You are here

Computer not recognizing microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Computer not recognizing microphone

Postby bobbyHoellwarth » Sat May 03, 2008 12:07 am

I am using an AKG microphone and a Eurorack mixer, and attempting to record vocals. I have done it before on my computer, but now it is not recognizing the input.

My mixer is hooked up to a cord that becomes a 1/8" phono and goes into my audio-in port. I have tried it in the mic-in port also.

The strange thing is, when I talk into the mic, it will come out my computer speakers and sound ok, so I know the computer is getting the input somehow. But when I record with AcidPro or Sound Recorder and talk into the mic, it doesn't record anything at all.

Does anyone know why this could be happening and how to fix it?
bobbyHoellwarth
New here

Re: Computer not recognizing microphone

Postby moo the magic cow » Sat May 03, 2008 12:33 am

You need to go into Windows Volume Control. If it's not in the bottom right taskbar you can get to it through Control panel->Sounds and Audio devices->Audio tab->Volume.

After opening Volume Control, go to Properties from the top menu, and set it to adjust volume for Recording. If I'm guessing right, either line in or mic will be muted or pulled down to zero. Pull them back up, but be careful, as you can distort if you set them too high.
moo the magic cow
Regular

Postby bobbyHoellwarth » Sat May 03, 2008 6:27 am

I tried that, and the line-in was pretty low so I changed it, but it is still not recording. When I try to record the result is a flat line with no sound.
bobbyHoellwarth
New here

Postby _.jk._ » Sat May 03, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't know about acid pro, but i think sound recorder only takes input from an actual soundcard microphone slot.

In acid pro you will probably have to set something up.

James
_.jk._
Regular

Postby thescientist » Sat May 03, 2008 4:33 pm

i would double check you're drivers and maybe reinstall the recording software? I would first suggest what kempo said about looking in the prefrences/setup for acid pro and making sure its recognizing the inputs you're trying to use.
thescientist
Regular