You are here

Latency with Outboard Gear !

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Latency with Outboard Gear !

Postby Sputnik Corp » Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Hello my friends when im mixing im using 1024 samples in Protools HD1
Using outboard gear connected to the Interface of Protools by Analog balanced Outs to Fx Processors do i have latency?

what latency do you have my friends using Reverbs Delays extern in outboard gear
Thanks and sorry my english
i use

1024 samples of latency in protools
i have Mac G5

THANKS !

MacG5, Protools HD1 7.2, SSL Duende,Universal audio card
Sputnik Corp
Poster

Re: Latency with Outboard Gear !

Postby Jack Ruston » Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 pm

OK...what that 1023 samples refers to is the maximum delay compensation time that PT will do in that mode. It allows you to restrict it so that you dont use up too much DSP for mixer delays without meaning to...It's really a hangover from times when processing was at more of a premium than it is now. Typically 1023 samples will be more than enough but some plug ins, particularly phase linear eqs etc will have a long delay that when added to other plug ins will exceed the threshold taking you up to the higher level setting.

In terms of external outboard: When you insert a hardware IO PT will compensate for the exact amount of time taken for the DA and AD conversion required. The digi interfaces, the Lynx Aurora and I think now the Apogee AD 16X and DA 16X have the same latency, and will therefore compensate correctly for ANALOGUE hardware, which to all intents and purposes has no latency. Where things get tricky is when you start inserting things like digital reverbs using an analogue IO because you're introducing a second set of converters with associated delay, which PT has no way of knowing about. In this situation you might need to send a click out through that unit, calculate how much later it is and manually tweak the delay compensation accordingly.

Jack
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Latency with Outboard Gear !

Postby Sputnik Corp » Thu May 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Thanks Jack !!!! Good Work !!!

Ventura
Sputnik Corp
Poster