You are here

audio interface question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

audio interface question

Postby mastadon » Wed May 07, 2008 2:25 am

I am looking at the mbox micro, because I want to start working in protools, and also I am looking at the mackie onyx satellite because I've heard they have great preamps and also the price is very appealing!

I know you need to have some sort of acceptable hardware (like the mbox) for protools to work, I am wondering if it will recognize the mackie interface (basically if it will allow me to record via the onyx into protools)?

I have another question, I heard that there were issues with the software bundle on the mackie onyx sat. when running on an intel mac, which mine is!

and also something about the mackie having some flaw that makes it monitor in mono?

can you clarify either of these subjects?

I'd appreciate your help very much,

Don
mastadon
New here

Re: audio interface question

Postby Nick Franklin » Wed May 07, 2008 3:33 am

mastadon wrote:
I know you need to have some sort of acceptable hardware (like the mbox) for protools to work, I am wondering if it will recognize the mackie interface (basically if it will allow me to record via the onyx into protools)?

No, you can't record through any other interface into pro tools. Am I also correct in believing there are no inputs on the micro? I think its more of a thing for people to mix on their laptops. If you are partial to the onyx pres, you might consider buying that 8 channel one they have...but I'm not a big fan of it. You will need a different interface if you want to record to tools.
Nick Franklin
Poster

Postby mastadon » Wed May 07, 2008 3:51 pm

thank you for your response, bit gutted though!

I would like to have pro tools so I can send my projects off to the HD studios for mastering and the like, but I'm not to keen on the mbox 2 preamps, I heard the origonal mbox has focusrite preamps , can I still use it with the newest version of PT?

I have a budget of £400 for an interface, I want to work in protools, and I'd like the best preamps I can get at this price range, is there any thing like this out at the moment?

I appreciate all the help people!

:D
mastadon
New here

Postby Phil O » Wed May 07, 2008 4:22 pm

The original Mbox will work with the latest version of PT (7.4) running under current OS's. Though how much longer it'll be supported is anyone's guess.

TBH Mbox2 pre's are as good as anything at that budget. And, with SPDIF I/O you can always upgrade later by hooking-up a decent A/D/A converter.

Just my opinion of course. Stand by for a raft of replies saying get Logic ! ! !

;)

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Phil O
Frequent Poster