You are here

Could feedback have damaged my soundcard/mixer?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Could feedback have damaged my soundcard/mixer?

Postby Shambolic Charm » Wed May 07, 2008 9:23 am

had a bit of a feedback loop the other day on the mic with an echo fx plug-in going through sonar it got quite distorted before I got there to turn the volume down. thing is, after that there was a distortion on the sound. I checked it without echo on and it is fine. Plays back fine, records fine but once I am going through Sonar with echo on (thats echo on as a in returning the signal, not the effect) the signal is distorted.
So then I changed from spdif out to adat out and it is fine. Have I damaged something connected to the spdif optical out? I
thought it would be unlikely but thats the only thing I can think it would be. Anyone know if this is possible? I have a terratec ews digital card going into a fostex digital mixer.
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster

Re: Could feedback have damaged my soundcard/mixer?

Postby Shambolic Charm » Thu May 08, 2008 11:04 am

no idea anyone? It would be handy to know wether it would be the digital mixer or the digital soundcard that is damaged. So if I give up on the whole think I can sell it with the proper information
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster

Re: Could feedback have damaged my soundcard/mixer?

Postby The Elf » Thu May 08, 2008 11:27 am

Can't see how any data you could pass down an optical SPDIF feed could cause damage - it's simply data, whether it's distorted or not.

Maybe there's an amp stage (separate from the ADAT conversion) ahead of the A/D converter somewhere that's taken the brunt.

But broken is broken, regardless of cause. Knowing why it happened isn't going to help you fix it... :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.