You are here

female vocal mic - 'old' sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

female vocal mic - 'old' sound

Postby moonshot » Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi. I've had a look through the other posts, but so far haven't found the info I'm looking for.

I have a female vocalist who has a lot of 'nooks & crannies' to her voice, (as in she has a lot texture and richness), but I am having trouble getting this to record properly. She has an 'old/retro' sounding voice. The only thing I have heard that comes close is 'Feist', especially the latest album. Do I need to change the mic I am using (Rode M3), or is it about filters/effects etc? I really want to bring out the warmth of her voice, but don't want to resort to effects because she naturally 'has it'.. I just can't get what you hear when she sings live to record.

I'm willing to invest in a decent model. I've been looking at the AKG Perception and the Rode NT2-A.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
moonshot

Re: female vocal mic - 'old' sound

Postby Steve Hill » Thu May 01, 2008 4:38 pm

I doubt it's about filters and effects but it may well be to do with the available budget... capturing a natural singer and keeping her sounding natural is, sadly but perhaps predictably, what mic designers aspire to... and spare no expense achieving!

If you were to hire a really top end mic or two for a couple of days, you'd see what you were missing and why. And probably depress yourself at the cost!

If it's a really crucial part of the recording, have you thought about putting it all together with maybe just a guide vocal, and tracking the vocal proper in a studio?
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ROLO46 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:32 pm

A vintage ribbon with zing

This can be great with female vocals.
ROLO46
Frequent Poster

Postby ghr » Fri May 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Most of Feist's vocals on her new album "the reminder" were recorded with a U67 and SM57 both going into a Vox guitar amp. The amp was then miked with a SM57 and U87, going into a Neve A646.

There's an inside track article in SOS April 2008, which is where I got that info from.

Gareth
ghr
Poster

Postby Steve Hill » Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm

That'll be about £12,000-worth of signal path then!
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby robmull » Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Or you could just run the voice through a guitar amp simulator...
robmull
Poster

Postby moonshot » Sun May 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Thank you for all the responses.. certainly gives me a lot to ponder on. I'd love a U67 (who wouldn't?!), but sadly I can't afford one just yet. My limit is about £1k, so if anyone has any suggestions for that price bracket then please advise.

This is the voice that I'm working with, http://www.moonshotmamma.com/dearlydeparted.mp3 This is a rough track (not recorded by me), but should give you an idea what I mean about her sound and what I'd like to achieve.
moonshot

Postby Chopsy » Wed May 07, 2008 1:31 am

The Blue Baby Bottle is supposedly good for female voices and has a distinct darker tone like older vintage mics.
Chopsy
Poster
"We deal in junk, you know; What we've got is what other people put in the rubbish bin." - Joe Strummer.

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 am

moonshot wrote:I'd love a U67 (who wouldn't?!), but sadly I can't afford one just yet. My limit is about £1k, so if anyone has any suggestions for that price bracket then please advise.

An older used U87 wouldn't be totally out of reach for that kind of price. You might have to look further than Ebay but they're out there.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page