You are here

I know this is hugely subjective but...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby magicdog » Wed May 07, 2008 10:47 pm

One went on Ebay this week for about £60 I think... 8-)

All Dog, no cat... :smirk:
User avatar
magicdog
Regular
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Oxford

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby thomomatic » Thu May 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Handlestash wrote:

2 SE3s and a 414 and a 57 to start with then eventually a MD421 and M160. I think I'll keep the C3000b because I'm so used to it.
I should be all set with those I think. I'm not planning to expand the studio to facilitate drums or anything.

Thanks a brazilian! :bouncy:

yes indeed good choice to start and to expand, md421 and m160 for laters! go for it now!
t
thomomatic
Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:00 am

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby Handlestash » Thu May 08, 2008 1:03 pm

I've acutually changed my mind again.
I think I'm going to go for 2 SE2s, an AT4033 and a 57.
The 414 is a little out of budget at the moment. But I think these will be very useful for the next while.
User avatar
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Ireland
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-wall

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby RegressiveRock » Thu May 08, 2008 2:42 pm

Handlestash wrote:I've acutually changed my mind again.
I think I'm going to go for 2 SE2s, an AT4033 and a 57.
The 414 is a little out of budget at the moment. But I think these will be very useful for the next while.

The SE2A is not the same mike as the SE3 and looking it up online, even the Omni lacks the flattish frequency curve that you would expect from such a design.

I spent last night listening to an AT4033 via another thread on this forum. It sounds fine, but it is perhaps not a flagship mike for a professional recording business.

I, personally would: shop for excellent condition, second-hand units to provide the staples for my business. In any case, good luck whatever your choices are. ;)

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Buntingford, Herts
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby Handlestash » Thu May 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Regressive,

Finding second hand Mics in Ireland would be pretty much impossible I'm afraid. Probably as impossible as not getting robbed buying new ones here.
I know the responce isn't very flat on the SE2s but a bit of colouration never hurt anyone and isn't that why god invented EQ in the first place?
As I said in the first post my little studio is gaining momentum through word of mouth. I'm not actively seeking to break into the business as a profession or compete with the bigger studios. I'm happy having a few clients and being able to select who I work with and if it gets quiet I'll have more time to work on my own stuff.

Thanks for all the advice mate :)
User avatar
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Ireland
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-wall

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby RegressiveRock » Thu May 08, 2008 3:40 pm

Handlestash wrote:Hi Regressive,

Finding second hand Mics in Ireland would be pretty much impossible I'm afraid. Probably as impossible as not getting robbed buying new ones here.
I know the responce isn't very flat on the SE2s but a bit of colouration never hurt anyone and isn't that why god invented EQ in the first place?
As I said in the first post my little studio is gaining momentum through word of mouth. I'm not actively seeking to break into the business as a profession or compete with the bigger studios. I'm happy having a few clients and being able to select who I work with and if it gets quiet I'll have more time to work on my own stuff.

Thanks for all the advice mate :)

Best of luck.
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Buntingford, Herts
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Re: I know this is hugely subjective but...

Postby Handlestash » Thu May 08, 2008 4:10 pm

RegressiveRock wrote:
Handlestash wrote:Hi Regressive,

Finding second hand Mics in Ireland would be pretty much impossible I'm afraid. Probably as impossible as not getting robbed buying new ones here.
I know the responce isn't very flat on the SE2s but a bit of colouration never hurt anyone and isn't that why god invented EQ in the first place?
As I said in the first post my little studio is gaining momentum through word of mouth. I'm not actively seeking to break into the business as a profession or compete with the bigger studios. I'm happy having a few clients and being able to select who I work with and if it gets quiet I'll have more time to work on my own stuff.

Thanks for all the advice mate :)

Best of luck.

Thanks man. Again I really appreciate all the advice.
User avatar
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Ireland
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-wall

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users