You are here

The old Cubase Studio vs Cubase 4 thing

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

The old Cubase Studio vs Cubase 4 thing

Postby modula » Sun May 04, 2008 10:07 am

I know that the technical differences between baby cubase and big cubase have been covered before, but I still have a couple of questions....
I hear Cubase 4 has better EQ than Studio - is there really that much difference in people's opinions? Are the differences in routing that vital?
Also, I tend to make songs with many many channels - is there a track limit at all in Studio please?
Thank you!
modula
Poster

Re: The old Cubase Studio vs Cubase 4 thing

Postby EnlightenedHand » Sun May 04, 2008 2:07 pm

As a frequent user of Cubase 4,(the full version), I have found that I like the full version more than the studio version. But if you really want to look at the feature comparison then you should look Here .

There are many little differences that really won't start to show their heads until you get down to the serious business of recording and mixing but it basically comes down to the full version having a few key features that make all of the difference if you're a very serious hobbyist or recording professional. If you're just starting out or not that serious then there is no reason that you couldn't get along with either of the scaled down versions of Cubase.

As far as the EQ concerned, Cubase has always been,IMO, a bit shabby in their regular channel EQ but they seem to have corrected that problem for certain with their Studio EQ plug-in. The regular Cubase EQ is a bit *honky* sounding to me, especially when you get to seriously boosting or cutting. The filters just distort a bit too noticeably for my mixing and as I said it has always been so but the new Studio EQ is quite good indeed. It's very transparent to my ears at least. I don't hear the distortion or honky-ness at all when I apply the EQ filters and what goes in comes out sounding very natural. I happen to prefer it to the Waves Q10 paragraphic, which is a great EQ but a bit on the rough sounding side,(just a bit). I tend to find that plug-in effects are cumulative in a mix so I always want my elements processed as cleanly as I can get them and I feel the new Cubase Studio EQ does a good job at that.

There is a track limit in Cubase Studio but it's so high I don't think that you'll have a problem with that, as well as that it's only limited in simultaneous inputs and outputs and not playback tracks. Really I think that won't be a concern. I've never gotten deep with the routing in Cubase Studio so I don't know if it would be a concern but I do know that the routing in Cubase 4,(full version), is quite good. Finally you can route virtually anything virtually anywhere. I find that's a very useful feature that had been missing for a while.

There's also some file management differences and some included plug in and virtual instrument differences that I don't find an issue because I don't really use the file management system that Cubase supplies that much. I have my own way that I'm accustomed to. The control room feature is also absent in the scaled down versions. I don't really find that too much of a drag though because I set up my cue mixes and talkback with my hardware because I find it much easier to do and much more effective. I figure that for purely recording and mixing in a casual manner you could easily be satisfied with Cubase Studio 4. But if you've got the desire to put out professional quality work you'll eventually end up going to the full blown version. For me the EQ alone is far superior.

Hope that helps,
Liz
EnlightenedHand
Frequent Poster

Postby _Nuno_ » Sun May 04, 2008 6:53 pm

modula wrote:I know that the technical differences between baby cubase and big cubase have been covered before, but I still have a couple of questions....
I hear Cubase 4 has better EQ than Studio - is there really that much difference in people's opinions? Are the differences in routing that vital?
Also, I tend to make songs with many many channels - is there a track limit at all in Studio please?
Thank you!

I use CS4, and the only thing preventing me from upgrading to Cubase is that the upgrade costs about the same as buying Cubase 4 new from DV, and also that there way too many bugs for me to give any more money to Steinberg.

Regarding your questions,

There's no limit in tracks as far as I know. I think there is a limit of input and output busses though.

I can't comment on the EQ as I never heard Cubase 4 EQ.

I am not aware of any routings differences between the two versions, so I don't think they're that significant. I may be wrong though.

For the money you can get Cubase 4 at DV these days I'd go with that. Even with so many functionalities broken in the current version it's still a good deal. There's no reasonable upgrade path from CS4 to Cubase anyway so if you plan on upgrading save some money and just go straight for the full version.
_Nuno_
Regular

Postby modula » Sun May 04, 2008 8:45 pm

Cheers for your help. Certainly more than a beginner so think I'll go for the full version. I tend not to use a computer much for mixing but sometimes I need to, and if I can get a better EQ then that would make a massive difference. I've been using an old school cubase for about 10 years and the EQ does nothing but detract from the sound. As I haven't owned any SX versions of cubase I wasn't sure how the bog standard channel EQ had come along....
modula
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Sun May 04, 2008 9:26 pm

modula wrote:Cheers for your help. Certainly more than a beginner so think I'll go for the full version. I tend not to use a computer much for mixing but sometimes I need to, and if I can get a better EQ then that would make a massive difference. I've been using an old school cubase for about 10 years and the EQ does nothing but detract from the sound. As I haven't owned any SX versions of cubase I wasn't sure how the bog standard channel EQ had come along....

Yes, the new EQ is a big improvement on what went before, and I do use some of the facilkities that are in C4 and not in CS4. But, of course, if EQ is your only concern, there are many third party alternatives. I rarely use the channel EQs in Logic or Cubase, and rarely use the bundled one in PT either. There are some remarkably good freeware / inexpensive ones that beat any of them.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby lazygirl » Mon May 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi folks,

I just wondered if anyone knows much about Cubase Essential 4? I've seen the comparison chart but just wondered what people who actually use them think? I'm obviously on a tight budget, but also I wouldn't be recording into Cubase, just importing already-recorded multitracked material to edit and mix. I'm new to cubase so it would be partly to learn the software (I usually use ProTools), meaning that if it's very different from the full version I'd steer clear of it probably. It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!
lazygirl

Postby hugol » Mon May 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Actually I'm not so sure the normal channel strip EQ is any different - just Cubase 4 also ships with the additional Studio EQ plugin. Besides there are much better 3rd party options available either way.

Get Cubase 4 if you need other features, but otherwise save the difference and get some decent 3rd party EQ plugins!
hugol
Regular

Postby EnlightenedHand » Tue May 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Yeah it's not the regular channel strip EQ it's the Studio EQ plug-in. That I was referring to. The channel strip EQ is the same as before.

Liz
EnlightenedHand
Frequent Poster