You are here

Which Cubase?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Which Cubase?

Postby RichD » Wed May 07, 2008 1:35 am

Hello everyone,

I am about to invest in a copy of Cubase, but I am a little confused as to which version. I used Cubase SX3 while I was at uni and would like to stick with that as I know how to use it quite well. I am mainly interested in VST as I am a semi pro DJ and want to get back into production I would like audio capability for samples though. I am struggling to see what the different versions offer as it appears that Essential has all I need? Any advicewould be great.

Rich
RichD
Poster

Re: Which Cubase?

Postby EnlightenedHand » Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 am

Check out this Feature Comparison Chart .

If you find that the things that you actually need are in the scaled down versions then those are the ones that you might want to roll with. If you find that after some time you need more then you can always upgrade at a significant discount, no big deal at all.

Liz
EnlightenedHand
Frequent Poster

Postby AllyB » Wed May 07, 2008 11:03 am

sounds like ableton live would be much better for you.. www.ableton.com or you can buy my copy of sx3 which i never use?
AllyB
Regular

Postby Mike Craig » Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 am

If you like Cubase, then stick with it.

Any of the Currently available versions will allow Sample manipulation and use of VST instruments and effects.

Mike.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Binman_UK » Wed May 07, 2008 11:34 am

AllyB wrote:sounds like ableton live would be much better for you.. www.ableton.com or you can buy my copy of sx3 which i never use?

Ableton's excellent for working with loops and samples. I currently use Cubase SX3 but want to switch to Ableton.. just need to find the time to sit down and learn it properly.

If you like Cubase and want some more powerful sampling ability, you can always use it with Native Instruments Kontakt, which is the proverbial dog's b's from what I've seen :).

Binny.
Binman_UK
Poster

Postby RichD » Wed May 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks guys,

Im not so worried about sampling audio as I want to record bass and guitar through a direct audio interface then use the amp simulator and effect to get the sound I want. The rest of the tracks I would wright with VST. I am looking to produce funky house and electro.

If I get the essential version I only get halion so I would need to purcahase some synths. I used the Novation NovaSynth at uni and I quite liked that. Can anyone recomend any good synths I may be able to use. I have used reason as well so Im definately going to get that to rewire in the drum and instrument sampler.

I would stick to using reason as standalone but I found it a bit too limited.
RichD
Poster

Postby Mike Craig » Wed May 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Rich,

You can download demos of many popular VST synths.

This is how I would recommend starting off.

Here is one to get you going:

http://refx.com/downloads/Vanguard/WIN_Vanguard_Demo.exe

And here is a page full of Native Instruments'Demos.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=demoversions_us

I would recommend trying "Battery" for your drums.

Mike.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Binman_UK » Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Mike Craig. wrote:And here is a page full of Native Instruments'Demos.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=demoversions_us

The Native Instruments Pro-53 gets my vote as my favourite VST. I bought a Creamware Pro-12 ASB hardware unit because I like it so much.. can do such a wide range of sounds:

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=pro53press&L=en

Binny.
Binman_UK
Poster