You are here

Speakers for location recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Speakers for location recording

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 am

Ramirez wrote:Hi,
I'll shortly be looking for small speakers for monitoring on location and in less than ideal places.

In such scenarios (in fact, in almost all scenarios) I do most of my work on my AKG K712 headphones, but there is always the need for decent playback speakers for the clients, and sometimes I have to some editing/mixing where others wish to hear what's going on.

I did a project in a shipping container a couple of months ago. I didn't want to haul my main ae22 monitors from my studio, so borrowed a pair of Alesis M1 520 (my old pair, as it happens), and they were OK for playback etc, but I'm looking for something a bit better. I don't wan't anything too big, as pumping a lot of bass into such environments wouldn't be too wise.

I don't feel it would be worth (nor possible, really) stretching the budget to the Neumann KH120 (it would also give my current monitors a run for their money in my own studio, creating more headaches!) The perfect option, I think, would be a pair of Acoustic Energy ProSats, as they would be consistent with what I already use in my studio (ae22). They'e discontinued, however, and haven't seen any used ones. Next on my list are the Equator D5 - I owned a pair before and liked them, and the price is right.
That's about the top end of the budget - is there anything else I should keep an eye for? There is no real urgency here - perhaps I should just wait until I see an used pair of ProSats?

Other approach would be something really cheap like the M-Audio AV40, which may well do the job for playback.

EDIT: The small Eve SC203 recently reviewed look tempting, though I'd really like 5" drivers just so they look more serious (if I was working alone I couldn't care less!). The master/slave format seems ideal for these scenarios too, as the less mains sockets needed the better!

Aled

The iLoud microMonitors come to mind. Doesnt get more portable than that, and they pack a punch.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:07 am

rrose4 wrote:Where can purchase a pair of Abacus C Box 3’s in the U.S? Or get shipped to the U. S?

I can't find anyone, anywhere who has them for sale - or, at the least, has them in stock.

Is a 3" 'woofer' as large as you want to go? The iLoud's as mentioned by CS70 do seem to have attracted excellent reviews.

FWIW when I was in the market for small speakers someone here who did a lot of location work recommended the (now called) KRK V Series 4 speakers:

https://www.krkmusic.com/Studio-Monitors/V4

I bought some and have always been pleased with them.

Here's what she wrote in her blog: http://enlightenedhand.blogspot.com/2010/12/things-i-like-krk-vxt-4.html

Of course, that was 10 years ago. I've had mine for about six. There may well be others that are equally as good/better.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Aled Hughes » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:05 pm

CS70 wrote:
Ramirez wrote:Hi,
I'll shortly be looking for small speakers for monitoring on location and in less than ideal places.

In such scenarios (in fact, in almost all scenarios) I do most of my work on my AKG K712 headphones, but there is always the need for decent playback speakers for the clients, and sometimes I have to some editing/mixing where others wish to hear what's going on.

I did a project in a shipping container a couple of months ago. I didn't want to haul my main ae22 monitors from my studio, so borrowed a pair of Alesis M1 520 (my old pair, as it happens), and they were OK for playback etc, but I'm looking for something a bit better. I don't wan't anything too big, as pumping a lot of bass into such environments wouldn't be too wise.

I don't feel it would be worth (nor possible, really) stretching the budget to the Neumann KH120 (it would also give my current monitors a run for their money in my own studio, creating more headaches!) The perfect option, I think, would be a pair of Acoustic Energy ProSats, as they would be consistent with what I already use in my studio (ae22). They'e discontinued, however, and haven't seen any used ones. Next on my list are the Equator D5 - I owned a pair before and liked them, and the price is right.
That's about the top end of the budget - is there anything else I should keep an eye for? There is no real urgency here - perhaps I should just wait until I see an used pair of ProSats?

Other approach would be something really cheap like the M-Audio AV40, which may well do the job for playback.

EDIT: The small Eve SC203 recently reviewed look tempting, though I'd really like 5" drivers just so they look more serious (if I was working alone I couldn't care less!). The master/slave format seems ideal for these scenarios too, as the less mains sockets needed the better!

Aled

The iLoud microMonitors come to mind. Doesnt get more portable than that, and they pack a punch.

Thanks. But I started this thread in 2016 ;) !!

Incidentally, I did buy a pair of iLoud Micro, and I like them very much!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Yes, sorry about that... it was because new member RRose4 renovated the four year old thread to ask about a retailer for a Swedish active monitor.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Ramirez wrote:Thanks. But I started this thread in 2016 ;) !!

Incidentally, I did buy a pair of iLoud Micro, and I like them very much!

:bouncy:

Great minds, years apart!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous