and (occasionally) their store in Edinburgh, and the guys were top notch. Unbelievably, I actually purchased a couple of items from the Dundee store yesterday for the first time in a couple of years (I've been "out of the scene" for a while) and didn't know they were administration until later. I then took a walk down at lunchtime today to see the shutters going up. It sounds a bit naff, but I do feel like a bit of my childhood has disappeared - I spent many Saturday afternoons as a nipper with my face pressed against the windows oggling at the latest Korg workstation or the Akai S-whatever sampler, dreaming that one day I would own kit like that (which I eventually did, having purchased it at the very same SC store).

A couple of things I'd like to point out. Firstly, certainly at the Dundee shop, many of the staff seemed to have been there since the year dot (or certainly seemed to work there for yonks), and never put a foot wrong when selling me the latest gizmo. I never caught any of their names, but there was a ginger (or maybe a strawberry blond :smirk:)-haired guy with glasses who had certainly been there for as long as I can remember, so I'd just like to say, mate, if you're reading this, good luck with finding a new job; I can't imagine dedicating half your life to a job only to see it disappear like this. So, for those of you who are (quite rightly) fuming that you've lost out on £500 for a unit that's unlikely to arrive, spare a thought that you can contact your credit card company, whereas the front-of-shop guys don't have the same luxury.

Sorry this has been a bit of a long post but, to sum up, good luck to the front-of-shop guys at Dundee and elsewhere, from one satisfied customer.
c0ley

PreviousNext