You are here

Can anyone help me save my DX7 patches ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can anyone help me save my DX7 patches ?

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 pm

I have a Design Labs RAM cart in my DX7, one of the banks has become corrupted, I've tried all the usual tricks, leaving it on to charge it up, cleaned the contacts, and just left it for a while, but it's not having it, I just can't seem to get that bank to load. I do have the patches stored on floppy for the Alesis Data Disc, but I'd rather not have to go to the trouble of getting my mate round with his data disc just to do this job. I did store all of my patches on the computer as a Midi file, but ca I find it ?.....NO !

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: Can anyone help me save my DX7 patches ?

Postby desmond » Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 pm

What do you expect us to be able to do? Fix your broken cartridge by thought control..?

hang on, lemme try...

...did that work? ;)

If it's custom patches in the cartridge, then you'll just have to recover them by whatever means you have (ie your backup files/disks)...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 02, 2008 7:07 pm

desmond wrote:What do you expect us to be able to do? Fix your broken cartridge by thought control..?

hang on, lemme try...

...did that work? ;)

If it's custom patches in the cartridge, then you'll just have to recover them by whatever means you have (ie your backup files/disks)...

Well I was actually expecting a bit of telepathy, or at least something vaguely superhuman ?

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri May 02, 2008 7:21 pm

Are you only interested in retrieving the factory patches or were there some of your patches in there?

I did not want to empath as the force is strong in me and as a moderator I was concerned that you might not be able to handle it.

Zukan

Postby desmond » Fri May 02, 2008 7:28 pm

arpangel wrote:Well I was actually expecting a bit of telepathy, or at least something vaguely superhuman ?

Sounds like a job for... SuperForumGuy!!!

It they weren't custom patches, then there are about a bagazizzleoolian DX7 patches out there in net land, so you could probably re-find them. But if the cart really is playing up, you might not be able to get at them that way, so backups may be your only solution...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Scope » Sat May 03, 2008 12:19 am

You can repair old carts, but its cheaper to buy another one !
In repairing it, the ram chip is usually wiped.
So you would most likely loose the contents anyway.

At 25 years old, the chip has not done badly.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat May 03, 2008 12:56 am

just a thought like.... Tony, have you tried loading other banks on other carts?? just wondering if giving the synth a good service, and cleaning up the contacts on the Cart port on hat side of things might help??
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 03, 2008 9:16 am

Max! wrote:just a thought like.... Tony, have you tried loading other banks on other carts?? just wondering if giving the synth a good service, and cleaning up the contacts on the Cart port on hat side of things might help??

Thanks Max, but yes,I've tried all those things. Other banks load fine, its just this one bank that wont load, the Design Labs cart has eight banks on dip switches, and has gone wrong before, but it hasn't worried me, and I just normally reformat that bank and re-load. But I don't have my Data Disk anymore. I did read somewhere that someone did mange to get their sounds back, but can't remember how. These aren't factory sounds either, all the sounds in this cart are my own.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 am

some superservisol thru the dip switch and repeated moving of the switch itself to clear it?/ those DIP's are often easily cruddified.... (yup, nice new word for you... ;) ) and that might account for it...

it is of course, depressingly possible that the Chip is fried and you have no option other than to get your friend and his disk machine round to try to retrieve your old back up .....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 03, 2008 9:55 am

I haven't tried squirting Servisol in the dip switches themselves yet, I am now doing it !!!! Will put it in the DX and see if that does any good.........................................................
No, it didn't ! Just keeps saying "FORMAT CONFLICT" I'm just going to have to reformat that bank and pop round to my friends house at some point to re-load them, and this time I'm saving to whole lot to my sequencer and will do a back-up of that on a memory stick.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 am

Tony... incidentally, FM7/FM8 and some other FM soft synths, can import and use DX patches....

(Dump the data over midi)

so backing up into the PC , and importing into them, as well as keeping the raw files... would make sense...

if you see what I mean....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 03, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Max, I've reformatted a couple of banks, two were actually corrupted, I've stored new pathes in them and they seem to be fine. I've manage to get FM7 today, so I'll use that in future to import and store my sounds.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster