You are here

How best to set up an AD/DA with OO2R?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How best to set up an AD/DA with OO2R?

Postby Iwan Morgan » Tue May 06, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I managed to snare an RME ADI-2 on ebay last night. It should be here by the end of the week.

I run a MAC/002R setup.

at the moment my mix room is setup like this:

002 > Mackie Big Knob > Adam A7'S

Which is all fine and simple.

To confuse things a little bit more I am having a small 6 channel transformer based desk refurbished at the moment, which I was hoping to use to sum 3 stereo channels from PT.

Which would leave me with a setup like this:

002 > 6 channel desk> Big Knob >Adam A7'S

I want to incorporate the ADI into this system. At the moment itseems that I could best use it to record A-D from the desk back to pro tools.

Would I be abe to clock Pro Tools to it?

I would like to make use of the D-A as well, as it is supposed to be significantly better than the 002, but this (if I am correct) only works in 2 channels so summing out the box would be ruled out.

Anyway this is my first external A2D/D2A and I would like to set it up to get the most benefit from it.

I Know many people are using the RME with 002's so would be interested in your setup advice.

Phew,

THX!
Iwan Morgan
Poster

Re: How best to set up an AD/DA with OO2R?

Postby Phil O » Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 am

You should be able to slave Pro Tools to the RME via the SPDIF embedded clock. Just remember to set the clock to SPDIF from the Set-up/Hardware menu.

If you decide to go the ADAT route, be aware that the 002 does not support SMUX so you're limited to a 48K sample rate.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Phil O
Frequent Poster