You are here

USB Splitter / Double adapter?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

USB Splitter / Double adapter?

Postby DarrenSw » Tue May 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi all

I have a USB Soundcard and want to use it with two PCs, not at the same time necessarily but am trying to not have to swap the lead from one PC to the other each time I want to use it.. is there a USB splitter/combiner so I can combine two USB lead? like a double adapter?

Many thanks

Darren
DarrenSw
Regular

Re: USB Splitter / Double adapter?

Postby _.jk._ » Tue May 06, 2008 4:27 pm

nope. why don't you just run a usb cable from both Pc's to the soundcard and then when u wanna use it on the other one just unplug the one ur not using and plug the otherone, you could tie them to the desk with cable ties, or nail a wire holder in, then you wouldn't have to re wire it each time

James
_.jk._
Regular

Postby DarrenSw » Tue May 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Could do that yeah but thats what i'm trying to avoid.. I won't bore with usage explanation but its used in a live situation so needs to be instant access by both PCs

Thanks anyway

Darren
DarrenSw
Regular

Postby chris... » Tue May 06, 2008 5:34 pm

USB doesn't support two computers sharing like that. The device wouldn't know which computer to obey at any given time etc.

You *might* get away with some sort of switcher box where you flick a switch to swap computer. The software may not like that form of hot-plugging though. Sounds quite a brave thing to do live...

I suspect the right solution is to get a 2nd audio interface, so each computer has it's own. Combine the analog outputs in an audio mixer. That's gonna be cheaper and more reliable than trying something dodgy at the USB level.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby monosyllabic » Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 pm

monosyllabic
Poster

Postby Tui » Thu May 08, 2008 10:43 am

Interesting... I could use this for sharing my various dongles between my Mac Pro and MBP. I wonder, could this be done wirelessly? That would be the ticket.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby DarrenSw » Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 am

monosyllabic wrote: GIYF

Many thanks!
DarrenSw
Regular

Postby monosyllabic » Thu May 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Tui wrote:Interesting... I could use this for sharing my various dongles between my Mac Pro and MBP. I wonder, could this be done wirelessly? That would be the ticket.

Try here and belkin make this.
monosyllabic
Poster

Postby chris... » Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Umm - the webpage for the belkin device only mentions one computer.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tui » Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 am

Wouldn't something like an Apple base station be able to do the same thing? Would I need the switcher, plus the base station..?
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri May 09, 2008 11:59 am

maplin do a 4 way switch

(I may be wrong as ive not used one) but I don't think the Apple base station would work. I think the USB is designed for sharing a USB external harddisk.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby DarrenSw » Fri May 09, 2008 12:12 pm

That would have been perfect for my needs... but they no longer sell them! Nightmare!!!

Thanks anyway
DarrenSw
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 09, 2008 3:51 pm

I think we've been neglecting other practical aspects - if Darren wants to use this setup in a live situation so that one USB audio interface can be 'instantly' accessed by each of two computers then I suspect he's going to be disappointed.

Much audio software will have to be re-launched if it ever loses contact with its audio interface, and even if you manage to get a setup where you can plug/unplug a USB audio interface while the software is still running you'll have to be careful to stop the one currently accessing it before you switch over to avoid a crash, and then wait until the next computer polls the USB port and finds the new interface before you can start its audio software.

If you ask me this is a live fiasco waiting to happen.

Honestly, given the low price of many USB audio interfaces (probably not much more than one of those switching boxes) I'd buy a second one as Chris Edwards suggested.

Martin
Martin Walker