You are here

can liquid mix effects be used on an input channel?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

can liquid mix effects be used on an input channel?

Postby parkie » Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 am

I've read about there being latency when you use firewaire DSP effects, if thats the case am I right in thinking that if I use a compressor from liquid mix on an input in logic it would create extra latency on the input signal? I basically want to know before I buy one if it is only in mixing that you get to use these plug ins. I'd like to be able to put one of those nice compressors over an acoustic guitar and vocals going to 'tape'. I'm using an RME 400 if thats any use to you.

cheers

p
parkie
Poster

Re: can liquid mix effects be used on an input channel?

Postby Wonks » Mon May 05, 2008 12:30 am

Should be OK as long as you can monitor (if you are monitoring when recording) without compression and all the channels being recorded are delayed by the same amount. What you don't want are some channels going direct and some via the liquid mix.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon May 05, 2008 1:26 am

yes, it introduces latency in to the recording chain... as do ALL the various DSP devices, by their very nature. Audio is sent out of the host DAW, thru the DSP, and back again... this takes a ceertain amount of time.... it cannot happen instantly..... thus latency....

in this case it's why it's called liquid MIX..... it's intended to be used in a mix situation, where latency is less relevant, (plug-in delay compensation deals with it. ) not during tracking...
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby R. Spisketts » Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 am

As I understand it, there's absolutely no point applying an insert to your input channels - why bother?

Having a hardware compressor before the audio interface is another matter altogether, I used to do that, but again, it's not really necessary - unless you have wild dynamics (eg, whispering to screaming) in your input signal.
R. Spisketts
Regular