You are here

Samson Rubicon R6a keeps cutting off

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Samson Rubicon R6a keeps cutting off

Postby jonlebon » Wed May 07, 2008 9:01 am

Hello

I had a pair of these for over 2 years and recently one of the speakers started developing a fault where the sound keeps cutting off for a while and comes back on.
Sounds comes out OK from audio interface and the leads are fine.
Did a search on the site and a someone mentioned a similar problem with one of the Samson amps.

I d like to know what the problem might be and whether its worth taking it to repair since these are worth £250 a pair.

Mant thanks in advance.

J.
jonlebon

Re: Samson Rubicon R6a keeps cutting off

Postby Zukan » Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am

Get an estimate for the repair and then decide.

I have no experience with these so cannot suggest how to fault find without you 'opening' things and I would never suggest that to someone unless they knew what they were doing etc.
Zukan

Re: Samson Rubicon R6a keeps cutting off

Postby Saxum esse et non provolvere » Wed May 07, 2008 11:29 am

I have a pair of Samson Reslov 80a's, and they have a "standby" function whereby they go to sleep if they haven't been fed a decent signal level for a while and only wake up again when the input signal exceeds a certain level. Could this be the problem ? Otherwise possibly the circuitry that provides this functionality could be playing up.

I believe the problem that has occurred with the Servo series of amps is that the relay which prevents full power being applied as soon as the amp is switched on (thereby avoiding speaker thumps and potential damage) tends to fail, and fails in the "off" position".
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Regular