You are here

What is this mic getting used on toms?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What is this mic getting used on toms?

Postby Persuazion » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Hey folks!

I hate feeling like I'm missing a trick and this microphone has popped up in a few sessions I've seen online...

http://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary/F/Foos_02.jpg?VE1mhD1l5JqWPPXcy9jIEMr_LhbQMyME=&itok=OSW4woZJ

What is it? Looks like a 181? It looks great for positioning.

That is all :lol:
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

http://www.loverslanestudios.co.uk

Re: What is this mic getting used on toms?

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Pretty sure it's a Josephson e22s.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Jack Ruston » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:52 pm

It is. Funnily enough I bought one today. They're absolutely awesome on snare, toms, guitar amps...anything that needs a nice 'complete' natural sound but with a lot of tolerance to high SPL. One application in which it's outstanding which really surprised me is really full-on screamy vocals. The singer can get right in close and just SCREAM and it totally copes with it. Airy, pristine sort of sound, whereas the mics I normally use for that, SM7 or 47 FET are slightly more coloured and darker. Which can be a good thing, but it's a nice option to have. I just wish I could have ordered three of them.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Persuazion » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:It is. Funnily enough I bought one today. They're absolutely awesome on snare, toms, guitar amps...anything that needs a nice 'complete' natural sound but with a lot of tolerance to high SPL. One application in which it's outstanding which really surprised me is really full-on screamy vocals. The singer can get right in close and just SCREAM and it totally copes with it. Airy, pristine sort of sound, whereas the mics I normally use for that, SM7 or 47 FET are slightly more coloured and darker. Which can be a good thing, but it's a nice option to have. I just wish I could have ordered three of them.

J

A Josephson? Pricey buggers! :shock:
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Yeah they're not the cheapest and the exchange rate doesnt help. But that said, if a mic is really great on a variety of things and costs less than a grand then it shouldn't really be considered pricey.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Persuazion » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:20 am

Jack Ruston wrote:Yeah they're not the cheapest and the exchange rate doesnt help. But that said, if a mic is really great on a variety of things and costs less than a grand then it shouldn't really be considered pricey.

Ah, my initial search came up with one at £1200 +. Under a grand isn't bad then.
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:17 am

Like all these things theres usually some 'give'
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 pm

I have seen these here: spam link deleted

What are peoples thoughts on these? Look good for staying out of the way an aggressive drummer unless you have to place them in a way that negates that. How are poeple using them on drums?

GB

Postby John Willett » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Greybeard wrote:I have seen these here: spam link deleted

What are peoples thoughts on these?

Josephson make great mics. - I would certainly happily use any of their mics. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:22 pm

These are amazing all drums and cabs, well worth the money

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm locking this thread.

It seems new-member 'Greybeard' dug up this three-year old thread purely to promote Josephson mics via a UK supplier. His post was closely followed by a supporting comment from another new-member Gizaraz.... both posting from the same IP address. Clearly these are therefore spam posts, presumably to promote the retailer.... which is a shame as both Josephson's and the retailer's good reputations can only be degraded through such obvious and puerile tactics!

Both characters are now ex forum members....

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound