You are here

Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri May 30, 2008 3:03 pm

terminal3 wrote:heard today that Arbiter may have picked up the pieces and bought the assets of Sound Control... just a rumour, but we'll see what transpires.

that would be historically ironic.... given Ivor's start in the industry..,...

;)
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Mostly Retired from Audio.... If I already know you I'll help,  if not....    Ask Hugh Robjohns, unless that is you're in need of 80's shred guitar... that, I'm still interested in having fun with...

Postby comradec » Fri May 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Apparently the Newcastle store closed today.

The word is that Arbiter is buying six of the stores and another company is buying three more.
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby comradec » Fri May 30, 2008 3:09 pm

c0ley wrote:Firstly, certainly at the Dundee shop, many of the staff seemed to have been there since the year dot (or certainly seemed to work there for yonks), and never put a foot wrong when selling me the latest gizmo. I never caught any of their names, but there was a ginger (or maybe a strawberry blond :smirk:)-haired guy with glasses who had certainly been there for as long as I can remember, so I'd just like to say, mate, if you're reading this, good luck with finding a new job; I can't imagine dedicating half your life to a job only to see it disappear like this. So, for those of you who are (quite rightly) fuming that you've lost out on £500 for a unit that's unlikely to arrive, spare a thought that you can contact your credit card company, whereas the front-of-shop guys don't have the same luxury.

I hope the ginger guy gets to see what you've written. It's nice to receive positive feedback even if a wage packet is even nicer.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby Parker Fly » Fri May 30, 2008 3:14 pm

comradec wrote:Apparently the Newcastle store closed today.

The word is that Arbiter is buying six of the stores and another company is buying three more.

Arbiter, with some of the management team (including Crozier and Jermaine) from Sound Control are purchasing 6 stores (with perhaps 1 or 2 more).

PMT are about to purchase 4 other of the stores.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby Boogaloo20 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Sadely I wasn't one of SC's satisfied customers. I did visit the Milton Keynes shop on many occasions and purchased a few items. Total spend around £800.

However, each time I visited I became more and more dispondant about the place. Don't get me wrong, loved the store in MK. Spaciously laid out , fair amount of stock. But, and here's the big but, the staff - most unhelpful, uninterested, unenthusiastic bunch I have ever met. Sorry, lads in MK. But each time I came in the store you were ALL more interested in watching the dame TV DVD , sat around that counter with your feet up (including the assistant manager) with out a care in the world. So I'm sorry, you deserved to loose customers. And , if I had been the manager you would hae been out on yer ear..

I saw customers walking in and walking out..me included.

One last thing - I believe, but can't prove it , that they knowingly sold a dead Mackie Speaker to me ! (OK OK Some say all Mackies should be dead!!) Should have got the pair checked before I left the store. They palmed me off quickly with a demo speaker when I went back. Which was vertually brand new to be fair so I lived with it. I did approach the unhelpful assistant manager to say that if I had problems with either speaker I would return for a full refund... God, he nearly cried on me when I said that. He even walked away from me saying that I needed to discuss it with the Manager. Hope he never got promotion.(now I know why !!)He had the cheak to say that ''no refund would ever be given'' QUOTE. Sadly that lost my custom for ever. Not that they care now !
Luckily Mackie have backed up all warranties.
p.s the speakers are awesome.

Agree with all posters, not nice to see anyone loose their job and I do wish them all well really.

Anyway SC @ MK - learn from your mistakes as you move on in life, remember customer satifaction can be the make or break of your business ....
Boogaloo20

Postby Dave B » Fri May 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Interesting that PMT look like picking some stores up. The one on Cowley Road in Oxford is a good place and I've had a pleasant experience there. Nice chaps and reasonable prices which was handy for my 'impulse buy'. Let's hope that it all pans out for the people concerned.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Watty » Fri May 30, 2008 5:10 pm

c0ley wrote:Hey folks, this is my first post and, sadly, it has to be on this one.

Hey C0ley,

I worked in the Dundee store for 7 years until 2006, probably served you myself over that time. It's refreshing to actually hear someone say something nice about the place in amongst all the usual "SC were awful, they deserved to close etc etc."

The "strawberry blonde" you speak of was Ralph Teviotdale who'd been the manager since mid 2005. All in all, he'd been there for about 14 years so yes, it's gonna be hard for boys like him finding suitable jobs :frown:

Coincidentally, he just phoned me while I was typing this, offering his services as stand in guitarist with my wedding band. I told him about your message and he was genuinely touched :)
Watty
Poster

Postby Takamaster » Fri May 30, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi all.

This is my first post here also and I would just like to say I wholeheartedly agree with the comments regarding the Dundee store.

All the guys were brilliant and I have spent many a Saturday afternoon hanging out up the stairs in the guitar dept.

In particular I would like to thank Bobby and Rory (I think he was the assistant manager) for all the advice over the years. There is nothing these two don't know about guitars and amps (and everything else!) and they were alway's more than happy to share their knowledge with us humble amateurs.

Thanks again guys and I sincerely hope you get sorted with new jobs very soon.
Takamaster

Postby Sle » Fri May 30, 2008 11:09 pm

Went into Turnkey yesterday, and the place was like a morgue. Most people there were reps taking back gear, Roland and Line6 that day, and about 2 members of staff. Barely any stock left and no discounts.. A completely ignominius end.
Sle
Regular

Postby Andy Cobley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:07 am

Takamaster wrote:Hi all.

This is my first post here also and I would just like to say I wholeheartedly agree with the comments regarding the Dundee store.

Well this isn't my first post here, but I'd like to echo the words said about the Dundee Store. I've been shoping there for the past 6 or 7 years and always had excellent service and advice.

Thanks to all the guys there, I hope something good turns up for you all soon.

Andy
Andy Cobley
Regular
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/rtwoproject

Postby bequick_x » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 pm

I heard from a friend of a friend that SC has been bought out?, I went to the one in birmingham on monday, and looked like business as usual. And as usual i thought the customer service was ****, as i walked to the counter with my strings i thought i was invisible until i said, 'can i pay for these please?' Not suprised they gone bust
bequick_x
Regular

Postby comradec » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 am

bequick_x wrote:I heard from a friend of a friend that SC has been bought out?, I went to the one in birmingham on monday, and looked like business as usual. And as usual i thought the customer service was ****, as i walked to the counter with my strings i thought i was invisible until i said, 'can i pay for these please?' Not suprised they gone bust

I think you'll find the remaining stores are operating on skeleton staffing at the moment, just the bare minimum.

Sometimes, of course, when we complain about not being served sufficiently quickly in a shop, the reason is that the staff are busy dealing with other customers' queries. If you were one of those other customers and a staff member had abandoned you as soon as someone else waved their hand, you probably wouldn't be happy about that either.

That said, someone ought to be at the counter ready to process transactions.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:30 am

Depends. I worked for a time at Richer Sounds and they run on such a skeleton staffing level that they couldn't sit someone on the till just doing orders. But then again, you couldn't buy anything unless you talked to a sales guy so it's a slightly different situation.

I have encountered the same thing on several occasions with staff not seeming to be interested in serving me. Having worked in retail I know the difference between being busy and chatting to work mates. It was the later not the former. But as you say, now they are probably rushed a bit.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Parker Fly » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:59 am

bequick_x wrote:I heard from a friend of a friend that SC has been bought out?, I went to the one in birmingham on monday, and looked like business as usual. And as usual i thought the customer service was ****, as i walked to the counter with my strings i thought i was invisible until i said, 'can i pay for these please?' Not suprised they gone bust

What did you want them to do, patronise you by asking "Do you need any help choosing some strings?". Some people prefer not to be approached, infact some of us find it rude and far prefer to ask for assistance only when we need it.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:10 am

Parker Fly wrote:
What did you want them to do, patronise you by asking "Do you need any help choosing some strings?". Some people prefer not to be approached, infact some of us find it rude and far prefer to ask for assistance only when we need it.

In all honesty, do you feel patronised if a shop assistant asks if you need any help, when you're in a store? :headbang:
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext