You are here

What's a better mixer - Mackie ONYX 1220 or Soundcraft MFX12

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What's a better mixer - Mackie ONYX 1220 or Soundcraft MFX12

Postby Jelnet » Mon May 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi all

Just trying to get some general opinions - I'm looking for a smallish home recording mixer to integrate with a PC (Win 2K) setup running Logic 4 and various sound modules and outboard. I also record some accoustic stuff like guitar and sometimes vocals. I'm currently using a Behringer Eurorack desk but want something of a more pro quality. The two models mentioned are what I've narrowed it down to so far but are by no means my final choices.

Any opinions/suggestions about these desks or any others most welcome. Sound quality is my main objective - ie. lack of noise, crosstalk, distortion etc.

Here's a few things I like about those mixers so far:

Mackie: Spec
------
Firewire option
ONYX preamps (are these good?)
Less faders - ie. more compact

Soundcraft: Spec
----------
Built in Lexicon FX
Good reputation around Eq(?)
GB30 Mic Pres (good?)

Any help/suggestions appreciated!
Jelnet
Poster

Re: What's a better mixer - Mackie ONYX 1220 or Soundcraft MFX12

Postby Evie McCreevie » Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm

Dunno about the S'craft - but I had a 1220 for a while...

The mic pre's are very good, for the money. You can get better ones by spending a lot more, but for built-in in pre's on a desk for reasonable cash, they're probably the best around.

In contrast, the FW option is a total rip-off - almost a joke. Avoid, unless you can get a s/h bargain.

Be aware that inputs 1 & 2 are mic/inst only - not really suitable for line inputs.

Build quality is great - it's a beautiful piece of kit.

Consider also the Onyx Satellite thingy - it's fantastic value for money - though of course it may not suit if you have loads of line sources and really want a proper desk.
Evie McCreevie
Regular

Postby Jeraldo » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 am

Does the Soundcraft mentioned above have EQ bypass?
The Onyx would.
What about the new XDR2 VLZ3 Mackies? (no bypass there)
There is the Soundcraft Spirit series, has this been considered?

The Yamaha N series deserves a look-especially if computer intetegration is important-the series has unique integration of hardware and software. Not inexpensive. I don't personally know anyone who has used the series, but it seems to have garnered considerable enthusiasm.

Returning to lower price points, there are the Alesis mixers w/interfaces, and just a ton of others at this price point.

You mention the particular Onyx mixer as having a physical size advantage over the Soundcraft because of the SC's more channels and faders. But the form factor of the Onyx seems to require more space in use and transportation than might immediately be obvious. Perhaps an Onyx owner can help us there. Think a bit about exactly what the Onyx FW option does, and decide whether that would be adequate for you. Many find it a bit limited.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Jelnet » Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks fellas for your comments
Jelnet
Poster