You are here

Just had a hearing test (Pure Tone Audiogram).

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Just had a hearing test (Pure Tone Audiogram).

Postby morganjohnson1232 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:16 pm

It seems like I'm not alone, I just turned 40 and like many people on here, I've been playing guitar since I was a kid. Over the last 10 years I've been careful to use earplugs, but not so much when I was younger. I just got a new job at a local factory and had my hearing tested. Actually, they used an iPad hearing test called SHOEBOX (I found their website - www. shoebox. md), and it turns out that I do have some hearing damage. I have a follow up appointment in a few weeks, I'm hoping it's not that bad. Thanks to everyone for sharing, I'll post an update once I have more information!
morganjohnson1232

Postby 3rdConstruction » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:23 am

Neil C wrote:But if you do all you can to avoid damaging levels already then that is all you can do avoid harm - having a test will not change anything.
As you say a test isn't going to restore any existing loss.

I understand your point if one is already careful about noise exposure :thumbup: , but I suspect many typical naive young folk (such as myself a few decades ago) take robust good health completely for granted & likely do not worry about noise exposure if there's been no obvious immediate consequences :thumbdown: . I would argue that identifying hearing loss early brings the problem to your attention that you can then take steps to minimize further damage, if it's noise induced.

I first recognized I had hearing problems in my early 30's. Mine's a combination of otosclerosis & noise induced. At least identifying it then made me much more conscious and careful about noise exposure.
3rdConstruction
Poster
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

To anyone about to respond to earlier posts just be aware that this thread is over 11 years old.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:30 am

Indeed... it may well be just a drive-by spam poster pushing the Shoebox app... We shall see. :-) I've deactivated the link, anyway...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound