You are here

Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

Postby comradec » Thu May 01, 2008 12:24 am

Well said, Seye. It's the fat cats at the top of the company and in the banking sector who are responsible for this problem, not the ordinary workers on the shop floor.

I'm facing redundancy myself during the summer and it's not a good situation to be in, but at least I know I'll get paid for the work I do in the time I have left.

When we complain about the service we get from individual staff at music outlets, we don't always know what stresses they're under, how often they've been denied opportunities for training to get the knowledge we expect of them, the pressures on them to close the deal, and so on.
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby hogberto » Thu May 01, 2008 12:25 am

seye.

thanks for posting here.

hope things work out for you.

where's head office? it was originally in dunfermline, but i'm not sure whether they shifted it down south when they expanded out of scotland.

surely the vacuum will be filled in due course - central scotland could be left with very little indeed in the way of MI retailers - but it may take some time.

i suppose it's easy for the directors at times like this to blame the credit crunch, the impending recession etc. but as often as not it's just good old-fashioned bad management. :frown:
hogberto
Regular

Postby Gary M » Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 am

best of luck to all the staff that have lost their jobs. No mater what you thought of the service this is peoples lives and i hope they have no trouble in finding work.

I think this will have a massive impact on the industry, Many people knew something was brewing its just a shame that it had to go like this. I suppose as they say 'watch this space'

p.s. surprised its not in SOS news.
Gary M
Regular

Postby Jamus » Thu May 01, 2008 12:41 am

Hey dude

Sorry to hear you lost your job.

I work for Sound Control too and was one of the lucky ones. Although none of us who are left are not out the woods yet. After the company or shop is sold we could still be out.

This whole thing sucks bug style. Anyhoo just to add to what you were saying, the following scottish stores are still open:

Edinburgh
Glasgow City
Dunfermline

We lost a few stores up here.

I hope you guys take heed of what my man ubove said. Folks have lost there jobs. Folks with families and mortgages.

And whether you liked the stores or not, the UK has a lot less music retailers in it now.

An spare a thought for Pat Kelly, who started up Sound control with his mate and built it up from a small store to the UK largest music retailer........

He was told to clear out his desk and get out!!!!!
Jamus
Poster

Postby Jamus » Thu May 01, 2008 12:43 am

comradec wrote:Well said, Seye. It's the fat cats at the top of the company and in the banking sector who are responsible for this problem, not the ordinary workers on the shop floor.

Actually the bank pulled the plug on Sound Control. The directors were trying to get private investment in to save jobs but the Bank of Scotland pulled the plug on them before they could
Jamus
Poster

Postby Seye » Thu May 01, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks guys.

The head office is still in dunfirmline but is now shut.

The administrators will be setting up the contact points tommorrow (apparently).

comradec - sorry to hear about your situation.

I'd like to defend the staff. A lot of them are very knowledgable. We actually used to recieve a lot of email commendations from customers who were extremely happy with the service. Unfortunately people tend to remember the one bad member of staff in a store rather than the 10 good ones.
Some of us were active in the industry and knew the products because we used them every day outside of the stores. In our store alone we had 2 recording engineers, 2 live engineers, 2 DJ's and several musicians.

We were always under a lot of stress, our jobs entailed far more than any other I've come across in the retail sector. These are not just monkeys stcking shelves. When you place an order they usually have to chase it through every stage from getting a price to arranging delivery.

Jamus - Good luck mate. Not much more I can say.
Seye
New here

Postby Seye » Thu May 01, 2008 12:55 am

Jamus wrote:
comradec wrote:Well said, Seye. It's the fat cats at the top of the company and in the banking sector who are responsible for this problem, not the ordinary workers on the shop floor.

Actually the bank pulled the plug on Sound Control. The directors were trying to get private investment in to save jobs but the Bank of Scotland pulled the plug on them before they could
In all fairness I think all of us inside the company know exactly where people should be pointing fingers. I wish there was a way of punishing people for corporate negligence leading to the collapse of a company.

We all knew where the company was haemmorraging money. We kept saying it but no one listened. There was no excuse for things getting this bad.

Its a bit late for that now though. I cant see the point in dwelling on it.

As I say, I'd just like people to spare a thought for all those who have been made redundant with no notice.
Seye
New here

Postby leslawrenson » Thu May 01, 2008 1:15 am

This is all very sad indeed.

I, too, got one of those "poaching" emails from Dolphin. It does seem a little insensitive but, as Steve says, that's business!

It would be nice to think that Dolphin will employ some of those who have lost their jobs.
leslawrenson
Regular

Postby Jamus » Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 am

Seye wrote:
In all fairness I think all of us inside the company know exactly where people should be pointing fingers. I wish there was a way of punishing people for corporate negligence leading to the collapse of a company.

We all knew where the company was haemmorraging money. We kept saying it but no one listened. There was no excuse for things getting this bad.

Its a bit late for that now though. I cant see the point in dwelling on it.

As I say, I'd just like people to spare a thought for all those who have been made redundant with no notice.

Yup a whole load of bad decisions!!!!

And as an in joke... the legand continues!!!!!

That was a joke bringing that stuff in. and so many other stuff.

Cheers Paul!!!!
Jamus
Poster

Postby Jamus » Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 am

And yeah

the main thing is the staff, the families and anyone else effected.

Spare a thought
Jamus
Poster

Postby colink » Thu May 01, 2008 1:42 am

I'm very sad to read this. I've never had less than exceptional service from Turnkey via mail order, or Sound Control in person. Dolphin have been terrible.

I've been using SC in Edinburgh since the mid 80s and before it arrived here had been over at the Dunfermline store. The staff have always been friendly and helpful with a willingness to do deals to match online prices.

For anyone who doesn't know, or who would be interested, Pat Kelly worked with the Skids and it was the lack of a decent guitar and tech shop that led to Sound Control coming about. Set up to fill a hole in the market and did so exceptionally well.

Edinburgh has just lost one guitar shop, Live Music, in the last few weeks along with a great guitar tech guy so I am hoping SC hangs in in Edinburgh. Other than that we've got precious little left. An end of an era if they go and I'm not about to start buying guitars over the internet that I can't try out in person first so no idea what I'll do.
colink
New here

Postby Steve Hill » Thu May 01, 2008 7:40 am

Possibly, but the CEO also lent the company £5 million of his own money at a derisory 2% to try to keep it going. He'll have lost that (as well as his job).

But yes, all the employees deserve some respect and sympathy: even those not made redundant must be in a very uncertain position.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Boston Green » Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 am

I've had various crap experiences with Turnkey, I won't go into them again.

Over the last month though i've had to do alot of equipment purchasing for my new PA Hire company, I spread it around to save some ££'s here and there, and because of stock I ended up making quite a few purchases from Turnkey (despite my better judgement).

I have to say, all these recent web-buys went very well. A few glitches ...

Ordered a couple of sm58's (with switches), they only had one ..... so didnt send any. I phoned and the web order guy was very helpful, understood my frustration, agreed that the warehouse should of at lease sent the one. They ended up sending one with and one without the switch, and some Neutrik XLR as compo - sorted.

Ordered a 4u Gator case, they emailed me to say it was out of stock, they sent me a 6u as replacement at no extra charge - sorted.

I have to say the web order staff have been very helpful in dealing my recent purchases and problems ......

Hehe, and sounds like I got lucky, as the last web order item I was waiting on (my comp/gate/limiter) arrived yesterday :lol:

Can I claim a prize for the last box Turnkey Web shifted ? :lol:
Boston Green
Regular

Postby Parker Fly » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 am

philetaylor wrote:one interesting thing is that 3 directors resigned on 09/02/08, Raymond Miller and Alan Gavin who both held 45000 shares. Also Grahame Burgess who was their chartered management accountant and holder of 22143 shares resigned.

There is a considerable mileage in that fact, not least that Ray Miller is now running Gibson UK.
Parker Fly
Regular

Postby Ian Stewart » Thu May 01, 2008 9:12 am

I always got good service from Turnkey but have not bought anything in the last three years or so.

For me it was never so good after the renovation. It did look like one of the old electrical spare parts workshops of previous decades but it seemed to work.

It seems to me that so many companies start small, expand at a fast rate and then collapse. What is wrong with starting small and staying small?
Ian Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Brian Moynihan » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

Ian Stewart wrote:
It seems to me that so many companies start small, expand at a fast rate and then collapse. What is wrong with starting small and staying small?

I've though about this too, I think the whole nature of business education in the Western world teaches the ideal of ever expanding business. You are a failure if you simply 'maintain' a set size and service level. I guess it's connected to how the measure of success used by industry and the government is solely profit, but never anything like a greater social value or the happiness, security and job satisfaction of the staff at the business!

A funny story about 15 years ago I was working in a small office of a huge pharmaceutical company, my job was somewhere between 2 and 3 on a rung of janitor (1) to CEO (10). Me and my office pal used to talk about the company circulars they sent out every month, it seemed they were buying this company, expanding here, swallowing up this contractor here, expanding into Malaysia etc etc Even though we were small fish, we used to both say that the place only had a few years left before it went bust, because it was expanding like a balloon, even though all the announcements kept saying how good the business was doing. About 4 years later we'd both left for other places, but I couldn't help but chuckle when I received legal documents to sign for cashing in my shares as the company was being dissolved by the administrators.
Brian Moynihan
Regular

Postby Paradigm X » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 am

For those of those made redundant, you have my sympathies.

It happened to me once, literally turn up to work one day and found out company bust, no job.

You can talk to the department of trade and industry (DTI). I managed to get a months wages (or most of it, was a while ago now) from them due to the circumstances, and a tax/NI break too. Have a look on their website or ring them up.

Hope thats useful.

Regards

Ben
Paradigm X
Regular

Postby Steve Hill » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 am

For employees, start here , although the administrators should have dished out the usual (and actually quite helpful) government leaflets.

Subject to the £330p.w. limit, employees' claims (including any arrears of holiday pay etc) are guaranteed by the government.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Craig » Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 am

From Turnkey's website....

Apr 30 2008

No orders can be placed on this website.

Please note:

John Reid and Bill Dawson of Deloitte, the business advisory firm, have been appointed Administrators of Sound Control Holdings Limited (“Holdings”) and certain of its subsidiaries (“the Group”) following applications to the courts by the Group’s Directors.

The joint administrators manage the affairs, business, and property of the company, for the duration of the administration.

The joint administrators act as agents of the company, and do not personally adopt any contracts that may have been entered into by the company, prior to their appointment.

The Group operates from 26 stores across the UK, under the brand names Sound Control, Media Tools, Turnkey and Soho Sound House.

The Group has been impacted by increased competition from the internet, and the directors had been pursuing a strategy to sell the business. This did not prove successful and accordingly they sought the appointment of John Reid and Bill Dawson as Administrators.

Following a review of the Group’s operations the Administrators have made the difficult decision to close 10 of the Group’s trading locations and bring to an end its telesales and internet sales activities.

“The Administrators welcome interest in the business and assets of the Group and are already in discussions with a number of interested parties to explore a possible sale.

The Administrator will continue to trade the remaining 16 stores, selling high quality musical instruments to the public.

The Group's head office is based in Dunfermline and has various trading locations throughout the UK.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Seye » Thu May 01, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for all the info and good wishes :)

From Turnkey...
Turnkey store, and the following Sound Control stores remain open for business:

Birmingham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Glasgow City
Leicester
London
Manchester Salford
Norwich
Sheffield
Dundee
Newcastle
Stockton
Stoke
Dunfermline

Unfortunately the following stores are now closed.

Derby
Glasgow West
Hull
Kirkcaldy
Leeds East
Manchester City
Milton Keynes
Nottingham
Preston
Southampton

However I'm pretty sure that Newcastle is shut though so that might not be quite right.
Seye
New here

PreviousNext